Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 23-06-2015, 18:47   #1561
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Well off pensioners almost certainly have had their fair share of pain but they're well off and can obviously afford to receive a little less.

Our children are not to blame for the mess we're in but they're going to have to pay for it their whole lives and work longer because of it. That's not fair either.

Many pensioners are really struggling, however, and it'd be wrong to expect them to pay more/receive less but a good number are doing very nicely thank you and although that may be down to their prudence, they can't really expect to be immune form the pain any more than our kids can. It may be unfair but blame is irrelevant because you can only take from those who have something.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2015, 18:50   #1562
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Well off pensioners almost certainly have had their fair share of pain but they're well off and can obviously afford to receive a little less.

Our children are not to blame for the mess we're in but they're going to have to pay for it their whole lives and work longer because of it. That's not fair either.

Many pensioners are really struggling, however, and it'd be wrong to expect them to pay more/receive less but a good number are doing very nicely thank you and although that may be down to their prudence, they can't really expect to be immune form the pain any more than our kids can. It may be unfair but blame is irrelevant because you can only take from those who have something.

My Dad get 28.5 k a year pension and still gets state pension yes he paid his stamp and yes he should get it but with people living longer the figures keep rising yet no one ever brings it up. When is it to much ? when its 200 billion in 2030? and I bet the sick and unemployed are still blamed then
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 19:11   #1563
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Tax Credits Act 2002

What has debt to GDP ratio got to do with it?
That was a reform, tax credits began in 1999.

Ratio is everything for the simple reason that that's how the debt burden of economies are judged. I seem to have to repeat that over and over again.

Strangely enough nation states aren't households and shouldn't be run like them. It gets really boring have to say that over and over again too.

What do poor people do with money? Do they stash it in the Cayman Islands or do they, perhaps, spend it? There is a multiplier effect, which is why welfare cuts have had a pretty bad effect on the Greek economy. The IMF actually mentioned that that multiplier was worse than 1 in the case of Greece - they anticipated it being 0.5.

Sorry, again I'm bringing facts and economics into an attempt to bash welfare. I'll stop.

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post

The poverty rate is higher among those of working age than pensioners now. Pensioners and those near retirement have done best out of all age demographics over the past 7 years.

A good number are doing very nicely and it's far less to do with prudence and far more to do with generous final salary pension schemes, subsidised by those currently working and far more generous than their schemes, alongside rampant property price inflation.

We have an entire generation that have had massively good fortune. It's not that hard to say 'Lucky them' rather than trying to make out they were somehow so much 'better' than following generations. I have no idea why people refuse to say that in many cases it's purely about when they were born, or that it's those who are working who are footing the bill in a variety of ways.

If we follow the kind of policies you seem to want our children won't be able to 'pay for it' because we'll have failed to provide them the education and infrastructure they need to be competitive in the future, and be leeching what wealth they do have from them in overpriced housing, which is nothing more than a transfer of wealth to the well housed from those who are not.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Unfortunately the economic downturn has meant poor performance in Pensions Schemes worldwide, so there will be a big shortfall one day.

So they will try to reduce all other "benefits" so that there will be enough to pay the State, Civil Service and Local Government Service pensions that already exist. But one day those pensions will gobble up all we have to spend.

And then we could end up like Greece.
The Labour and then Conservative governments, in concert with the Bank of England, basically fiddling the books to save the arses of insolvent banks has meant poor performance in pension schemes as these tend to hold large amounts of sovereign debt and the yield on that debt has been hugely depressed through quantitative easing and unjustifiably low interest rates.

That said, share prices are inflated through the roof. So if your plan is heavy on stocks you're good to go. Most aren't though, because at some point that bubble will brutally burst.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 21:30   #1564
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l think the difference is you think everybody on benefits sits on their bloody ass and is a scrounger/skiver where my point its a tiny minority who do that thus you are misrepresenting the facts because of your deep prejudices about benefit claimants.
You seem to be a mind reader.

You say that I think everybody on benefits sits on their bloody ass and is a scrounger/skiver and that I misrepresent the facts because of my deep prejudices about benefit claimants.

Those are unpleasant accusations. Substantiate them.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 22:01   #1565
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
You seem to be a mind reader.

You say that I think everybody on benefits sits on their bloody ass and is a scrounger/skiver and that I misrepresent the facts because of my deep prejudices about benefit claimants.

Those are unpleasant accusations. Substantiate them.
He won't,he never does ,I gave up trying to his accusations against me substantiated ages ago ,no where in your posts have you or anyone ever said or hinted that all benefit claimants are scroungers but Den (and a few others) like to throw accusations about to perpetuate the myth that society is turning against all benefit claimants

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Any way maybe the answer with state pensions is to scrap them all together and simply have an old age benefit which would only be given to pensioners who didn't have x amount income per year
Old 23-06-2015, 22:44   #1566
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
The government doesn't make utility companies have a cap.
Because that will initially drive up prices and ultimately reduce investment in those companies resulting in power cuts. Look at South Africa.

Quote:
Osborne and Cameron just want the poor to get poorer. They make me sick to the stomach
No, you numpty, they want the poor to get richer so that they can pay more tax.
Old 23-06-2015, 22:55   #1567
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
He won't,he never does ,I gave up trying to his accusations against me substantiated ages ago ,no where in your posts have you or anyone ever said or hinted that all benefit claimants are scroungers but Den (and a few others) like to throw accusations about to perpetuate the myth that society is turning against all benefit claimants
I know you're right, he knows you're right. There seems to be a collective persecution complex . I can't think why (but Den will know for me).....
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:53   #1568
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

So, according to the pie chart in this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...12billion.html

The majority of welfare is spent on pensions. Would anyone object to the pension pot being cut drastically?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29E5107400000578-3136020-image-a-20_1435071755558.jpg (124.8 KB, 9 views)
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:54   #1569
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze

Personally, I would cut the tax credits. Saves a lot of money in one go right there.
Old 24-06-2015, 14:14   #1570
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Personally, I would cut the tax credits. Saves a lot of money in one go right there.
Well that's where Cameron's merry-go-round comes in: People paying income tax and then getting it back as credits. Eliminate that and you get savings in eliminating the burocrasy that has to administer it. If people can keep more of their wages they might work a little harder too by not being penalised.

I'll let you explain to the poor old biddy next door how you're going to reduce her pension.
Old 24-06-2015, 14:21   #1571
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
So, according to the pie chart in this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...12billion.html

The majority of welfare is spent on pensions. Would anyone object to the pension pot being cut drastically?
The Conservatives won't cut the state pension as it will lose them several million votes.

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Well that's where Cameron's merry-go-round comes in: People paying income tax and then getting it back as credits. Eliminate that and you get savings in eliminating the burocrasy that has to administer it. If people can keep more of their wages they might work a little harder too by not being penalised.

I'll let you explain to the poor old biddy next door how you're going to reduce her pension.
That's a very big if as once they remove tax credits David Cameron has stated that he is expecting employers to make up the difference that people will have lost with the removal of tax credits through better wages which given our increasingly low wage economy looks highly unlikely as many employers will try to get away with paying as little as they can.
Old 24-06-2015, 14:36   #1572
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Just look at how small the JSA figure is relative to everything. The Housing benefit is shared amongst all of them ESA has doubled but that will be because everyone is on it now.

15 billion to the sick disabled and unemployed out of a total tax and NI take of 600 billion. Even if you add the tax credits to it makes in 40 billion that is still <8% How many of these claimants do you think do not need the money? 10% 4 billion out of 600? 20% 8 billion?

The figures make it clear to me the cut they make are not going to all of a sudden make the tax payer better off then we will never see a penny of it anyway

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post

But the State pension is growing massively what can be done about that
Old 24-06-2015, 15:33   #1573
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

I asked about pensions, because you can guarantee someone will look at that pie chart and say that the pensioners need to have curs made as well. I don't think it is so much how much a pensioner gets, more the fact that more and more people now compared to 100 years ago are reaching a pensionable age.
Old 24-06-2015, 15:46   #1574
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

As I said earlier. a cut of around 6% on all benefits will sort it.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 16:45   #1575
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
As I said earlier. a cut of around 6% on all benefits will sort it.
6 % of 200 billion is only 12 billion what is that going to do ? it will just get swallowed up