Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Broadband - Multiple Wireless Connections

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Broadband - Multiple Wireless Connections

Old 26-05-2008, 17:18   #1
nicknick77
Inactive

nicknick77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media Broadband - Multiple Wireless Connections

My new Virgin Media cable broadband went live today. My desktop PC runs well from the new wireless connection once I installed the setup CD. I also need to connect three laptops to the wireless router. All laptops have wireless cards inbuilt but no CD drive. Virgin say that I need to install the CD to each laptop. Clearly I can copy the CD to a USB key and install but there must be an easier way? One laptop already connects fine without the CD installed.

My old Netgear ADSL router just allowed me to launch the console (192.168.0.1) and add MAC numbers to an access control list. I cannot find a way of doing the same on the new Netgear WGR614. 192.168.100.1 doesn't launch the same console.

I couldn't see this posted elsewhere - sorry if it has been - any help appreciated and may turn this rainy Monday around.

Many thanks.
nicknick77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2008, 17:26   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Virgin Media Broadband - Multiple Wireless Connections

1:

2: You only need the CD to install USB drivers. Once the modem is up and running (which it sounds like it is) you don't need it for adding additional wireless clients to your access point.

3: You might find that you need a diffrerent IP than 192.168.100.1 - what do the instructions say?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 17:49   #3
nicknick77
Inactive

nicknick77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick response. Couldn't see wood for the trees. A bit of searching (and rare common sense on my part) has found the router address as 192.168.1.1 and I reckon even I can take it from here. Will let you know if not. Cheers
nicknick77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 17:51   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

No worries, have fun

(Don't forget to set up the security features on your router, encryption is your friend )
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote