Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | legal to buy second hand card

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

legal to buy second hand card

Old 16-09-2010, 23:18   #1
trachayl
Inactive

trachayl is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation legal to buy second hand card

Hi, is it legal to buy a second hand sky box and card and then use it, I already subscribe to sky as a sky+ and a second ordinary sky in another room. and pay £5. extra to my monthly sub for this. The room with the single sky box is already set up for plus twin leads etc. I don't feel like paying sky prices for a second box and card but don't mind extra subscription. I see many second hand boxes/cards in auction sites for next to nothing but my mate told me it is illegal to use these if they are third party sellers and if I phone sky to subscribe they may close the box down thanks need your help
trachayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2010, 23:27   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: legal to buy second hand card

The card will always belong to sky, but many sell them as FTV cards.. Also Sky boxes belong to the customer so can be legally sold on.

I presume what you want to do is to buy another Sky+ box and replace the normal sky box... In that case you should be able to just swap round the boxes, insert your own card and just inform Sky (they might charge you for the SKY+ features) but as long as the box/card isn;t stolen then you should be OK..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 23:37   #3
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trachayl View Post
and pay £5. extra to my monthly sub for this.
I question your legitimacy.
£5 for extra subscription? really?

I would not had posted anything as Kymmy has said the box belongs to whoever buys the thing, but the card is always the property of Sky.

Edit > Welcome to "Your number one Cable Resource"
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 10:56   #4
trachayl
Inactive

Hi, Iv subscribed to sky digital for about ten years, and the old sky even longer with different boxes,I kept getting offers by post for this second room for £5 on top of my other monthly sub. When I did phone with the promotion code, got to admit it was hard work trying to get it for that kept trying to get me to higher packages.

Eventually they agreed but I had to pay £49 (sky always have some secret weapon) anyway when the paper contract came it said £10 so phoned to complain, they said they put it right, my first bank statement £10 had been taken SO I COMPLAINED AGAIN. THIS TIME THEY DID PUT IT RIGHT at £5.

THIS £5 HAS COME OUT OF DIRECT DEBIT EVER SINSE. I already had a sky + on contract and they gave me a single sky box to go with it for the extra £5. Also I have A free sky in the bedroom (no card need with this as I bought it myself from a dealer and had it put in)
However after using sky+ the single sky seems hopeless (my partner hogs the recording on +) and the free sky even worse As the second room with single sky is set up with twin aerial I would now like to go sky + in all rooms, two of these with +. I don't mind paying extra subscription but I do mind paying an extra £199 for another box. So providing it is legal I would buy one off an auction site
I now wish I had opted for full house and not two room but I can assure you £5 is what I pay each month with the offer I received off sky,
no point in lying I,am sure others on here pay the same

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

(Second reply),Thanks Kimmy, I might take a risk and buy as the boxes are really cheap on auction sites but I was not sure about the cards that came with some

(the first reply is to KoKnowlege) who questioned my legitimacy and the £5 extra to sky hope he/she reads the reply
Old 17-09-2010, 11:35   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You can understand the query as to the £5 especially as multiroom is £10...
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 11:54   #6
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trachayl View Post
(the first reply is to KoKnowlege) who questioned my legitimacy and the £5 extra to sky hope he/she reads the reply
Yeah, read it and please forgive me but I still don't believe you. This is why;

Your primary package is at full price and so your additional package should also be at that price but sky give you a discount for having your phone line connected to both boxes included in the multiroom package.

So if you have x2 boxes that is a single multiroom package and if you have x3 thats two multiroom packages and so on.

(Another) so giving you a discount on top of the discount is a bit difficult to believe.
Old 17-09-2010, 13:10   #7
iain_herts
Ex SKY Engineer

Services: 2x sky+ /sky16Mb/bt phone
iain_herts has reached the bronze age
iain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to iain_herts

sky also do a multiroom lite that is £5 pm all it is is that ur extra box's dont have prem channels
Old 17-09-2010, 14:06   #8
NoKnowledge
Inactive

OK, wasn't aware of that.

In that case i still say it's better to get the box off sky as you'll get a years warranty. OR if your auction site seller can supply you with a years warranty and its cheaper, do that.

As for the card, Sky will supply you with one once you subscribe as that is the route you want to take.
Old 17-09-2010, 23:55   #9
trachayl
Inactive

Thank you so much for the multi room lite answer, Its great to be believed, just because the other guy never heard of it he doubted my authenticity, its so good to hear some one answer that knows the score and not judge. Thanks again

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

NoKnowledge

I came on this forum to find answers not to be called a liar. I usually find when a person miss trusts because they don't know all the answers its because they know all the dodgy deals themselves.

Thankfully someone came in that knew the answers to multi room lite. Do you disbelieve them too?

Phoning sky for information can be a lengthy process (try it, you are sent from department to department until you finally get fed up and hang up) unless that is you want an upgrade. As I only wanted information I decided to try a forum, only to be called untrustworthy and unbelievable on both your replies SOMETHING I DID NOT EXPECT.
Thankfully I did have two tidy answers, one confirming the lite parcel and one with tidy advice.

Iv been with sky since the large old aerial then to digital and when they went to plus + I went too, so that's many many years. Why would I post a query on a sky forum and what would I gain by lying.

I simply did not want to buy a box if it was illegal (I cant afford £199 for a new box up front) therefore did not want to waste money or be shut down by sky on a legal issue

I notice there was no apology for doubting my authenticity, just the advice "I still say you should by a box off sky" I should write bigot here because that's how I feel by your answer

Lighten up the world is not all bad there are a lot of honest people out here, this I hope is not questionable !!!!!!!!
Old 18-09-2010, 00:40   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Take your own advice and lighten up as well. People are perfectly entitled to question something like appears wrong, incorrect or dodgy.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 01:30   #11
trachayl
Inactive

to Paul M
I would say look before you leap. Don't judge before finding out if you are correct, find out all the offers off sky or any other package deals offered by companies, before jumping in with accusations and apologise if you are in the wrong. I don't think anyone takes lightly being called a liar, particularly as there are no gains for the lie. Have more trust in people, if you are honest yourself it comes easy, and you keep good friends

I came for advise on a sky issue, not insults, nor did I come to give advice, as you are not noknowledge did you read my original post, I simply asked advice on a legal issue I was unsure of. Now I am unsure of any issues as it seems someone knows something I don't about the authenticity and how to get around sky packages.

Sometime this week I will phone sky and enquire, as I said its a lengthy process and I need time. For my reputations sake its unlikely I will go to a forum for it

[COLOR="Blue"]Thanks for the genuine tidy answers here. I do appreciate the genuine people that tried to help[/COLOR]
Old 18-09-2010, 06:06   #12
NoKnowledge
Inactive

wow....just...wow.

I am still smiling after reading that and at this time of the morning.

No point in getting worked up about somebody who I'm never gonna meet.

Anyways I also said
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKnowledge View Post
OR if your auction site seller can supply you with a years warranty and its cheaper, do that.
Adding to that Multiroom Lite is not a advertised mainstream product. It's only because of iain_herts I found out and I thanked him for that.

Nobody insulted you (if you feel that way, are you saying thats my fault?), all I did was question you and I did say I read your reply and please forgive me, obviously you didn't forgive me.

I did say I don't believe you but I gave a reason that followed (it's all in the context). I don't believe you on it own means something entirely different to the one I wanted to get across. I obviously failed.

And please come back and ask for any other issues to be resolved but please don't be insulted if anybody questions you...again....seriously.

You call me a bigot but I've never called you anything
Old 18-09-2010, 08:54   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

NK ... if I may be so bold, your opening shot was perhaps a tad more robust than it needed to be. "Welcome to your number one cable resource" was intended to drip with irony, was it not? Yet this thread was correctly posted in our Sky area.

Let's all get along please people, life's too short.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 13:35   #14
NoKnowledge
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
NK ... if I may be so bold, your opening shot was perhaps a tad more robust than it needed to be. "Welcome to your number one cable resource" was intended to drip with irony, was it not?
Not at all. I wanted to say something other than Welcome to Cable Forum and so used the forum motto instead.

I was wrong in my editing reason calling her a kid.