Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | connection problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

connection problem

Old 12-05-2008, 14:31   #1
mac4
Inactive

mac4 is an unknown quantity at this point
connection problem

Hi
I have upgraded to Norton System Works 2008 downloaded from internet. However now I cannot connect via my home network (2x pc's 1 laptop) only this the main pc is working fine. I have checked "cmd" ipconfig/all and the ip addresses are not the same. I cannot re-establish the connection, I have tried loads of things but no joy. Norton says its not their software, but it all worked fine before and when I turn Norton off now it still wont work anyone any thoughts.
Another point is that system restore wont work either since upgrade.
mac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2008, 15:08   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: connection problem

Did you reset your router as per your other thread, and did the problem start then?
On the three computers, do all IP addresses begin 198.x.x.x, or does the main system have something like 82.x.x.x?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 17:51   #3
mac4
Inactive

Hi
No I decided that if the main pc was working fine on the internet I would not reset untill I had tried everything else.The problem only started when I downloaded the Norton upgrade a couple of weeks ago. The ip address on the main pc is
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-70-E8-07-05
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::250:70ff:fee8:705%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
The laptop is

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI-E Ad
apter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-CF-6F-E9-C7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.131.50
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway

The above also applies to the othe desktop on the home network, I dont seem to be able to change it, I have tried connecting the ethnet cable directly without any success.
Old 13-05-2008, 09:38   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Is the laptop connected wired or wireless? Assuming that info was collected when wired into the router, looks like the router is not handing out an IP address to the laptop.
When you you tried 'direct', you mean cabled straight into cable modem? If so, did you power off/on the modem as well (otherwise it won't hand out a new IP).
If you still don't get a valid IP (169.254.x.x is assigned if all else fails!), maybe Norton has locked down all networking on the PC, but I've no idea why it would do that. Try uninstalling Norton, with the assistance of the Norton removal tool. That way you can confirm or eliminate it as the cause.
Old 13-05-2008, 15:03   #5
mac4
Inactive

Many thanks for that, I am going to do as you suggest, I did put the ethnet cable directly into the laptop but did not turn off/on the modem so I will do that now.
I am not getting much input from Norton they just say the progarm is running correctly.
I will try this and then uninstall the Norton, I could kick myself as I have just paid for the upgrade and now I am sorry that I didnt just get a free anti virus.
Will let you know how it goes, but thanks for your time.

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

Hi
I have uninstalled Norton, turned off then on the dsl cable modem, put the Ip address/sbnet mask/ default gateway/dns server adresses manually into the properties via the network connection and now I have "wireless connection" excellent strength connected. But !! when I click onto internet explorer it has error message that I am working ofline. I wonder if I have dissabled something in my trying to connect problems any thoughts?
Old 13-05-2008, 15:06   #6
Aragorn
Inactive

There is a 'work offline' setting in IE that may have been set accidentally - at the bottom of the 'File' menu.
Does email work now?
Old 13-05-2008, 19:48   #7
mac4
Inactive

Hi, e-mail and internet not working, dont know if this may make a difference, the main pc(host) does not see the laptop in the view my workplaces. The laptop sees the host pc
any thought's?
Old 14-05-2008, 13:30   #8
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

I would start by going back to basics. Try each of the machines in turn connected by ethernet cable direct to the cable modem. You'll need to power-cycle the CM each time. Make sure that the network adaptor is set to get an IP automatically before you connect it, then check that it is getting a valid IP from the cable modem. Check for internet connectivity each time.
Once you are certain that each machine can obtain an IP and can connect to the 'net then you can try adding them to the router setup.

Once you have successfully added the machines to the router and all have valid IPs and internet connectivity, that is the time to start troubleshooting any networking issues between the local machines.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 10:47   #9
mac4
Inactive

I Put the ethnet cable directly into the laptop, I just get a message saying that the computer could not connect, In Network diagnostics it says "The default gateway entry could not be reslolved via ARP dont know if thats anything"?
I am not getting much further am I, I feel as if I am just missing something.
Old 16-05-2008, 07:07   #10
elisagwendolyn

Well.......keep it up...
Old 19-05-2008, 11:58   #11
kayagisselle

Wonderful information....It is really true....

.....Hey you have done a very good job.....

......Keep it up....
Old 22-05-2008, 22:14   #12
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4 View Post
I Put the ethnet cable directly into the laptop, I just get a message saying that the computer could not connect, In Network diagnostics it says "The default gateway entry could not be reslolved via ARP dont know if thats anything"?
I am not getting much further am I, I feel as if I am just missing something.
It's been a few days. Are you any further forward with this issue?
Old 23-05-2008, 07:35   #13
mac4
Inactive

Hi, Thanks for the reply I seem to be at a standstill I will explain how things are up to date.

I put the ethnet cable directly into the laptop it says I am connected but when I go onto internet explore I cannot connect. The connection for wireless says I am connected also. I feel as if there is some detail I am overlooking.
I also took Norton off the host pc, same results so put it back on.The strange thing is in my home network I have the host pc,(this one with no connection probs) the laptop and another pc I am getting the same error with the other pc. I was thinking of deleting the home network and starting from scratch.
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Old 23-05-2008, 09:04   #14
Dai
Inactive

The laptop has 2 potential network connections, wired and wireless. It may be that the system is getting 'confused' about which one it should be using. In situations like this I have had some success by disabling the unwanted connectoid.
Try going to Network Connections/Properties to view available connections. Right-click and disable the wireless adaptor.
Make sure that the wired connector has TCP/IP properties set to get all automatically.
Now power off laptop and cable modem. Power on cable modem and let it stabilise before booting laptop.
Old 26-05-2008, 14:19   #15
mac4
Inactive

Will do as you suggest, been away a few days so will get onto it and mail back later. Thanks for the input.I do intend carrying on untill I have cracked it