Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Wireless, but no wireless router.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Wireless, but no wireless router.

Old 16-05-2008, 01:23   #1
Realist
Inactive

Realist is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media Wireless, but no wireless router.

Hi guys, I've been with Virgin media for some time now but had to disconnect last year as i didn't need internet connection as i move out to uni.

Now, i got it connected again and got a standard modem with it. What i want to do is, allow other laptops to connect to the internet (i.e. share the internet), and also i have a wireless enabled AIO Printer.

Question is: Do i need to get a wireless cable modem router? OR can i give people access to use the internet connection using a wireless adapter, and also using the printer at the same time too?

I used Zen a few years ago and the way we got around this was to hook the router up to a wireless router, and the wireless router to the PC and set it up like that - Although this was pretty complicated setting up + there's too much modems/routers about!

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks!
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2008, 06:38   #2
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media Wireless, but no wireless router.

best to get a wireless router, dependent on the package you have signed up for (if it is a new connection) you may be able to get a free router from virgin, search the forum, plenty of links about this

Regards
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 08:50   #3
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

If you are on cable, I find this a very good one: CLICK

You can have up to 4 wired connections and many wireless ones. It plugs into your VM cable modem

Assuming you are on cable, whatever you buy make sure it is a CABLE router and not ADSL
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 15:54   #4
Realist
Inactive

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think i'll go with this THIS Router.. quick question though. Will my PC constantly need to be open in order for others to access the internet using the router? I will need to connect a wireless printer to this too.. Good to go you think?

Thanks!
Old 26-05-2008, 16:34   #5
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

I'd personally try and get the one from Virgin - it's free!

Your PC won't need to be on for others to connect to the internet. Everyone will connect straight through the router.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 16:51   #6
Realist
Inactive

I've already taken out the connection, and they saying it's £40 to get the modem!
Old 26-05-2008, 22:43   #7
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

Good luck!
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 19:06   #8
the_neurotic_cat
Inactive

the_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of light

I've just been connected today (2mb) and being as the installation technician refused to install the modem where i wanted it i'm gonna go for a wireless router+adapter. i think the routers free if your on a higher bandwidth.

Theres a router on the virgin website (£40) and i've ordered one but i'm having second thoughts. i'm not even sure if it comes with an adapter as it refers to it as a 'kit' which usually means router+1 adapter. i phoned the customer services and he told me that virgin don't sell the adapters, even though they're advertised on the site right under the router for £20!

i'm just confused. the CSs guy (didn't get his name) said something about sending it back to them as long as the box was unopened. i could barely understand him.

now i'm just trolling through the net to see if i an get a decent router+adapter for a reasonable price.
the_neurotic_cat is offline   Reply With Quote