Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54G DHCP issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WRT54G DHCP issue

Old 21-05-2008, 13:31   #1
Axegrinder
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB M 10Mb Freeview
Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice
Linksys WRT54G DHCP issue

Hello.

Having this rather annoying glitch with my WRT54G, in that it wont give out an IP, so I have to mannually assign them. I turn on my PC on, log in etc, the little flashing screen in the system tray says aquiring network address, this carries on sometimes for about a minute, then it says "limited or no connectivity", this also happens on the other pc. The only way of resolving it is pressing the reset switch on the back on the router. This is an intermittent fault, but this has been happening for a couple of months now.

Help appreciated.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2008, 14:13   #2
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linksys WRT54G DHCP issue

Are you sure there's no firewalls on the PC's that could be blocking the DHCP traffic?

Also might be worth checking to see if the firmware on the router is upto date.

Depending on the variant of the WRT54G there are several 3rd party firmwares available that extended the functionallity of the router beyond it's orignal capablities. It might be worth trying one if your router supports it.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 15:55   #3
Axegrinder
Inactive

Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice

The router model is version 7. Which I believe is not compatible with many 3rd party firmware. As for the firewalls, both computers use the bog standard Windows firewall.
Old 21-05-2008, 17:14   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Ouch pity thats about the only version thats not supported by dd-wrt/dd-wrt micro.

Have you tried the latest linksys officall firmware?
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 17:35   #5
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Do you leave the router on all the time, or turn it on when you power up the PCs?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 17:48   #6
Axegrinder
Inactive

Its on all the time. 24/7
Old 03-06-2008, 07:29   #7
desktopcarl
Inactive

desktopcarl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I had a wrt54g, it suddenly fell out with the VM DNS servers after a while doing an intermittent fault.

I replaced it with an SMC item eventually (14-N2, do NOT buy one, they seem to have problems with VM too).

However, I did find stability restored with the 54G when i rolled back the firmware to the 2005 version? It's the only firmware verison available from Linksys site ( http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Sa...ypage=download ) check your router version number.

Good luck!
desktopcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 13:46   #8
Axegrinder
Inactive

Thanks for the help it has all been fixed. Master reset fixed it.