Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Royal Mail and eBay postal rates

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Royal Mail and eBay postal rates

Old 21-02-2012, 19:47   #1
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Cool Royal Mail and eBay postal rates

I was wondering if anyone knew why people on ebay can send items so cheaply through royal mail.

Heres my dilemma,

I have a parcel I want to send, and ive looked on ebay to see how much they are charging for postage, so i can get a rough idea of how much i should list for postage.

Their postage was £1.70, For the same item i want to send, but my item is lighter.

It turns out my post office want to charge me £2.20 to send it, but again my item is lighter.

Can someone help?
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2012, 19:50   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Royal Mail

They have an account which means cheaper postage (sometimes dependant on a minimum number of items sent per month. Perhaps maybe their own account or works
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 20:14   #3
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star
Re: Royal Mail

Out of interest was the price on the other persons parcel a preprinted label from the internet?
Old 21-02-2012, 20:19   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Royal Mail and eBay postal rates

Physical size is as important as weight these days.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 00:11   #5
Barewolf
Inactive

Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one

the box is 5 inch x 5 inch x 5 inch, and weighs 150g, the reason im so confused is someones selling the same things as me that weighs 700g, with postage costs at £1.70
Old 22-02-2012, 00:27   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

They may simply be reducing their postage costs to make the item look more attractive.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 00:53   #7
Barewolf
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
They may simply be reducing their postage costs to make the item look more attractive.
i would agree if they were selling the same amount as me in weight, but charging more for the item.

I guess i will have to see what the post office can suggest
Old 22-02-2012, 10:32   #8
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
the box is 5 inch x 5 inch x 5 inch, and weighs 150g, the reason im so confused is someones selling the same things as me that weighs 700g, with postage costs at £1.70
A 5" x 5" x 5" item would be classed as a small packet. With a weight of 150g second class postage would cost £1.72, first class £1.92.
Old 22-02-2012, 14:39   #9
Barewolf
Inactive

Thanks for that people