Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | connecting HDD-DVD to Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky HD, tv link problems

Old 13-11-2008, 22:48   #1
RossJ
Inactive

Services: Sky hd, Virgin M broadband, Virgin phone
RossJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky HD, tv link problems

Hello there, im having big problems trying to get my sky into another room.

Currently a cable runs from hd box to a wall socket into the loft where 2 cables join then that cable runs to another wall socket into my room then i run a cable from there to my tv.

I have then plugged in the tv link but it just will not work the sky channel shows up but i cant change it, the red leds not even lighting up

Can anyone shed some light?

Cheers
Ross
RossJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-11-2008, 19:32   #2
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads
Re: Sky HD, tv link problems

You need to turn on the power to the eye in the installation menus.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 20:12   #3
RossJ
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnymeg View Post
You need to turn on the power to the eye in the installation menus.
I have done that mate
Old 16-11-2008, 20:23   #4
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
I have done that mate
In which case you have issues with all the joins in the cable run. You need to make sure the three joins (1 in loft, and two face plates) are sound. As the box sends 9 volts up the cable to power the eye you cannot afford to have any shorts.
Check all the joins to see if there is any braid touching the centre core.

Also make sure the cable is connected to rf2 on the sky box.

Also check for a faulty eye by pluging it directly on the skybox to see if it lights.

You could also take the eye in the loft and connect it to the end of cable that runs to the sky box to help narrow down where the fault is.

Another thing to be aware of is that there are two different types of aerial socket. Isolated and non-isolated. The isolated type has a small capacitor in it which stops the voltage that the Magic Eye relies on. Open up your sockets and take a look.
Old 16-11-2008, 20:32   #5
RossJ
Inactive

Quote:
In which case you have issues with all the joins in the cable run. You need to make sure the three joins (1 in loft, and two face plates) are sound. As the box sends 9 volts up the cable to power the eye you cannot afford to have any shorts.
Check all the joins to see if there is any braid touching the centre core.

Also make sure the cable is connected to rf2 on the sky box.

Also check for a faulty eye by pluging it directly on the skybox to see if it lights.

You could also take the eye in the loft and connect it to the end of cable that runs to the sky box to help narrow down where the fault is.

Another thing to be aware of is that there are two different types of aerial socket. Isolated and non-isolated. The isolated type has a small capacitor in it which stops the voltage that the Magic Eye relies on. Open up your sockets and take a look.
Thanks for that mate, i did try taking it up to the loft and it didnt light up there so im thinking its proably ive got the wrong typre of socket in the sky box room i will have a look in a minute.

Off topic i know but are there amplifiers that have like 2 inputs so i can have the 5 terrestrial channels and my sky channel.
Old 16-11-2008, 21:01   #6
Jonnymeg
Inactive

You do not need anything like that.
As long as you have the terrestrial feed from your aerial plugged into the RF in on the sky box you will get 1 to 5 plus sky in the other room.
Old 16-11-2008, 21:12   #7
RossJ
Inactive

Quote:
You do not need anything like that.
As long as you have the terrestrial feed from your aerial plugged into the RF in on the sky box you will get 1 to 5 plus sky in the other room.
I cant get a cable from the ariel down into this room though because that would require a double socket in here wouldnt it?? and i only have a single

Cheers for all your help btw, ive repped you