Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sports you watch?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

Sports you watch?

Old 05-02-2019, 12:45   #46
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: Sports you watch?

Soccer. Football for heavens sake.

Do you substitute the archery with Darts then.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2019, 12:47   #47
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Etymologically I believe we used the term soccer until the US started then we switched to Football.

Darts is dull (to me) so no I wouldn't substitute it. You can have archery darts, even have dart player vs archer. There are some rules to make things equitable.
Old 06-02-2019, 14:02   #48
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Not strictly true, whilst Rugger was a shortened name for rugby football and soccer was a shortened version of aSSOCiation football and was first used in the 1880's mainly by UK college types who like to stick an ER on the end of anything, hence Johnners, Aggers, Blowers etc.

We generally always used the term football well before the USA started to shorten gridiron football to simply football.

So whilst the term did originate in the UK is was only ever really a nickname, we didn't switch to football because of the American usage of the word soccer.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:26   #49
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Thanks for the detail.

Still seems to make some sense to use Soccer as an unambiguous term for association football and let the colonies use Football for their games. Even though there is more "foot" in soccer than the others.

Why is it a touch down in gridiron when they rarely touch the ball down. Probably history - I'll have to look it up.
Old 07-02-2019, 15:22   #50
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Pro wrestling - still a competitive sport but likely not in the way most people would define it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 16:57   #51
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Thanks for the detail.

Still seems to make some sense to use Soccer as an unambiguous term for association football and let the colonies use Football for their games. Even though there is more "foot" in soccer than the others.

Why is it a touch down in gridiron when they rarely touch the ball down. Probably history - I'll have to look it up.
Would have to disagree with you - American Football (hand-egg, really) is played professionally in the USA, Mexico, and Canada, whilst football is played professionally in most countries in the world - I think we have dibs on the word...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 15:16   #52
traceyjedison
Inactive

traceyjedison is an unknown quantity at this point

Volleyball and football...
traceyjedison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 12:45   #53
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Would have to disagree with you - American Football (hand-egg, really) is played professionally in the USA, Mexico, and Canada, whilst football is played professionally in most countries in the world - I think we have dibs on the word...
Don't forget Gaelic, Australian rules, 2 forms of Rugby and likely a whole host of other games using the the term "football".
Old 26-11-2019, 12:50   #54
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Don't forget Gaelic, Australian rules, 2 forms of Rugby and likely a whole host of other games using the the term "football".
Here's a few more forms of football that are played around the world tweetiepooh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_football

https://www.goalprofits.com/differen...s-of-football/