Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear wireless router configuration for Supanet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear wireless router configuration for Supanet?

Old 22-05-2008, 19:41   #1
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
Netgear wireless router configuration for Supanet?

Evening all, Tried to install a Netgear wireless router ( NETGEAR DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router ) on my mates Supanet connection ( Windows XP Pro) but i have to go in and change the router dns settings etc, I`ve googled but can`t seem to find out what to put into the settings boxes. Can anyone help please, even the Supanet home page isn`t being very helpful.!
Cheers.
budwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2008, 20:10   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Netgear wireless router configuration for Supanet?

DNS servers 212.111.132.124, 212.111.144.124

VPI/VCI 0/38

You don't have to use Supanet DNS servers, OpenDNS will work fine:

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 20:52   #3
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
DNS servers 212.111.132.124, 212.111.144.124

VPI/VCI 0/38

You don't have to use Supanet DNS servers, OpenDNS will work fine:

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
You`re a star Cobby! Where did you get that info from?
I`ve bloody searched for ages tonight.!

Thanks anyway. Greenie on its way.
Old 22-05-2008, 20:58   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwieser View Post
You`re a star Cobby! Where did you get that info from?
I`ve bloody searched for ages tonight.!

Thanks anyway. Greenie on its way.
VPI/VCI is pretty standard for UK ADSL connections.

DNS servers from adslguide.org confirmed with whois.

I use OpenDNS which has been better than VM's DNS name servers IMO...
Old 24-05-2008, 12:58   #5
budwieser
cf.mega poster

Right, Put all of the Cobby supplied data into the specified fields in the Router config page and entered the IP addy and it still can`t connect to the Internet!
What am i doing wrong?
Old 24-05-2008, 14:29   #6
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Right, Put all of the Cobby supplied data into the specified fields in the Router config page and entered the IP addy and it still can`t connect to the Internet!
What am i doing wrong?
Have you put his Supanet username & password in?
Old 24-05-2008, 15:05   #7
budwieser
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Have you put his Supanet username & password in?
Yes, done that mate but the Internet light on the front of the Router just stays red. Wireles ,DSL and Ethernet lights are all green, Any ideas?
Old 24-05-2008, 15:25   #8
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Do you have microfilters attached to all phones in the house?

What information does it give you on the Maintenance page of the router's web interface?

Has it been allocated an IP address?
Old 24-05-2008, 15:54   #9
budwieser
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Do you have microfilters attached to all phones in the house?

What information does it give you on the Maintenance page of the router's web interface?

Has it been allocated an IP address?
Hi Cobby, Thanks for your help in this mate, appreciated.
No IP address was allocated so i got it and entered it in myself.
The WAN test says" connecting to server- failed
Negotiation - LCP Down
Authentication - CHAP authentication failed.
I`ve been on the `phone to Supanet support and he gave me the primary and secondary dns settings which i entered and still no luck. Same with the open dns settings you gave me, no good. It detects the router and dsl connection but i just can`t seem to get past that point.!
Wondering if the router might be faulty.
I`ve been trying it on my connection ( ADSL) at my house and putting his settings in, username, password etc but still no good. I plug mine back in and away i go straight away!

Just a thought, how do i find the Gateway IP address and the IP subnet mask?
Old 24-05-2008, 16:05   #10
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Hi Cobby, Thanks for your help in this mate, appreciated.
No IP address was allocated so i got it and entered it in myself.
The WAN test says" connecting to server- failed
Negotiation - LCP Down
Authentication - CHAP authentication failed.
I`ve been on the `phone to Supanet support and he gave me the primary and secondary dns settings which i entered and still no luck. Same with the open dns settings you gave me, no good. It detects the router and dsl connection but i just can`t seem to get past that point.!
Wondering if the router might be faulty.
I`ve been trying it on my connection ( ADSL) at my house and putting his settings in, username, password etc but still no good. I plug mine back in and away i go straight away!

Just a thought, how do i find the Gateway IP address and the IP subnet mask?
A few years since I've been on ADSL & then only with BT, not unbundled, but can you access a Supanet account if your ISP is someone else?
Old 24-05-2008, 16:12   #11
budwieser
cf.mega poster

Quote:
A few years since I've been on ADSL & then only with BT, not unbundled, but can you access a Supanet account if your ISP is someone else?
Yes mate, I`ve got my friends logon details and password but the website has no technical info whatsoever. His wife comes out of hospital on Monday after having a mastectomy and reconstruction because of breast cancer and he`s bought her a laptop and wireless router so she can go online while she`s at home in bed.
You can see why i need to get this sorted pdq.
Would the gateway ip address be 192.168.0.1 and the subnet mask be 255.255.255.0 by any chance?
Old 24-05-2008, 17:15   #12
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

I meant, if your ADSL is not provided by Supanet, is it actually possible to establish an ADSL connection via a Supanet sign in?
Old 24-05-2008, 17:45   #13
budwieser
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I meant, if your ADSL is not provided by Supanet, is it actually possible to establish an ADSL connection via a Supanet sign in?
Yep, I can access his account in full, e-mails etc. Just can`t do it on this Netgear router that he bought brand new.
Old 24-05-2008, 17:48   #14
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

I didn't actually mean his physical Supanet account, settings, e-mail etc but just if you can use a router configured for a Supanet ADSL connection on another provider's line.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible...
Old 24-05-2008, 17:55   #15
budwieser
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I didn't actually mean his physical Supanet account, settings, e-mail etc but just if you can use a router configured for a Supanet ADSL connection on another provider's line.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible...
Sorry mate. He had a zoom adsl usb modem before for the same account and we`re just adding a Netgear wireless router in place of the zoom one.