Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can someone help? Please!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can someone help? Please!!

Old 13-05-2008, 16:34   #1
Tracy-IOW
Inactive

Tracy-IOW is an unknown quantity at this point
Can someone help? Please!!

Hi,
I have a main computer downstairs which is connected to cable broadband. There are 2 computers upstairs which connect via a belkin wi-fi router. I have now bought a laptop and wish to get rid of the main computer downstairs. If i do this will it affect the set-up? Will the computers upstairs still be usuable or does the router have to be set-up up there?
I hope someone understands what i mean as i don't really know any other way to explain it!
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Tracy
Tracy-IOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2008, 16:44   #2
dontpannic
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP Pack (20MEG!!) Free to air Digital Satellite Freeview
dontpannic has much to be proud ofdontpannic has much to be proud ofdontpannic has much to be proud ofdontpannic has much to be proud ofdontpannic has much to be proud ofdontpannic has much to be proud ofdontpannic has much to be proud ofdontpannic has much to be proud ofdontpannic has much to be proud ofdontpannic has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to dontpannic
Re: Can someone help? Please!!

Providing the router has been set up correctly there should be no problem. The cable modem should connect straight in to the belkin router. The main way to test is to turn the main PC off, leaving the router on and try the internet on the upstairs PC's.

Hope this helps
Nick
dontpannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 16:46   #3
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

If I read it correctly, the cable modem is attached to the router and the main computer is connected by a cable to the router. The other two computers are wireless. If that's right, then replacing the main computer with another wireless computer won't affect the broadband. Just leave the modem and router where they are and all three computers should connect without any problem.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 13:25   #4
Tracy-IOW
Inactive

Tracy-IOW is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought it only polite to come back and say thanks guys. Have got it all sorted now and everyhing is running fine

Tracy
Tracy-IOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 16:32   #5
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Thanks for letting us know, glad it's sorted.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote