Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky HD Pricing Confirmed-Pre Orders Now!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky HD Pricing Confirmed-Pre Orders Now!

Old 21-02-2006, 09:40   #1
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Sky HD Pricing Confirmed-Pre Orders Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhdtv.net
The Sky HD box will cost £299 and then there will be a monthly subscription of £9.99 for the HD channels.
It will be based on the Sky+ system and will need two satellite feeds for it to work. You will only be able to get the high definition channels on the box and the current Sky+ box is not compatible.
More.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2006, 11:30   #2
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Re: Sky HD Pricing Confirmed?

Two feeds? Is that two dishes or a dual LNB? Regardless, it's still too bloody expensive, I think I can live with SD for a while yet.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 11:32   #3
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Dual LNB.

From memory its about the same as a Sky+ subscription and box was when it first appeared.

I think I'll stick with the standard Sky+ for a while as well. Not really worth it for 10 channels or so.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 11:41   #4
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The Sky HD box will cost £299 and then there will be a monthly subscription of £9.99 for the HD channels. It will be based on the Sky+ system and will need two satellite feeds for it to work. You will only be able to get the high definition channels on the box and the current Sky+ box is not compatible.
Ok, key questions remain unanswered, Firstly, as this box is also a SKy+ type box as well is there an additional 10 quid charge for Sky+ services, effectively meaning a 20 quid surcharge?

I presume this is not the case, if so then its the same as it is for the existing Sky+ service unless they charge you 9.99 even if you get premium channels.

Also, it states "You will only be able to get the high definition channels on the box", surely this is wrong? Does that mean that everything that isnt HD (Sky One etc) you cant get?
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 11:47   #5
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
I presume this is not the case, if so then its the same as it is for the existing Sky+ service unless they charge you 9.99 even if you get premium channels.

Also, it states "You will only be able to get the high definition channels on the box", surely this is wrong? Does that mean that everything that isnt HD (Sky One etc) you cant get?
I think they will drop the existing Sky+ charge as you are already getting Sports and Movies on the new package (well 1 of each) but knowing Sky they could well try that.

As for the other thing I assume its just poorly worded on the website. The new Box has scart sockets so I'd imagine it can output the normal channels OK.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 12:17   #6
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Lightbulb Re: Sky HD Pricing Confirmed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
No, it simply means that the HD channels can only be viewed using the new HD box (which will also show all the other SD channels)

If you want solely SD channels then stick with Sky/Sky +, but if you want 10 or so HD channels & all the others in normal SD then you need the new HD box.

HTH.
Old 22-02-2006, 23:46   #7
Acropolis
Inactive

Acropolis is a jewel in the roughAcropolis is a jewel in the roughAcropolis is a jewel in the roughAcropolis is a jewel in the roughAcropolis is a jewel in the rough

I would wait a while yet before thinking about getting HD, thomson are making the first batch of box's that are coming out so they will be about as much use as an NTL box, and also there are bound to be problems with the service to start off with.

I would wait 6 months then look at getting it installed, the problems should be sorted by then and there should be some better boxs around as well.
Acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 02:43   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acropolis
I would wait a while yet before thinking about getting HD, thomson are making the first batch of box's that are coming out so they will be about as much use as an NTL box, and also there are bound to be problems with the service to start off with.

I would wait 6 months then look at getting it installed, the problems should be sorted by then and there should be some better boxs around as well.
The only problem ive had regarding Thomson Kit so far was the first LNB they gave me (which was Thomson) which was constantly giving me drops, etc. but they've replaced it with a different make now (not sure what) and it's fine
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:46   #9
m0nk3y
Inactive

m0nk3y is on a distinguished roadm0nk3y is on a distinguished road

http://ukhdtv.net/news/articles/sky_hd_fact_sheet.html

"The easiest way to do this is to advise them to buy a TV that has the “HO Ready” logo. That way your customer can be sure that it will work with Sky’s HO service. "

Sounds about right!
m0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 19:06   #10
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo
Dual LNB.
Actually they fit a quad LNB, but if you just have one Sky+ box then they only run the two cables from it. They use a quad so that you can run another Sky+ box or another two standard boxes from the same dish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nk3y
http://ukhdtv.net/news/articles/sky_hd_fact_sheet.html

"The easiest way to do this is to advise them to buy a TV that has the “HO Ready” logo. That way your customer can be sure that it will work with Sky’s HO service. "

Sounds about right!
Sky's HO box? Is that one of the new adult channels, or perhaps it's a documentary on biology on Channel Five!!

On a more serious note, Sky have not announced the pricing to anyone yet, so even though UKHDTV.net might have guessed correctly, nothing is in stone yet - and won't be until near to, or at the launch at the end of this month.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006, 08:21   #11
Neil
Inactive

Sky are now taking pre orders for HD @ http://www.sky.com/hd

£299 for the HD box + £10.00 per month for the HD subscription.
Old 24-03-2006, 10:00   #12
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Sky are now taking pre orders for HD @ http://www.sky.com/hd

£299 for the HD box + £10.00 per month for the HD subscription.
I would have descibed myself as the target audience of this service, i have an HD telly, im an existing SKY+ customer and i have premium channels.

299 quid for the box i could just about stomach, but i cant justify to myself the extra tenner a month for Sky HD, that would push the price of Sky with all the channels to 52 quid a month or around 600 pounds a year on top of the box.

Thats "almost" a 1 grand outlay in the first year for Sky HD.

Damn shame that but its just too much.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006, 10:17   #13
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age
Re: Sky HD Pricing Confirmed-Pre Orders Now!

£299?

FO.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006, 12:12   #14
monkey2468
Inactive

Services: 1tb tivo, vhd, 60meg shub2 cablemodem, 1Xphoneline, Virgin mobile contract p
monkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quads

I can understand charging more for a new STB (although it does seem steep), but charging £10 for the HD channels just seems pointless as you are already paying a subscription.
monkey2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006, 14:19   #15
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey2468
I can understand charging more for a new STB (although it does seem steep), but charging £10 for the HD channels just seems pointless as you are already paying a subscription.
But you're not currently paying for the latest state of the art Hi Definition channels are you though?

I can't see how the £10.00 charge is 'pointless' TBH.

The 'point' is that if you want to watch HDTV, then you pay the money that it costs-whether it's 'worth' the outlay is always going to be subjective.