Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Quickstart pack - Thinner coax cable?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Do the VM cabs have a UPS?

Old 01-03-2021, 20:17   #1
gimpymoo
cf.addict

gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough
Do the VM cabs have a UPS?

Am thinking of getting a UPS so in the event of power outage, can still use some devices for basic internet access, VOIP etc.

Although, if the cabs in the street have no UPS themselves, that would be pointless.

Thanks.
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2021, 22:47   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Do the VM cabs have a UPS?

and indeed it is pointless
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 22:59   #3
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymoo View Post
Am thinking of getting a UPS so in the event of power outage, can still use some devices for basic internet access, VOIP etc.

Although, if the cabs in the street have no UPS themselves, that would be pointless.

Thanks.
Most cabs have battery back up.

Also, as I understand a UPS will cover fluctuations and other short term issues with the power, but if there is an actual power outage.......no good.
Old 01-03-2021, 23:17   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Most cabs have battery back up.
Only for the phone IIRC. Not much point keeping BB and TV working if all the houses have lost power.

Mobile data is your best bet for emergency backup. We get a lot of power failures here, but it's rare for the mobile signal to go down.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 00:00   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Only for the phone IIRC. Not much point keeping BB and TV working if all the houses have lost power.

Mobile data is your best bet for emergency backup. We get a lot of power failures here, but it's rare for the mobile signal to go down.
With phone moving over to VOIP, even this wouldn't keep the phone working. I agree, a mobile is the best backup option.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:01   #6
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:

I wonder if this has changed with newer cabs? I'm in a new build estate and we've had loads of power cuts due to the builders cutting through various cables.

I got a UPS after the first few outages, and the ones since either havent effected the virgin cab, or there is some sort of battery as i've not lost BB until my UPS has died
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:44   #7
gimpymoo
cf.addict

gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
I wonder if this has changed with newer cabs? I'm in a new build estate and we've had loads of power cuts due to the builders cutting through various cables.

I got a UPS after the first few outages, and the ones since either havent effected the virgin cab, or there is some sort of battery as i've not lost BB until my UPS has died
Thanks.

Not sure why some are saying a UPS is pointless. You usage scenario covers exactly what I was referring to and does indeed show there is some kind of redundancy in the cabs or your supplying cab is on a different mains connection than the estate which I suppose is possible?
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:11   #8
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Subject to confirmation there is supposed to be a backup device to enable those that have phone connected to hub to provide a backup supply for contacting homecare workers.
My aged mother has an alarm call device enabling 2way conversations with a paid for care service.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:32   #9
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Subject to confirmation there is supposed to be a backup device to enable those that have the phone connected to hub to provide a backup supply for contacting homecare workers.
My aged mother has an alarm call device enabling 2way conversations with a paid for care service.
Some while ago I had my phone dead in a power failure and when the power was restored I spoke to VM and the woman agent said phone me back when it happens again. I checked with Ofcom and all phone cabs should have backup batts in the case of an emergency AN EMERGENCY such as 99 call
2 weeks later VM replaced the batteries.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:39   #10
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

A UPS is definitely not pointless and does provide some amount of battery backup.

My home server and disk shelf and network switches/APs are on a 3kVA APC UPS and will run for about an hour and when battery reaches 25% the server will shut down cleanly, which is much safer for the disk array.

Given that most of the "power cuts" we've experienced in the 5 years we've lived here are under 5 minutes, or are me tripping the RCBO and needing to reset it, this has been invaluble.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:21   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
With phone moving over to VOIP, even this wouldn't keep the phone working. I agree, a mobile is the best backup option.
VM will provide an emergency backup device for vulnerable customers with VOIP

From https://store.virginmedia.com/conten...er%20Guide.pdf:

"Please read below carefully.
• If there's a power cut or network outage, you won't be able to make or receive calls.
• If you have accessibility needs, call us on 0345 454 1111 and we'll send an engineer to provide an Emergency Backup device at no extra cost that allows 999 calls during outages.
• Any devices connected to your phone, such as care, fire or burglar alarms will stop working if there's a power or network outage
• Some connected devices might not be compatible with our fibre phone line please check with the device manufacturer.
• Devices connected to extension wiring and sockets will stop working after your phone service has been switched.
• Please keep the Hub switched on 24/7, even overnight, or you won't be able to make or receive calls."
Old 02-03-2021, 12:55   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Some while ago I had my phone dead in a power failure and when the power was restored I spoke to VM and the woman agent said phone me back when it happens again. I checked with Ofcom and all phone cabs should have backup batts in the case of an emergency AN EMERGENCY such as 99 call
2 weeks later VM replaced the batteries.
The guidance has been updated to reflect newer technologies and doesn't now mandate batteries in the network where other options are feasible:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultatio...ions-power-cut
Quote:
Providers should have at least one solution that enables access to emergency organisations for a minimum of one hour in the event of a power outage in the premises

A1.10 We consider that providers should have at least one solution which would allow customers to access emergency organisations in the event of a power outage at their premises.

Providers should have at least one solution
A1.11 The obligations in GCA3 are technology neutral and therefore we do not intend to prescribe what type of solution providers should employ for the purposes of providing access to emergency organisations in the event of a power cut at the customer’s premises.

A minimum of one hour
A1.12 We consider that a solution would in most cases meet Principle 1 if it offered the customer the ability to access emergency organisations on the emergency call numbers of 112 and 999 for a minimum of one hour following a power cut. Providers must also ensure equivalent access48 to emergency organisations for those customers that use textphones/text relay. These customers cannot dial 999 or 112 directly but use access codes, typically 18000.
Old 02-03-2021, 16:25   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
VM will provide an emergency backup device for vulnerable customers with VOIP

From https://store.virginmedia.com/conten...er%20Guide.pdf:

"Please read below carefully.
• If there's a power cut or network outage, you won't be able to make or receive calls.
• If you have accessibility needs, call us on 0345 454 1111 and we'll send an engineer to provide an Emergency Backup device at no extra cost that allows 999 calls during outages.
• Any devices connected to your phone, such as care, fire or burglar alarms will stop working if there's a power or network outage
• Some connected devices might not be compatible with our fibre phone line please check with the device manufacturer.
• Devices connected to extension wiring and sockets will stop working after your phone service has been switched.
• Please keep the Hub switched on 24/7, even overnight, or you won't be able to make or receive calls."
Thanks SP, that's very reassuring for vulnerable customers.

Do you know if there are any plans to move existing customers onto VOIP?
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 18:47   #14
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Do you know if there are any plans to move existing customers onto VOIP?
I don't know of the plans, but it would make sense when the existing switches reach of life.
Old 02-03-2021, 21:35   #15
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post

If you are in a full fibre area the chances are that the mains driven cabinets are located further away. In HFC areas, not only does the local fibre node require a mains supply, some of the intermediate cabinets do as well. I live 1Km away from my Fibre node & rely on 2 intermediate cabinets for mains. If the power at any of these locations fails I lose BB & TV even if the power is still on in the house.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote