Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New House, Sky wont allow Multiroom?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

New House, Sky wont allow Multiroom?

Old 22-07-2010, 22:41   #1
WillPS
Inactive

Services: VM XXL Broadband, XL TV with V+ and L Phone
WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them
New House, Sky wont allow Multiroom?

We're moving next month, unfortunately to an area VM wont cable (in fact, the exchange isn't even unbundled!) so we're going to have to turn to the dark side for our telly.

Obviously we don't have a landline yet, although we will by the time we get Sky installed. Sky does let you sign up so long as you promise to connect within 6 weeks - but it won't let you do this if you have multiroom? What's that about?

Anyway, if I give my landlord's phone number in will I be alright? I want to sign up soon as there's £95 cashback available now.
WillPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-07-2010, 23:17   #2
JPoll
Inactive

Services: xl TV: 3xV+HD & TiVo 500GB. xl phone, 50mb BB
JPoll is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New House, Sky wont allow Multiroom?

Isn't there a deal where sky can get the line installed for you?
JPoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 23:20   #3
WillPS
Inactive

WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them

The house has a telephone line which is 'ready to go' but not active (it has no telephone number). I don't want to lock myself in with Sky in an area where the only broadband they can offer is their 'Connect' product, I'd rather go with somebody like Plusnet who'd at least make the best of a bad situation.
Old 23-07-2010, 00:12   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
Anyway, if I give my landlord's phone number in will I be alright? I want to sign up soon as there's £95 cashback available now.
Actually the local exchange (unbundled or not) has nothing to do with whether VM will cable the area. Different technology.

I don't think your idea of giving your landlord's number will work, as I believe as part of a security checking system, the box either has to dial Sky from that number regularly, or needs to be able to accept calls from Sky reguarly, again, on that number.

It's been done that way to prevent people signing up for Multi room, then giving their friends a box and splitting the cost (which is a lot lower than two installs).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 02:41   #5
WillPS
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Actually the local exchange (unbundled or not) has nothing to do with whether VM will cable the area. Different technology.

I don't think your idea of giving your landlord's number will work, as I believe as part of a security checking system, the box either has to dial Sky from that number regularly, or needs to be able to accept calls from Sky reguarly, again, on that number.

It's been done that way to prevent people signing up for Multi room, then giving their friends a box and splitting the cost (which is a lot lower than two installs).
Yeah I know - I was making more of a point that there is no option for premium TV other than Sky (HomeChoice or whatever it's called now isn't available, in other words).

That makes sense, thanks!
Old 23-07-2010, 16:14   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

If you were only after the sports channels & have a decent line speed, BT Vision is an option. Although there's no multiroom available they now carry Sky Sports 1 & 2. Also Topup TV will soon be offering Sky Sports 1 & 2 via terrestrial digital TV.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 16:54   #7
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
We're moving next month, unfortunately to an area VM wont cable (in fact, the exchange isn't even unbundled!) so we're going to have to turn to the dark side for our telly.

Obviously we don't have a landline yet, although we will by the time we get Sky installed. Sky does let you sign up so long as you promise to connect within 6 weeks - but it won't let you do this if you have multiroom? What's that about?

Normally when the customer is getting the line fitted by Sky and the line install date is a week or two after the tv install then the installer will just install the two (or more) boxes but will only activate the primary box and card.

You will then need to call and activate the other box(es) when the phoneline is installed.

So yes you should be okay. But I don't know if they will make this exception when you order the line from another provider, you may need to phone to clarify this.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 18:16   #8
WillPS
Inactive

It's everything but Sport we're after actually, Movies and all the standard pay channels.

I don't hold much hope for an amazing line speed; we're going to be pretty rural. If I get a steady usable browsing speed during the day and a slightly better speed overnight for Torrents I'll be happy, either way it's going to be rough coming down from 50mbps!!

Oh well, the £95 cashback has disappeared now so it can wait until I have a phone number. Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-08-2010, 21:20   #9
andymo
Inactive

andymo is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont worry am sure there is a something you can do about this.[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
andymo is offline   Reply With Quote