Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Airport Express Woes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Airport Express Woes

Old 03-04-2008, 22:30   #1
Biggusmickus
Inactive

Biggusmickus is an unknown quantity at this point
Airport Express Woes

I got a new airport express earlier this week. I powered down the NTL Home 120 modem, left it while, powered it up and then attached the express as per the instructions. Despite a vast amount of resetting and rebooting of the various elements I have failed to get my Airport Utility to see the base station. It, and Windows, sees the apple network but won't see the express to let me configure it. Oddly I can't get it to factory reset despite following the simple instructions. Apple replaced it no problem today but I am having no further joy. I'd be very grateful if someone could throw some light on what might be going wrong. My hunch is it's at the Virginmedia/modem end. Thank you for any help.
Biggusmickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2008, 14:45   #2
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: Airport Express Woes

Are you connecting to a wireless laptop?
ntluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:09   #3
Biggusmickus
Inactive

Biggusmickus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Airport Express Woes

Yes. The express only has one ethernet port and that's using the feed from the ntl modem.
Biggusmickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55   #4
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggusmickus View Post
Yes. The express only has one ethernet port and that's using the feed from the ntl modem.
The logical thing to do is to establish if each component in the chain works.

Can you access the internet without using the Airport Express? If so, your internet connection and modem are OK.If not there may be a problem with your internet connection or modem or both. Do the obvious and check for loose or incorrect cable connections. Try rebooting the modem.

When setting this up you should have your internet cable plugged into the modem and then an ethernet cable from your modem to the WAN socket on the Airport Express. ( Forgive me if you know all this but I can't see your installation) Try using a couple of ethernet cables just in case the one you are using is faulty.

To test the Airport Express is functioning connect your laptop to the base station using an ethernet cable. Can you still get the internet?

If not try turning off the power to the modem and the base station for about 30 seconds. Hopefully when you restore the power the modem and base station should re-boot and allow you to access the net via the ethernet cable.

Post your answers so far and then we'll move on from there.
ntluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:23   #5
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Make sure your PC is set to automatically revice a IP and in the windows wireless thing, search for you base station there and connect to it.
Then use the Utility
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 21:08   #6
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Have you tried the Apple website as the Airport utility to access the config is updated fairly regularly. There may me a newer version.
Have you reset it with the little button underneath?
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 09:15   #7
chrisrob1970
Inactive

chrisrob1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, we have the same problem with NTL / Airport. We did have an 802.11g Airport which broke, I replaced it yesterday with the newer 802.11n Airport and I haven't yet managed to configure it via the laptop.

We originally set up the NTL account via the direct ethernet link on a laptop (I assume you've already done this as it sounds like your NTL account pre-dates your Airport). We then configured the Airport using a Mac PowerBook ... that was quite straight forward at the time, but bad news for you if you don't have access to a Mac. Once the Mac had configured the airport then the PC could see the Airport absolutely fine.

However I get the same problems as you trying to configure the new Airport via a laptop

Anyway the end message is your Airport will work with the NTL cable modem ... eventually ...
chrisrob1970 is offline   Reply With Quote