Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Simon Cowell considering axing UK shows..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Simon Cowell considering axing UK shows..
View Poll Results: Which do you want to axe or save?
Axe X Factor 44 86.27%
Axe BGT 37 72.55%
Save X Factor 7 13.73%
Save BGT 13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2010, 16:52   #31
ShaneC
cf.addict

ShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Simon Cowell considering axing UK shows..

It's kind of weird, people wanting shows axed that they don't watch, that's pretty sad, shame on you sad people. Oh by the way, I love both shows :P
ShaneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2010, 17:07   #32
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Well you wouldn't want them to axe a show that you do watch, would you?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 17:09   #33
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
It's kind of weird, people wanting shows axed that they don't watch, that's pretty sad, shame on you sad people. Oh by the way, I love both shows :P
Not weird at all. Together with all the result shows, and other hype they take up several hours of TV each. Hours that could be used for something decent. Then there is the fact that it's hard to pick up a newspaper without being exposed to what is happening on the latest Pop-Idol/Opportunity-knocks-with-phone-voting clone from Simon Cowell. That's without mentioning that the TV and Radio news often carry items about them as well.

If the rest of that hype didn't happen, I would just ignore the shows.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 23:57   #34
ShaneC
cf.addict

ShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Not weird at all. Together with all the result shows, and other hype they take up several hours of TV each. Hours that could be used for something decent. Then there is the fact that it's hard to pick up a newspaper without being exposed to what is happening on the latest Pop-Idol/Opportunity-knocks-with-phone-voting clone from Simon Cowell. That's without mentioning that the TV and Radio news often carry items about them as well.

If the rest of that hype didn't happen, I would just ignore the shows.
That's just crazy, nowadays we have multi channels, the internet and dvd/blu ray so get your entertainment where you want it from. These shows don't have to be watched.

If they get in the media that's because the media thinks they will sell newspapers. My tip, don't read/buy tabloid newspapers. Journalists are a bunch of self satisfying egotists in my opinion.

Look, I love these shows as they are easy going and entertaining family shows. I got three kids and they love them. They don't do any harm so leave them alone
Old 10-09-2010, 00:12   #35
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
That's just crazy, nowadays we have multi channels, the internet and dvd/blu ray so get your entertainment where you want it from. These shows don't have to be watched.

If they get in the media that's because the media thinks they will sell newspapers. My tip, don't read/buy tabloid newspapers. Journalists are a bunch of self satisfying egotists in my opinion.

Look, I love these shows as they are easy going and entertaining family shows. I got three kids and they love them. They don't do any harm so leave them alone
It's not crazy at all. And you have picked up on something specific I said while totally missing the point of what I said. Which is: Thanks to the amount of hype generated by these assorted shows, it is almost impossible to avoid seeing at least something about them unless you totally cut yourself off from the media.

This is something I don't want to do, and don't see why I should have to.

As for not doing any harm? How about to the careers of those they promise success and fame to? Think about that. Cowell has been pedalling these sorts of shows for over ten years now. How many of the winners are still famous and successful? Not many.

As for the multi channels/DVD comment. True, we do have those things. If I want to watch a cheap American import or a repeat on Saturday night, I can. I just tune to Living, any Sky channel or any one of the old UKTV channels. Perhaps I don't want to. Same with DVDs.
Old 10-09-2010, 00:47   #36
SideWeaver
Inactive

Services: VIP 50MB Bundle + Extra V+ Box
SideWeaver is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish these reality shows would be kicked out and the money invested properly.. Too many good shows like The Bill have been ruined and are no longer being made. ITV for sure has gone down down hill.
SideWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:01   #37
ShaneC
cf.addict

why does seeing something about the show in the media cause an issue. There are lots of things in the media I don't care about. It doesn't worry me, I just ignore it or file it under "meh"

Also, your second point, who is still famous? I mean come on, Olly Murrs is currently number one, Diana Vickers is doing well, JLS have many hits, Diversity are everywhere and sold out......none of these were the winners. So in my book, they've done ok out of the shows.

To me, Saturday night is about family entertainment. The type that doesn't really require you to think too much. I mean who wants to be intellectually challenged on a Saturday night?

There are many shows I don't watch or don't really care about. However I realise that others enjoy them so good for them, I won't stand in their way and I certainly wouldn't come onto an Internet forum baying for their blood. If the show appears in the media, I would also ignore that. People tell me Glee is liked, it doesn't interest me, not going to worry about it but if it rocks your boat, good for you.

Anyway, this has gone way too serious. We all know Simon Cowell will only make the programmes whilst he can screw us for money. When it loses money it will die.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:56   #38
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

But there's a difference between "family entertainment" and the public humiliation of quite a few of the contestants - everyone who appears on the TV show has been auditioned before they go before the panel; do we really believe that the ones everyone laughs at because they are so bad suddenly deteriorated overnight, or have they been put on the TV because they are so bad?

I am sorry, but putting people up for public humiliation is not, in my eyes, family entertainment.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:44   #39
Stuart
-

Quote:
Also, your second point, who is still famous? I mean come on, Olly Murrs is currently number one, Diana Vickers is doing well, JLS have many hits, Diversity are everywhere and sold out......none of these were the winners. So in my book, they've done ok out of the shows.
So did Gareth Gates and Will Young while the hype machine was still interested. Where are they now? For that matter, where are most of Hearsay? The members of that band with long term success are no longer singing.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:57   #40
Sasha222
Inactive

Sasha222 has a nice shiny starSasha222 has a nice shiny star
Sasha222 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWeaver View Post
I wish these reality shows would be kicked out and the money invested properly.. Too many good shows like The Bill have been ruined and are no longer being made. ITV for sure has gone down down hill.
For me and I think others as well the bill was ruined when they started bringing in people that had left soaps. It was like a second home for them. When they done that I stopped watching it.
Sasha222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:04   #41
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:

To me, Saturday night is about family entertainment. The type that doesn't really require you to think too much. I mean who wants to be intellectually challenged on a Saturday night?

I do..after all Mon -Fri are work days and I need less stimulation then.I need to wind down.

Saturday Night if I don't go out I want a good film or drama with an actual plot and possibly an inspirational story.

I cannot recall the last time I bothered watching Saturday Night TV..without just falling asleep from boredom.
Old 10-09-2010, 16:53   #42
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I feel sorry for the kids these days. When I grew up in 70s, I had bands that 20 years later i could listen still to.

The kids now, they have Jedward. I can see mass suicide sessions
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 17:53   #43
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

I would like to see Londons Burning and the original Family Fortunes back on a saturday night, also i want Heart Beat back haha, i used to love sitting with the family watching all these.
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 17:55   #44
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

ahh..I remember trying to guess the answers to family fortunes..those were the days
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 18:01   #45
Sasha222
Inactive

Sasha222 has a nice shiny starSasha222 has a nice shiny star
Sasha222 has a nice shiny star

They still show the old shows on Challenge of Famiyl Fortunes. I loved Les Dennis doing it. He was much better than Vernon Kay. Also why does Vernon Kay only have the Celebs on it and not ordinary people. I loved strick it lucky as well and Michael Barrymores' "My kind of people"
Sasha222 is offline   Reply With Quote