Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Just like the old Series 1 TiVo setup but so quick

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Just like the old Series 1 TiVo setup but so quick

Old 16-01-2018, 12:30   #1
Major dude
Inactive

Major dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Just like the old Series 1 TiVo setup but so quick

Just upgraded to a V6 having negotiated a reduction from £67 to £30.25 @ month for my package. Had to give notice of cancellation to trigger the offer though.
The V6 setup screens are still reminiscent of my old Series one TiVos, without the original TiVo animated sequence. So much quicker though and the V6 just flies through each of the stages. Boots up much quicker too than the old Virginmedia TiVo box and my Humax foxsat.
Now have to decide whether multiroom is worth having or not for the extra £7.50@month(?) as we hardly ever use a second TV in the bedroom.
Well worth upgrading to V6 even though I do not have 4K yet.
Major dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2018, 13:39   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Just like the old Series 1 TiVo setup but so quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major dude View Post
Just upgraded to a V6 having negotiated a reduction from £67 to £30.25 @ month for my package. Had to give notice of cancellation to trigger the offer though.
The V6 setup screens are still reminiscent of my old Series one TiVos, without the original TiVo animated sequence. So much quicker though and the V6 just flies through each of the stages. Boots up much quicker too than the old Virginmedia TiVo box and my Humax foxsat.
Now have to decide whether multiroom is worth having or not for the extra £7.50@month(?) as we hardly ever use a second TV in the bedroom.
Well worth upgrading to V6 even though I do not have 4K yet.
Glad to see you are enjoying your V6, MD! I am so glad that I changed my Tivo for a V6 a year ago - well worth it.

Although you may wish to use an upstairs box only occasionally, don't forget that this can give you another 1TBs worth of recordings, which you can watch on either box. That's what I do, and I am extremely pleased with this set up.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 15:05   #3
Major dude
Inactive

Good point about the extra storage. How easy was it to set up? Did you use powerline or can you use a wireless link such as an Apple airport express?
Old 16-01-2018, 15:07   #4
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Just use wifi to connect the boxes works well for me as I have one connected with a ethernet cable
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 15:18   #5
Major dude
Inactive

So what is your old VM TiVo connected to so it can connect wirelessly?
Old 16-01-2018, 15:28   #6
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Just got one V6 connected to the router and the other V6 connected wireless
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 15:38   #7
Major dude
Inactive

I understand now. I would want to retain my VM TiVo and that would need a bridge to connect to the wireless network.
Old 16-01-2018, 15:55   #8
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major dude View Post
I understand now. I would want to retain my VM TiVo and that would need a bridge to connect to the wireless network.
Use powerline adapters to Ethernet connect to TiVo.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 16:15   #9
The Yank
Inactive

Services: VIP(300BB) 2xV6 Boxes
The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Just use wifi to connect the boxes works well for me as I have one connected with a ethernet cable
Both of mine are WiFi only (no ethernet connection) they both work great with no intervention to increase signal at all.
The Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 23:45   #10
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Glad to see you are enjoying your V6, MD! I am so glad that I changed my Tivo for a V6 a year ago - well worth it.

Although you may wish to use an upstairs box only occasionally, don't forget that this can give you another 1TBs worth of recordings, which you can watch on either box. That's what I do, and I am extremely pleased with this set up.
I was thinking of adding a V6 to my old Tivo setup.

I was running out of space and fancied the idea of using the old Tivo as extra storage. I was planning to use the old box to stream stuff to the V6.

Didn't happen like that though. One day, all of a sudden, the old box rebooted and hang completing the startup. Phoned Customer Services. They said to wait an hour as the boxes can take a while to start. I waited an hour, and it was still hung. The next day, it was still hung, so I phoned VM. They sent an engineer round on Saturday, and installed both a new V6 and a Superhub 3. Sadly, he buggered up my network while installing it, but when he left, it only took me a couple of minutes to put it right. Love the V6. I can't really comment on the Shub, as I'm using it in Modem Mode and the old Shub 1 was fairly reliable in that mode.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 14:47   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I was thinking of adding a V6 to my old Tivo setup.

I was running out of space and fancied the idea of using the old Tivo as extra storage. I was planning to use the old box to stream stuff to the V6.

Didn't happen like that though. One day, all of a sudden, the old box rebooted and hang completing the startup. Phoned Customer Services. They said to wait an hour as the boxes can take a while to start. I waited an hour, and it was still hung. The next day, it was still hung, so I phoned VM. They sent an engineer round on Saturday, and installed both a new V6 and a Superhub 3. Sadly, he buggered up my network while installing it, but when he left, it only took me a couple of minutes to put it right. Love the V6. I can't really comment on the Shub, as I'm using it in Modem Mode and the old Shub 1 was fairly reliable in that mode.
Glad it all worked out, Stuart. My Shub 3 is working with no hitches (touch wood!).
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 14:51   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Most Definitely OB.