Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Britain outside the EU

Old 17-03-2021, 09:45   #631
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Britain outside the EU

You have to wonder what is the UK Governments end game here... By breaking or threatening to break agreements made by the Government itself less than 4 months ago is not a good look internationally. Dominic Raab is currently criticising China for not honouring their treaties regarding Hong Kong while at home, there seems to be a will to break our treaty with the EU.

I can see three possible reasons for the approach being taken;
  • Theatrics for political reasons - the EU don't like the taste of British steel and we quietly roll back later
  • The treaty does not get signed off by the EU Parliament making the EU to blame for 'no deal'
  • The EU makes good on its' threat to launch a legal dispute making the EU bullies

As ever, there is a strange situation where we are Great Brtian and don't you forget it, while simultaneously being bullied by the EU

My biggest concern is that it seems that actions taken which look good in the pages of The Telegraph, Mail and Express may not look so good internationally. Or, to put it on a closer to home example, you know that a plumber ripped off your neighbour, would you hire him?
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2021, 10:03   #632
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

A brilliant post (mostly), Jon.

Homing in on many a Leaver's dream:

Quote:
The treaty does not get signed off by the EU Parliament making the EU to blame for 'no deal'
I had hoped that the current deal, which at least gives the UK tariff-free trade, could be refined through the mechanisms as practicalities became visible. The next best thing that could happen, is the 'no deal' option; it should have happened back in May's day before the EU were allowed to dictate the negotiations.

Had we left without a deal, we could not be accused of breaking a treaty. We would have paid what we owed; the Pandemic would still have happened and an equilibrium would have been found.

On your final remark, I would take issue:

Quote:
My biggest concern is that it seems that actions taken which look good in the pages of The Telegraph, Mail and Express may not look so good internationally. Or, to put it on a closer to home example, you know that a plumber ripped off your neighbour, would you hire him?
The first sentence, as a postulation, is beyond criticism, imo. Your second sentence is not a reasonable analogy. International politics and related behaviour don't come near the rip-off plumber; the dynamics are totally different.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 10:57   #633
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The first sentence, as a postulation, is beyond criticism, imo. Your second sentence is not a reasonable analogy. International politics and related behaviour don't come near the rip-off plumber; the dynamics are totally different.

[/COLOR]
Thanks for the compliments!

On your last comment, I would ask 'how so'? I agree that there will be differences of course but principle stands. I see in the COVID thread that you discuss risk assessment. With an international treaty, you would look at the risks and threats of the other party not complying with the treaty and embed corresponding mechanisms to account for this.

The robustness of those provisions would reflect the risk of one or both parties breaking the treaty and the consequences of that break and could vary from 'let's have a little chat' to ending the treaty immediately.

There's little trust between nation states which is why treaties exist in the first place. If treaties can be freely broken without consequence, this has a major impact on that trust
Old 17-03-2021, 11:32   #634
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post

On your last comment, I would ask 'how so'? I agree that there will be differences of course but principle stands. I see in the COVID thread that you discuss risk assessment. With an international treaty, you would look at the risks and threats of the other party not complying with the treaty and embed corresponding mechanisms to account for this.

The robustness of those provisions would reflect the risk of one or both parties breaking the treaty and the consequences of that break and could vary from 'let's have a little chat' to ending the treaty immediately.

There's little trust between nation states which is why treaties exist in the first place. If treaties can be freely broken without consequence, this has a major impact on that trust
The problem with confining risk analysis to the treaty alone is that it omits other risk factors such as getting supplies to NI; potential social unrest in NI which would be perverse in terms of protecting the GFA.

The Guvmin has explicitly stated that it does not want to break the treaty, just to extend the grace period so that compliant systems can be built/completed. The Guvmin wanted 2 years (I think) the EU offered 6 months (don't ask for a link but that's generally known).

Then you make the point about "trust". First, the EU is not a "nation state"; it is an association with degrees of power conferred by the constituent nation states. The EU is fronted by the EC aka Brussels. They hate us for Brexit and will use every bit of legal exertion to make their point. The UK cannot win in the potentially upcoming ECJ case because the letter of the treaty gives the judges no leeway.

It's very complex and not at all akin to the rip-off plumber; Ireland is digging its picador sticks into the UK via the EC and, if Boris sticks to his guns, will end badly for the Republic. Part of that complexity is the gouging away of NI from the UK. If we can adequately automate the NI customs processes (which needs the time the Guvmin has requested), then the feeling of gouging will diminish. In the meantime, the Guvmin cannot wait for the EC to put us through the rack so they can drag out the torture.

Some Remainers might say that we should have thought about that before signing the deal. Yes - that's right; we should have walked away 2 years after Article 50.

Old 17-03-2021, 12:04   #635
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

"we should have walked away 2 years after Article 50"

Too right, we wouldn't be any worse off
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 12:23   #636
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
You have to wonder what is the UK Governments end game here... By breaking or threatening to break agreements made by the Government itself less than 4 months ago is not a good look internationally. Dominic Raab is currently criticising China for not honouring their treaties regarding Hong Kong while at home, there seems to be a will to break our treaty with the EU.

I can see three possible reasons for the approach being taken;
  • Theatrics for political reasons - the EU don't like the taste of British steel and we quietly roll back later
  • The treaty does not get signed off by the EU Parliament making the EU to blame for 'no deal'
  • The EU makes good on its' threat to launch a legal dispute making the EU bullies

As ever, there is a strange situation where we are Great Britain and don't you forget it, while simultaneously being bullied by the EU

Spot on post.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

Quote:

I would also add that breaking treaties has global ramifications. How can the UK complain about China breaking treaties in Hong Kong if we are breaking treaties ourselves. We don't have much of a leg to stand on.

I've said all along that the UK should have taken advantage of the EU's generous offer to extend the Withdrawal Agreement by another year. Instead, BoJo preferred to leave knowing that the systems were not in place but that the negative effects of Brexit would be neatly hidden by the pandemic.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 12:28   #637
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

It's like listening to a DJ with only one record
Old 17-03-2021, 12:56   #638
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
<SNIP>
I would also add that breaking treaties has global ramifications. How can the UK complain about China breaking treaties in Hong Kong if we are breaking treaties ourselves. We don't have much of a leg to stand on.

I've said all along that the UK should have taken advantage of the EU's generous offer to extend the Withdrawal Agreement by another year. Instead, BoJo preferred to leave knowing that the systems were not in place but that the negative effects of Brexit would be neatly hidden by the pandemic.
There is a vast difference between what China is doing in HK against what the UK is doing with the NI goods problem. The hypocrisy line you've taken isn't reasonable.

Btw, extending the WA for a year would have cost us billions and would only push the EU's enmity (and various consequences) one year down the road.

Old 17-03-2021, 13:02   #639
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The problem with confining risk analysis to the treaty alone is that it omits other risk factors such as getting supplies to NI; potential social unrest in NI which would be perverse in terms of protecting the GFA.

The Guvmin has explicitly stated that it does not want to break the treaty, just to extend the grace period so that compliant systems can be built/completed. The Guvmin wanted 2 years (I think) the EU offered 6 months (don't ask for a link but that's generally known).

Then you make the point about "trust". First, the EU is not a "nation state"; it is an association with degrees of power conferred by the constituent nation states. The EU is fronted by the EC aka Brussels. They hate us for Brexit and will use every bit of legal exertion to make their point. The UK cannot win in the potentially upcoming ECJ case because the letter of the treaty gives the judges no leeway.

It's very complex and not at all akin to the rip-off plumber; Ireland is digging its picador sticks into the UK via the EC and, if Boris sticks to his guns, will end badly for the Republic. Part of that complexity is the gouging away of NI from the UK. If we can adequately automate the NI customs processes (which needs the time the Guvmin has requested), then the feeling of gouging will diminish. In the meantime, the Guvmin cannot wait for the EC to put us through the rack so they can drag out the torture.

Some Remainers might say that we should have thought about that before signing the deal. Yes - that's right; we should have walked away 2 years after Article 50.
So when the Government signed off on the 6 months grace period, do you feel it was done with the full intention of doing the work in 6 months or did the Government have no intention of fulfilling that promise and was going to take 2 years anyway?

If it was the first and there have been issues with getting everything in place, surely the sensible option would be to go through the Joint Committee set up to oversee and monitor the application of the treaty rather than just doing it. Let's remember that the Government has not requested an extension, it has told the EU it is taking one. It seems unnecessarily belligerent.

If it was the second and the UK had no intention of fulfilling its' obligations, then infringement procedures are probably justified.
Old 17-03-2021, 13:15   #640
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
So when the Government signed off on the 6 months grace period, do you feel it was done with the full intention of doing the work in 6 months or did the Government have no intention of fulfilling that promise and was going to take 2 years anyway?

If it was the first and there have been issues with getting everything in place, surely the sensible option would be to go through the Joint Committee set up to oversee and monitor the application of the treaty rather than just doing it. Let's remember that the Government has not requested an extension, it has told the EU it is taking one. It seems unnecessarily belligerent.

If it was the second and the UK had no intention of fulfilling its' obligations, then infringement procedures are probably justified.
I can't answer your question as to the Guvmin's intentions, Jon. They shouldn't have signed the 6 months grace period and should have walked away instead.

A unilateral action by the UK triggers infringement proceedings; that's how the EU works. Seen from the UK side in the context of its NI problems, I don't see how the Guvmin could have done anything other than what it's doing. The UK should have walked away.

Old 17-03-2021, 13:27   #641
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I can't answer your question as to the Guvmin's intentions, Jon. They shouldn't have signed the 6 months grace period and should have walked away instead.

A unilateral action by the UK triggers infringement proceedings; that's how the EU works. Seen from the UK side in the context of its NI problems, I don't see how the Guvmin could have done anything other than what it's doing. The UK should have walked away.
A unilateral action by either side would trigger infringement proceedings.

The Government should have used the Joint Committee to secure an extension. That's what the mechanism is there for and is what the UK agreed to. Why have an agreement and not use it?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 14:21   #642
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
It's like listening to a DJ with only one record
Probably 'Circles' by Manfred Mann's Earth Band
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 14:26   #643
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
A unilateral action by either side would trigger infringement proceedings.

The Government should have used the Joint Committee to secure an extension. That's what the mechanism is there for and is what the UK agreed to. Why have an agreement and not use it?
I'm pretty sure that the Guvmin felt it needed to take urgent action on NI rather than fart around with a long winded JC process.

Of course, that should be a matter in hand now.

Old 17-03-2021, 14:43   #644
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the Guvmin felt it needed to take urgent action on NI rather than fart around with a long winded JC process.

Of course, that should be a matter in hand now.
From a quote in my previous post
Quote:
It is understood that a new specialised committee, mandated under the Brexit deal, will be quickly set up and will convene in the next two weeks to thrash out a solution. A signoff is expected at a meeting of the UK-EU joint committee, which Gove and Šefčovič pencilled in for mid-March.
The U.K. Government took unilateral action four weeks after talks commenced, only two weeks before sign-off of a deal was expected, with four weeks left on the existing grace period - why not wait two more weeks, and if no amicable solution was forthcoming, then take the unilateral action?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 14:53   #645
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From a quote in my previous post The U.K. Government took unilateral action four weeks after talks commenced, only two weeks before sign-off of a deal was expected, with four weeks left on the existing grace period - why not wait two more weeks, and if no amicable solution was forthcoming, then take the unilateral action?
Do we know that? My reading of what you said is that the UK was within 2 weeks of getting sign off on the requested extension.