Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot set up my router :-(

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot set up my router :-(

Old 22-02-2008, 16:44   #1
DUS
Inactive

DUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Cannot set up my router :-(

Hi,

I am desperately trying to install my WLAN router here within my current setup. As you can imagine, the reason for posting this message is that I am terribly failing to get it up and running. :-(

I am using Virgin Broadband and if I use the ethernet cable to connect my laptop directly with the cable modem, the internet connection works like a charm. I now wanted to install my Speedtouch 585i v6 router which I brought with me when I moved here from Germany. The problem is, I don´t know how to do it.

Here´s what I tried so far:

I connect the router to the cable modem using the ethernet cable. I used a second cable from the router to my laptop. I switched everything off, powered on the modem, then after 1-2 minutes the switched on the router and finally the laptop. Result: no broadband connection.

The problem seems to be that if I check the IP for the network connection it shows 192.168.1.xxx and not the 86.XX.XX.X something that seems to be the IP I usually see when connecting the laptop directly with the cable modem. But what can I do to solve this?

Also, I have a few questions regarding the Speedtouch585 router. Back in Germany, I used the Speedtouch also as my DSL-modem. Something which I don´t / cannot do over here as I am using cable. As far as I understand it, I have to change the Speedtouch´s settings from Router to Bridge. Is this correct? In the end, I only want to use the WLAN function of the speedtouch.

The Speedtouch setup wizard also asks for VPI/VCI and provides a list of various numbers, such as 1.32, 8.32, 1.100 and many more. Which one do I have to chose?

I´d be really grateful if someone could help and guide me in the right direction. I am really frustrated that I am too stupid to set it up properly. :-(

Thank you!

DUS
DUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2008, 16:56   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Cannot set up my router :-(

As far as I can tell the Speedtouch 585 is a router with inbuilt ADSL modem. That modem is incompatible with cable and thus it will be impossible to use the Speedtouch as a router sitting between your cable modem and home network.

You might be able to use the Speedtouch as an access point, but only if some other device is already providing the router functions (Perhaps a master computer doing internet connectino sharing) such that you only use the LAN ports of the speedtouch. TBH that is more hassle than it's worth. Get yourself a cable compatible router (one without an inbuilt modem).
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 17:04   #3
DUS
Inactive

Rob,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, the 585 got an inbuilt ADSL modem. Hence my question, if I have to set the device up in Router or Bridge modus. What is really annoying is the fact that when I moved in a few weeks ago, I had someone here who installed the 585 and it worked flawlessly. That is, until I recently switched of everything at the mains and ever since, I haven´t managed to get it working again. :-( Unfortunately, I cannot contact the person who installed it and that is why I hoped and still hope for some help from you guys.

Cheers,

DUS
Old 22-02-2008, 17:26   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I can't see how you can use the Speedtouch thing connected direct to the modem, unless you have found some way of deactivating the inbuilt modem, and there is also a WAN (internet) side ethernet port, additional to the inbuilt modem
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 19:07   #5
DUS
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I can't see how you can use the Speedtouch thing connected direct to the modem, unless you have found some way of deactivating the inbuilt modem, ...
Rob, believe me, I´m probably more confused than you are. :-) But I can absolutely assure you that this thing worked for me and the WLAN connectivity in the house was great.

What is this "BRIDGE" functionality I mentioned above. If put in that mode, doesn´t it deactivate the modem?
Old 24-03-2008, 22:10   #6
benjdr
Inactive

benjdr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Have a look here:
http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index....re_router_mode
benjdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 23:12   #7
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUS View Post
Rob,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, the 585 got an inbuilt ADSL modem. Hence my question, if I have to set the device up in Router or Bridge modus. What is really annoying is the fact that when I moved in a few weeks ago, I had someone here who installed the 585 and it worked flawlessly. That is, until I recently switched of everything at the mains and ever since, I haven´t managed to get it working again. :-( Unfortunately, I cannot contact the person who installed it and that is why I hoped and still hope for some help from you guys.

Cheers,

DUS
The Bridge mode is actually so you can use the Inbuilt DSL modem to simply pass traffic to devices connected to the speedtouch without doing any NAT or routing.etc

It is designed for users who have multiple external IP's and simply want the speedtouch to function as A modem/gateway and not do any routing however it Still needs DSL service to work.

You will need a cable/dsl router with an rj45 WAN port for connecting to the cable modem I personally like the linksys wrt54GL due to number of 3rd party firmwares available for it that Add some pretty nifty features.

I'm actually using the speedtouch 585v6 in Bridge mode connected to above mentioned Linksys as I'm on Adsl.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 14:21   #8
Brendo
Inactive

Brendo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjdr View Post
This site worked perfectly for me. I now have my Speedtouch 585 working as a router connected to my cable modem. Thanks for the link.
Brendo is offline   Reply With Quote