Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Plus Installation Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Plus Installation Problem

Old 26-05-2010, 15:18   #1
jiffthejiffman
Inactive

jiffthejiffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky Plus Installation Problem

Hi guys,

I bought a second hand sky plus box the other day with a brand new dish.

I've got to set it up today and come up against a problem.

The dish is mounted at the same elevation and pretty much the same pitch as my next door nieghbours so I would have thought I'd recieve some signal no matter how small.

However, I get nothing. No signal or strengh and not locked.

I beleive the box is fine as it was shown to me working, and its turns on fine.

So I can only think its something to do with my set up. Spefically the fact I'm using only one cable rather than two.

I know its a Sky plus box, but as I'd have to pay to use the record faciality I thought I'd give that a miss, and assumed that the system would work with just one wire.

Is that not the case, do I have have to have two wire?

Or if it can be done with one wire, it is possibly my connection? Ie there four output on the dish and two inputs in the box (8 combinations) and I might be using the wrong ones.

Can anyone help me? I don't want to pay £60 for someone to come over and do a two minture job when its something I can do.

CCCChhhheeeerrrrssss guys.
jiffthejiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2010, 20:46   #2
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Re: Sky Plus Installation Problem

Check the cable's plugged into the right port on the back of the box. Also check the tilt of the dish.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 07:55   #3
beeman
Kiss My Stinger

Services: Virgin VIP package, FREEVIEW
beeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to behold

Well scince you already have a quad LNB then your best bet is just to pop down to to b&q and grab some satalite grade cable and wire up the second link yourself.

As for your origional question a sky+ box can work with just 1 input, however it dosnt generally like it and can cause issues like the one your receiving. Have you tried switching the cable between both the different sockets in the back of the sky+ box, you could also try a forced update of the box (i cant quite remember the presedure but a quick google will give you the information). However by far the best option is just to wire up the second input.

Even without the sky+ sub you can still use the record 1 watch 1 feature but i beleave you much use manual recording ruther then jusr pressing the record button.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 11:35   #4
lymmranger
Inactive

lymmranger is a glorious beacon of lightlymmranger is a glorious beacon of lightlymmranger is a glorious beacon of lightlymmranger is a glorious beacon of lightlymmranger is a glorious beacon of lightlymmranger is a glorious beacon of lightlymmranger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Well scince you already have a quad LNB then your best bet is just to pop down to to b&q and grab some satalite grade cable and wire up the second link yourself.

As for your origional question a sky+ box can work with just 1 input, however it dosnt generally like it and can cause issues like the one your receiving. Have you tried switching the cable between both the different sockets in the back of the sky+ box, you could also try a forced update of the box (i cant quite remember the presedure but a quick google will give you the information). However by far the best option is just to wire up the second input.

Even without the sky+ sub you can still use the record 1 watch 1 feature but i beleave you much use manual recording ruther then jusr pressing the record button.
Are you sure about that??? - we have a skyplus box that will pick up freesat but will not record at all
Are you saying that if we manually press record it will work????
It does annoy me that as an early skyplus customer I actually paid £150 for my box (its my property) but without paying sky a monthly fee its next to useless.
I would love to have it working again so we can have it in the bedroom, after all freesat has all the channels we like to watch, but without any monthly subscription (and the foxsat hdr in the lounge is the most awsome piece of kit I have seen)
lymmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 11:48   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

@OP

The ONLY sure fire way of aligning a dish is to get a sat signal meter, even being 1 degree out can mean the difference between a working or not working signal

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

See this thread for details about setting up a dish and pointing it in the right direction (might be a freesat thread but it basically is the same group of sats)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...hlight=freesat
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:39   #6
tridens

Services: Sky TV HD
Arrow Re: Sky Plus Installation Problem

Hi the sky box will work with one feed but it has to be on the maim feed in number1 if your dish is miss alined it will not pick up a good signal a meter is best for the job but i have done it by hand but its bit tricky

move the dish slowly till you get network id 0002 transport stream 07d4 astra satelite is on 28.2 East of South

the box will not record chanells as sky disable this when you cancell your subscription or you have to pay£10 per month
Hope this helps
Old 05-06-2010, 23:00   #7
andymo
Inactive

andymo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridens View Post
Hi the sky box will work with one feed but it has to be on the maim feed in number1 if your dish is miss alined it will not pick up a good signal a meter is best for the job but i have done it by hand but its bit tricky

move the dish slowly till you get network id 0002 transport stream 07d4 astra satelite is on 28.2 East of South

the box will not record chanells as sky disable this when you cancell your subscription or you have to pay£10 per month
Hope this helps
Thanks alot! This is what i what i have been looking for. You also explained the charge for canceling subscriptions. cool
andymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 19:06   #8
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffthejiffman View Post
Hi guys,

I bought a second hand sky plus box the other day with a brand new dish.

I've got to set it up today and come up against a problem.

The dish is mounted at the same elevation and pretty much the same pitch as my next door nieghbours so I would have thought I'd recieve some signal no matter how small.

However, I get nothing. No signal or strengh and not locked.

I beleive the box is fine as it was shown to me working, and its turns on fine.

So I can only think its something to do with my set up. Spefically the fact I'm using only one cable rather than two.

I know its a Sky plus box, but as I'd have to pay to use the record faciality I thought I'd give that a miss, and assumed that the system would work with just one wire.

Is that not the case, do I have have to have two wire?

Or if it can be done with one wire, it is possibly my connection? Ie there four output on the dish and two inputs in the box (8 combinations) and I might be using the wrong ones.

Can anyone help me? I don't want to pay £60 for someone to come over and do a two minture job when its something I can do.

CCCChhhheeeerrrrssss guys.
did you use a signal meter ? having the dish looking like its at the same elevation as your neighbours is very different from its being the same, trying to install a dish without a meter is playing blind, you'l be lucky to get anything & yes you can install it with just one cable but as you said Sky+ wont work, well you would be able to record only one channel at a time but unless the receiver is left unplugged for at least three months from when the original subscription has ended all of the Sky+ features will be deactivated ie record, rewind etc as Sky send a signal to turn the futures off. the only way to get them reactivated is to get a subscription or to pay £10 a month for the Sky+ features.

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post

wrong on both accounts read my above post.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55   #9
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:25   #10
andymo
Inactive

andymo is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been searching for this information like all over the web, thanks a lot guys. [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
andymo is offline   Reply With Quote