Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ive got rid of my NTL to get Sky+ half price for a year - Is it worth it for a year?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Ive got rid of my NTL to get Sky+ half price for a year - Is it worth it for a year?

Old 05-11-2005, 21:13   #1
gimpymoo
cf.addict

gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough
Ive got rid of my NTL to get Sky+ half price for a year - Is it worth it for a year?

As topic title.

Through a work offer, I was able to get Sky+ (Twice, on multiroom) for £100 and half price subs for a year. Only paying £31.50 a month for EVERYTHING.

I cancelled my NTL DTV and am now benefitting from having the ability to record 3 channels at once in my house and watch something else :p

I only planned to have it for a year and only tried it has im soo dis-enchanted with NTL recently not doing anything it seems regarding their DTV service, even the basic things like channel numbering, channel locations, the EPG on Sky is so user freindly.

I'll probably come back once my year is finished.. and hop onto NTL's PVR service (If Launched) the problem is, ive got the dish and cable strapped to my house.. was it worth it just for a year?
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2005, 22:17   #2
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Ive got rid of my NTL to get Sky+ half price for a year - Is it worth it for a year?

So your sky outlay is £100 +£31.5* 12 = £478

NTL would have cost you 51.50-9.50 (I assume you are paying for a phone somewhere) a month = 42 +15 a month for mirror service =57*12 = 684 so you save

206 - worthwhile
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 23:18   #3
arcamalpha2004

Re: Ive got rid of my NTL to get Sky+ half price for a year - Is it worth it for a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymoo
As topic title.

Through a work offer, I was able to get Sky+ (Twice, on multiroom) for £100 and half price subs for a year. Only paying £31.50 a month for EVERYTHING.

I cancelled my NTL DTV and am now benefitting from having the ability to record 3 channels at once in my house and watch something else :p

I only planned to have it for a year and only tried it has im soo dis-enchanted with NTL recently not doing anything it seems regarding their DTV service, even the basic things like channel numbering, channel locations, the EPG on Sky is so user freindly.

I'll probably come back once my year is finished.. and hop onto NTL's PVR service (If Launched) the problem is, ive got the dish and cable strapped to my house.. was it worth it just for a year?

Is your phoneline included? because I'm paying £21.50 i think it is per month for half price, my sky + box was £89, that is for all the channels.
Old 06-11-2005, 00:21   #4
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

why would you come back? you have already admitted you are now on a superior service and since you paid an install it would seem prudent to keep it long term.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:50   #5
arcamalpha2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
why would you come back? you have already admitted you are now on a superior service and since you paid an install it would seem prudent to keep it long term.
Would have to agree unless ntl can pull something significant out the bag.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:39   #6
spike7451
Inactive

Services: Sky+/BT Home hub,phone & fusion mobile.
spike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond repute

I got Sky+ in for free (Employee deal) & i can say,it beats ANYTHING NTL can come up with in spades!The ability to record 2 channels at the same time while watching a 3rd previously recorded one is great!(no more adverts for loans,sanitary stuff to suffer!!<I tape say,sunday nights viewing & watch saturdays & so on the next day!)
Plus,the is more stuff in the works like BB thru the Sky+ box in the works.
Spike
spike7451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:45   #7
arcamalpha2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike7451
I got Sky+ in for free (Employee deal) & i can say,it beats ANYTHING NTL can come up with in spades!The ability to record 2 channels at the same time while watching a 3rd previously recorded one is great!(no more adverts for loans,sanitary stuff to suffer!!<I tape say,sunday nights viewing & watch saturdays & so on the next day!)
Plus,the is more stuff in the works like BB thru the Sky+ box in the works.
Spike
How soon is the BB near to fruition spike?
Have to agree though, I have'nt looked back since the dish was installed, no freezing pictures or other hiccups associated with ntl stb's.
Old 06-11-2005, 13:14   #8
spike7451
Inactive

Services: Sky+/BT Home hub,phone & fusion mobile.
spike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamalpha2004
How soon is the BB near to fruition spike?
Have to agree though, I have'nt looked back since the dish was installed, no freezing pictures or other hiccups associated with ntl stb's.
Nt sure,but you'll be the first to know We will be doing satalite BB for BT starting in the spring. (we were meant to start now but there's too much work on for Sky)Basically,there's a small dish (about 6in x 6in i gather) on the side of the home & a link wire to the Modem.
Sky are also experimenting with wireless from the dish to the Sky+ box & a wireless phone link to the box from what I was told by the Sky bloke who was across training us.
Think of it,from dish to box & no wires!!!A fussy house wifes dream!!lol
Spike
spike7451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 13:43   #9
arcamalpha2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike7451
Nt sure,but you'll be the first to know We will be doing satalite BB for BT starting in the spring. (we were meant to start now but there's too much work on for Sky)Basically,there's a small dish (about 6in x 6in i gather) on the side of the home & a link wire to the Modem.
Sky are also experimenting with wireless from the dish to the Sky+ box & a wireless phone link to the box from what I was told by the Sky bloke who was across training us.
Think of it,from dish to box & no wires!!!A fussy house wifes dream!!lol
Spike
Cnt wait
Old 06-11-2005, 14:18   #10
Sherlock614
Inactive

Services: Virgin 200mb, Tivo, Phone
Sherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the rough

Satellite BB is VERY slow though isn't it?

I remember reading of other possibilities years ago when I was on ISDN and couldn't get NTL. The latency between the Sat dish and the home is huge - We're talking a second here, not milliseconds. Ok for someone who absolutely cannot get BB in any other way, but no use for the likes of gaming etc.
Sherlock614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:44   #11
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

I think thats for one way sat, apperently new sat technology lowers latency and can be used for uploads.
Old 07-11-2005, 13:14   #12
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

It is physically impossible to reduce sat latency, you have to request the information and then it has to be sent. Both travel as radio waves at the speed of sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howstuffworks
Data, television, image and some telephone transmissions are routinely received and rebroadcast by communications satellites. Typical satellite telephone links have 550 to 650 milliseconds of round-trip delay that contribute to consumer dissatisfaction with this type of long-distance carrier. It takes the voice communications that long to travel all the way up to the satellite and back to Earth.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/satellite7.htm
That latency + the latency of the ground based network would mean that you would be heading up towards 3/4 sec each way, for the request and the return to be by sat, that would be a 1.5s latency!
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 21:33   #13
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

ok, I had someone claim to me he had 30ms on his sat service but I agree with whats been said the distance would make it impossible.