Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 24-05-2021, 11:41   #1006
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
But do we really want to win?
I'm pretty sure we don't. The winner has to host the following year's contest at huge expense. This became a major problem for Ireland in the 1990s because they kept winning.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2021, 11:44   #1007
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I only watched it for the Schadenfreude. Nevertheless, this is a serious matter for which consequences are necessary!
I think musically we have nothing in common, I watched and could not believe how bad most of it was, most of europe seems to have finally made it into the 1980s,the winners looked like a mixed up suzi quatro tribute band .
summing up it was 99% awful but i was very impressed by Serbia's entry

top marks to Graham Norton
Old 24-05-2021, 11:52   #1008
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I think musically we have nothing in common, I watched and could not believe how bad most of it was, most of europe seems to have finally made it into the 1980s,the winners looked like a mixed up suzi quatro tribute band .
summing up it was 99% awful but i was very impressed by Serbia's entry

top marks to Graham Norton
It's worth watching for Graham Norton's wit alone!

I do wish they would cut countries off that waffle when giving us their scores - the show's long enough as it is without this time-wasting!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 13:24   #1009
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

From the recent House of Commons European Scrutiny Committee, Oral evidence: The UK's new relationship with the EU, HC 122, on Monday 17 May 2021

https://committees.parliament.uk/ora...nce/2184/html/ - questions 68-72
Quote:
Q68 Richard Drax: I do not disagree, necessarily, with gunboat diplomacy, as we showed just the other day. However, that is not going to help relations between us and the EU in the longer term, is it? Have they realised we have gone yet, or are you still having to explain that fact to them? Are you noticing good will—better will—towards us for the future? That is going to be key. How are you getting on with bilateral agreements with other EU members?

Lord Frost: They are still getting used to it. In fact, I think the EU ambassador said something like that two or three weeks ago—that they are still coming to terms with the UK’s departure—so there is a process to be gone through here. People are getting used to the different processes and the different arrangements that apply. We do not choose gunboat diplomacy, but obviously we were reacting to a demonstration that could have caused severe practical problems for Jersey. It did not cause any problems, and I like to think that our naval presence was part of that. It is not the first resort, obviously, but we have to be able to stand up for our fishermen, and for the Channel Islands in that particular case. We have to wait and see this develop. We have to get back to normal and, to a large extent, that is happening in terms of atmospherics, but I think there is a little way to go yet.

Q69 Richard Drax: So you are confident that in the months and years ahead, business can resume as normally as possible, unhindered by EU intransigence. You think that will happen.

Lord Frost: I do not know about “will happen”: I think it definitely can happen. As I said, there is a lot of pragmatism. Everybody wants trade to continue in as free-flowing a way as it possibly can in the new arrangements. There is definitely a large current of opinion in the EU and member states that wants that to happen. I think there are people who see Brexit as a bit of a zero-sum game and want us to face difficulties, but I like to think that those will not be the dominant opinions and things will settle down in a fairly pragmatic way as we move forward. We will see.

Q70 Richard Drax: Any movement on the bilateral agreements with individual EU states that I asked you about? How are you getting on with them?

Lord Frost: In any particular field?

Q71 Richard Drax: In any particular field. Obviously you are exploring bilateral agreements with separate EU countries. Are you having any success in those?

Lord Frost: There are some areas in EU competence where we are looking at bilateral agreements. For example, one area we would like to do bilateral agreements in is returns agreements on asylum seekers. That discussion is just beginning. The problem we face in that and some other areas is that although some member states probably do want to do bilateral agreements, that is not necessarily how the Commission sees it and, even if it is still a member state competence, the Commission has ways of influencing that. So we are just picking it up and I would say there is some way to go in that.

Q72 Richard Drax: Oh dear. Actually, part of my question was whether individual EU states were able to do bilateral agreements. I think you are hinting that perhaps they cannot with Big Brother sitting on their shoulder. That is a shame, but hopefully in the months and years ahead that will disappear—I am sure it will under your leadership, Lord Frost.

Lord Frost: I hope that they will see that there is an interest in constructive and collaborative relationships with us. I would expect that to happen.

Richard Drax: Thank you very much.
https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/po...g/index_en.htm
Quote:
What is trade policy?

The European Union manages its trade and investment relations with non-EU countries through its trade and investment policy.

Trade outside the EU is an exclusive responsibility of the EU, rather than the national governments of member countries. This means the EU institutions make laws on trade matters, negotiate and conclude international trade agreements.

The EU's responsibilities cover:

- trade in goods and services
- the commercial aspects of intellectual property, such as patents
- public procurement
- foreign direct investment

Article 207 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union sets out the rules on EU trade policy.
Quite worrying that a member of the House of Commons European Scrutiny Committee and the Minister whose responsibilities include oversight of the effective conduct of EU related business with the EU and its Member States, don’t seem to know that individual EU countries can’t negotiate bilateral trade deals…

However, the EU are on to them….

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...667491841.html
Quote:
2/ President @EmmanuelMacron asked for EU-UK relations to be put on the agenda because of French complaints over fishing licences and the Jersey flare up; leaders agreed, partly as it was the first time the European Council will have addressed relations since the TCA was ratified
3/ However, there is growing concern that the UK is attempting to bilateralise relations with individual member states, so EU leaders will put out a strong message of maintaining unity and protecting the integrity of the single market
4/ The TCA does permit bilateral arrangements in a number of limited areas, eg aviation, where member states can "top up" what the TCA provides for in avaition. However one diplomat says there is concern at the "onslaught" of UK attempts to coax member states into bilateral deals
5/ Member states are concerned that this will start to undermine the single market, if bilateral arrangements start to get out of hand. Diplomats say the UK is pushing for bilateral deals in youth mobility, professional qualifications, social security
6/ While some of this is permitted under the TCA, EU leaders will ask that national capitals inform the European Commission before engaging in bilateralism, and the Commission will inform all other member states
7/ The Commission will have to assess whether or not what a member state intends to do with the UK is compatible with the TCA and single market obligations.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 24-05-2021 at 13:48.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 14:04   #1010
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From the recent House of Commons European Scrutiny Committee, Oral evidence: The UK's new relationship with the EU, HC 122, on Monday 17 May 2021

https://committees.parliament.uk/ora...nce/2184/html/ - questions 68-72

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/po...g/index_en.htm

Quite worrying that a member of the House of Commons European Scrutiny Committee and the Minister whose responsibilities include oversight of the effective conduct of EU related business with the EU and its Member States, don’t seem to know that individual EU countries can’t negotiate bilateral trade deals

However, the EU are on to them….

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...667491841.html
Quite worrying that you are attributing "trade deals" to Drax. He neither said nor implied anything of the sort. Indeed, Frost was clear about the scope of his knowledge. In the case quoted below, I read it that he want some areas that are exclusively reserved to the EU to be delegated to countries.

Quote:
Q71 Richard Drax: In any particular field. Obviously you are exploring bilateral agreements with separate EU countries. Are you having any success in those?

Lord Frost: There are some areas in EU competence where we are looking at bilateral agreements. For example, one area we would like to do bilateral agreements in is returns agreements on asylum seekers. That discussion is just beginning. The problem we face in that and some other areas is that although some member states probably do want to do bilateral agreements, that is not necessarily how the Commission sees it and, even if it is still a member state competence, the Commission has ways of influencing that. So we are just picking it up and I would say there is some way to go in that.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 14:15   #1011
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Quite worrying that you are attributing "trade deals" to Drax. He neither said nor implied anything of the sort. Indeed, Frost was clear about the scope of his knowledge. In the case quoted below, I read it that he want some areas that are exclusively reserved to the EU to be delegated to countries.

But Hugh's agenda is that they would be bilateral trade deals, he's a remainer. What do you expect?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 14:21   #1012
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
But Hugh's agenda is that they would be bilateral trade deals, he's a remainer. What do you expect?
He's very annoying and that's what I expect.

Old 24-05-2021, 17:59   #1013
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
He's very annoying and that's what I expect.
I shall try to live up to your expectations…

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

Quote:

Quote:
Q69 Richard Drax: So you are confident that in the months and years ahead, business can resume as normally as possible, unhindered by EU intransigence. You think that will happen.

Lord Frost: I do not know about “will happen”: I think it definitely can happen. As I said, there is a lot of pragmatism. Everybody wants trade to continue in as free-flowing a way as it possibly can in the new arrangements. There is definitely a large current of opinion in the EU and member states that wants that to happen. I think there are people who see Brexit as a bit of a zero-sum game and want us to face difficulties, but I like to think that those will not be the dominant opinions and things will settle down in a fairly pragmatic way as we move forward. We will see.

Q70 Richard Drax: Any movement on the bilateral agreements with individual EU states that I asked you about? How are you getting on with them?

Lord Frost: In any particular field?

Old 24-05-2021, 18:03   #1014
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
I shall try to live up to your expectations…

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

You've got that totally wrong. In q70/71 Drax had moved on from trade. You're doing well.

Old 24-05-2021, 18:06   #1015
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I refer you to my post of 14/12/2019

Quote:
We’re all leavers now...

It’s not an assumption, but since we have stated to the other side in the negotiations that it must be completed by a certain arbitrary date, it gives them leverage - no one willingly enters into a bad deal, but if the deal is less favourable than what we have now, it’s a bad deal.

I want a good deal, as that’s what’s best for our country,

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

Quote:
You've got that totally wrong. In q70/71 Drax had moved on from trade. You're doing well.
Sure, he did…
Old 24-05-2021, 18:49   #1016
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
We’re all leavers now...

It’s not an assumption, but since we have stated to the other side in the negotiations that it must be completed by a certain arbitrary date, it gives them leverage - no one willingly enters into a bad deal, but if the deal is less favourable than what we have now, it’s a bad deal.

I want a good deal, as that’s what’s best for our country,

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

Sure, he did…
As Pip said, Hugh's a Remainer. He was playing with words in 2019 and is still doing that.

Old 24-05-2021, 19:23   #1017
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

You forgot to reproduce Lord Frost's answer:

I'm sure that was an accidental omission, Hugh.
Old 24-05-2021, 19:33   #1018
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You forgot to reproduce Lord Frost's answer:

I'm sure that was an accidental omission, Hugh.
Did you have to give him that card to play, OB?

Old 24-05-2021, 19:41   #1019
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Did you have to give him that card to play, OB?
The point being, of course, that asylum seekers are nothing to do with trade, Seph.

[EDIT] Just noticed your red text!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 24-05-2021 at 19:51.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 19:47   #1020
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i was very impressed by Serbia's entry :naughty
https://eurovision.tv/video/hurrican...urovision-2021
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote