Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Contactless cards and the future of cash

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Contactless cards and the future of cash

Old 05-03-2021, 17:55   #31
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Contactless cards and the future of cash

Crooks using card reading equipment can swipe money as you walk
They can also steal information that they can then use to steal your identity
It even possible when contactless cards were in bags and jacket pockets
The equipment needed is available for as little as £30 online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-street.html

It's old news, but with stories like this you can see why people are against the £100 limit or they are disabling the chip altogether.
Old 05-03-2021, 17:59   #32
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
The only time I use cash these days is to get the daily paper.

What does annoy me is that now and then the contactless is declined and I have to put in the card and the PIN meaning I have to touch the keys that someone else has just touched.

I know it's added security but still annoying.
I carry a small bottle of 70% antibacterial hand gel and use it regularly on the few occasions I touch anything outside

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Puts on Tin foil hat.......

It's all about control, the state and big finance wants to know exactly how much money you have and where, how you spend it and where.

They want to close banks and cash machines and go completely digital, dis-advantaging anyone that doesn't

Takes tin foil hat off.........
They pretty much know how much you have and where it is anyway unless you fiddle the dole or work cash in hand. Most everything else is recorded somewhere anyway
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 18:00   #33
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Given that Faraday cage wallets are available so you can control when the card is accessible.
I have one of those, had it for a few years now was only a few quid.
Old 05-03-2021, 18:28   #34
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

I was waiting for the bus yesterday, and as soon as it appeared in the distance, I suddenly realised I'd forgotten my bus pass! Luckily, I had my contactless card and used that to pay the fare.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 18:55   #35
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
I was waiting for the bus yesterday, and as soon as it appeared in the distance, I suddenly realised I'd forgotten my bus pass! Luckily, I had my contactless card and used that to pay the fare.
I love a story with a happy ending

Contactless is very convenient, not sure about £100. You should be able to opt out if you're not happy with that amount or set your own limit.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 19:20   #36
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Thats enough of the your nonsense.

I'm also curious why anyone would purposely disable contactless.
I don't disagree but there is some scaremongering around readers taking contactless payments from passers by or from jackets at or near the till in a bar.

It does remind me of the once I genuinely thought I'd been scammed. £27.40, couldn't work out why.

The next day in work described my outrage to a colleague as we had been standing at the bar. This is a joke... etc. etc. My colleague replies

"Two Staropramen and 20 quid cashback?"

Suddenly it all made sense. I do more often use phone payments but not out of an inherent distrust of contactless - just I have my phone on me more often than my wallet. Like a true Scotsman.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 19:25   #37
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don't disagree but there is some scaremongering around readers taking contactless payments from passers by or from jackets at or near the till in a bar.

It does remind me of the once I genuinely thought I'd been scammed. £27.40, couldn't work out why.

The next day in work described my outrage to a colleague as we had been standing at the bar. This is a joke... etc. etc. My colleague replies

"Two Staropramen and 20 quid cashback?"

Suddenly it all made sense. I do more often use phone payments but not out of an inherent distrust of contactless - just I have my phone on me more often than my wallet. Like a true Scotsman.

Had to look that up, never heard of that beer before.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 19:26   #38
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Had to look that up, never heard of that beer before.
It's fantastic if you can get a good draught pint of it. The Griffin in Glasgow was my haunt then although bizarrely they stopped doing it in favour of Moretti.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 19:48   #39
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Crooks using card reading equipment can swipe money as you walk
They can also steal information that they can then use to steal your identity
It even possible when contactless cards were in bags and jacket pockets
The equipment needed is available for as little as £30 online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-street.html

It's old news, but with stories like this you can see why people are against the £100 limit or they are disabling the chip altogether.
I have notifications on my bank and credit card (x2) accounts - if a transaction happens, I get a text notification.

I’d know immediately if someone was using one of my cards.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 21:46   #40
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It's fantastic if you can get a good draught pint of it. The Griffin in Glasgow was my haunt then although bizarrely they stopped doing it in favour of Moretti.
Been in that pub, was a few years ago now, I think I've saved a small fortune by not being able to get out for a few beers.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 22:03   #41
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Been in that pub, was a few years ago now, I think I've saved a small fortune by not being able to get out for a few beers.
yea but you're going to make up for it
Old 05-03-2021, 22:14   #42
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Given that Faraday cage wallets are available so you can control when the card is accessible.
If you get one, test it to make sure it works. Mrs P bought a Faraday pouch to keep the key for her new car. It was totally useless.

She now keeps the key in an old toffee tin, which works perfectly.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 22:52   #43
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I have notifications on my bank and credit card (x2) accounts - if a transaction happens, I get a text notification.

I’d know immediately if someone was using one of my cards.
Yes - I get mobile notifications of money in/out on all my bank accounts - current and savings.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 00:12   #44
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

https://www.facebook.com/videojanet/...95685727187287
newapollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 00:25   #45
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapollo View Post
Thanks for that - I’ll make sure to look out for anyone pressing a contactless payment terminal against my crotch* when I’m out...

*I keep my wallet in my front trouser pocket
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote