Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rising cost of living

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Rising cost of living
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2021, 12:29   #151
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 35,573
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Plus the air resistance is proportional to the square of the velocity. So the drag at 70mph is roughly double that at 50mph.

In any car with a fuel consumption gauge it's easy to see the difference for yourself. Drive at 50 on the motorway and watch the mpg go up.
I knew there’d be some science around the reducing efficiency aside from the manufacturer’s choice to make the turbo work in a certain way … thank you for filling in
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2021, 13:05   #152
TheDaddy
cf.mega pornstar
 
TheDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,871
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Plus the air resistance is proportional to the square of the velocity. So the drag at 70mph is roughly double that at 50mph.

In any car with a fuel consumption gauge it's easy to see the difference for yourself. Drive at 50 on the motorway and watch the mpg go up.
Iirc 57 mph is the most fuel efficient speed
__________________
Sports Babble
TheDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 13:11   #153
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 35,573
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Iirc 57 mph is the most fuel efficient speed
I’m guessing that’s why Citroen design their diesel turbo to cut in at 2,000 rpm. In 6th gear that’s around 55mph. So they seem to be aiming not to compromise the most efficient speed by only adding the turbo after it’s passed.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 13:12   #154
Taf
cf.mega poster
 
Taf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 66
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 9,280
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny star
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I live in a 20mph zone -cars roar past at high speed all day and night, I think it just annoys people that the council is trying to slow them down, there are no schools near my house but it's for the safety of school kids
The first areas to go 20mph here were streets full of immigrants and ethnic businesses where they treat the roads as they did back in their original countries, walk where you like, drive where you like, park where you like.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 13:49   #155
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 65
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 39,699
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Rising cost of living

Around here (in Leeds) it was mostly residential minor roads, and the justification was the research that showed if there was a car/child interface scenario, at 20MPH the child had a 80% chance of survival, and at 30MPH it was reduced to 20%.
__________________
There is always light.
If only we’re brave enough to see it.
If only we’re brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 14:09   #156
TheDaddy
cf.mega pornstar
 
TheDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,871
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Around here (in Leeds) it was mostly residential minor roads, and the justification was the research that showed if there was a car/child interface scenario, at 20MPH the child had a 80% chance of survival, and at 30MPH it was reduced to 20%.
Why are they 24hr limits? many children out wandering at 3am, imo they're using public safety as yet another stick to beat motorists with, there is most definitely laudable reasons to have them but of bus lanes can cope without being 24 hrs then so can side roads speed limits.
__________________
Sports Babble
TheDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 15:11   #157
OLD BOY
Rise above the players
 
OLD BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, Amazon, Netflix, Starzplay, Apple+TV, Disney+, VM broadband
Posts: 13,726
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Rising cost of living

The chumps who keep restricting the speed you can travel at won't be happy until it’s 5mph with a bloke in front waving a red flag.
__________________
Forumbox.co.uk
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 16:26   #158
Taf
cf.mega poster
 
Taf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 66
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 9,280
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny star
Re: Rising cost of living

Another thing that has appeared here are "School Zones" that are closed to all traffic when the kids will be around. Cameras monitor for fines to be issued.

They are still active during school holidays "to avoid confusion".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdf.jpg (112.2 KB, 8 views)
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 17:11   #159
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 65
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 39,699
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The chumps who keep restricting the speed you can travel at won't be happy until it’s 5mph with a bloke in front waving a red flag.
__________________
There is always light.
If only we’re brave enough to see it.
If only we’re brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 17:36   #160
Mad Max
cf.mega poster
 
Mad Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,905
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Rising cost of living

Captain Hugh...
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 20:18   #161
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 8,598
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I hear people say that too many people disregard the 30mph limits and argue that they should therefore be reduced to 20. They really don’t see that if they are not obeying the 30 limit, there’s even less chance they’ll obey a 20 sign!
People drive at 40 in a 30 zone, and 30 in a 20 zone. That's why 20 zones work.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 22:04   #162
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (350 Mbps) : Talk-Talk BB (72 Mbps)
Posts: 25,548
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Rising cost of living

People drive at 40 in a 20 zone as well.

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The chumps who keep restricting the speed you can travel at won't be happy until it’s 5mph with a bloke in front waving a red flag.
Pretty sure Nottingham would prefer you not to drive at all.
The city council is full of anti car muppets, and has been for a long while.

Their latest brilliant plan is to close the main road that links east Nottingham to West Nottingham, making it much harder to get from one side of the City to the other.

It used to be a good place to drive to, park, and then shop, but these days Id tell anyone to stay away from the City, carry on up the motorway to Meadowhall, or even {cough} Derby.

I rarely travel into Nottingham now, mainly just to get to the Showcase.
__________________

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 01:35   #163
OLD BOY
Rise above the players
 
OLD BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, Amazon, Netflix, Starzplay, Apple+TV, Disney+, VM broadband
Posts: 13,726
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
People drive at 40 in a 30 zone, and 30 in a 20 zone. That's why 20 zones work.
Do you really think that, SP?
__________________
Forumbox.co.uk
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 11:00   #164
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 8,598
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Do you really think that, SP?
Obviously I was simplifying, but yes, they do work. Plenty of data online if you are interested.

Besides, round here the 20mph zones are heavily policed. Exceed them at your peril.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 11:10   #165
Carth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: At the Leaving door
Posts: 4,050
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Rising cost of living

I can understand the 20mph in the area of schools, but anywhere else seems silly to me.

Furthermore, the Govt. should issue new guidance for pupils leaving school:

Look Right, Look Left, Look Right again.
If you don't see the family 4x4 double parked within 4 meters of the school gate, please wait patiently until it arrives.

__________________
'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it' ~ T. Pratchett
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Julian
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:11.


Server: curium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.