Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why does Virgin Not have a virgin 1 or virgin sport?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Why does Virgin Not have a virgin 1 or virgin sport?

Old 26-03-2021, 02:12   #1
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack
Why does Virgin Not have a virgin 1 or virgin sport?

Not sure if this has been asked but why doesn't virgin not have its own channels like sky and BT? Like Virgin 1 or Virgin Sports like Sky 1 and Bt Sports
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2021, 05:52   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Why does Virgin Not have a virgin 1 or virgin sport?

l am pretty sure after the Sky TV basics dispute Virgin did launch a Virgin One channel although it did not seem to last that long.

Other forum members would know a bit more about this.
Old 26-03-2021, 10:18   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

BT Sports was added to all subscribers whether we wanted it or not, with a fee added.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 10:47   #4
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Virgin Media UK isn't in the direct content market currently, they sold their holdings to Sky some years ago and the old Virgin1 channel was reconstituted as something else. Virgin has no plans publicly to get back into the content or broadcasting market, but VM IE does has a content division and channels so this may be something that changes in future.

As for sports... its not commercially viable. Have you seen how much money is thrown at sports rights agreements these days!

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 12:46   #5
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

They have Virgin 1,2 and 3 and Virgin Sports in Ireland only presumably because of copyrights. They do look good as I watched them when I was in Dublin a couple of years ago.
Old 27-03-2021, 00:02   #6
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

They do not want to spend the money needed to acquire any sports rights to be able to fill a sports channel of their own - I imagine the same applies to drama programs for a V1 channel.

End result they negotiate to provide channels from Sky/BT.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 15:23   #7
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
They do not want to spend the money needed to acquire any sports rights to be able to fill a sports channel of their own - I imagine the same applies to drama programs for a V1 channel.

Although they do run the Virgin Ultra HD channel, which has shown dramas such as Mr Mercedes, Absentia and Underground, to name a few.

If Virgin had their own 24 hour channel exclusive to Virgin, it would offset the advantage Sky customers have with Sky Atlantic.
Old 28-03-2021, 15:35   #8
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l am pretty sure after the Sky TV basics dispute Virgin did launch a Virgin One channel although it did not seem to last that long.

Other forum members would know a bit more about this.
They did indeed had a few decent shows on too including the Sarah Connor chronicles.

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

And when BT and SKY decide they want exclusivity of their own channels it's game over for Virgin tv one would think.
SKY are already starting the process with BTTV now running Nowtv on their platform, only a matter of time before VM get the same.
Old 28-03-2021, 21:11   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post

And when BT and SKY decide they want exclusivity of their own channels it's game over for Virgin tv one would think.
SKY are already starting the process with BTTV now running Nowtv on their platform, only a matter of time before VM get the same.
It’ll come anyway in time, I believe. If I am right and Sky dump their satellite TV in favour of Peacock, Virgin viewers would have to access the streamer to see those programmes. So Peacock would join Netflix, Prime and the rest on the VM platform, paying Sky direct by way of a Peacock subscription.
Old 28-03-2021, 21:18   #10
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It’ll come anyway in time, I believe. If I am right and Sky dump their satellite TV in favour of Peacock, Virgin viewers would have to access the streamer to see those programmes. So Peacock would join Netflix, Prime and the rest on the VM platform, paying Sky direct by way of a Peacock subscription.
I myself have access to Peacock for around £4p/m it is exceptional value even more so now WWE is on it but one wonders how long they can keep that price point.
HBOMax is considering a cheaper ad option too.
Paramount+ is another one to watch too.

SKYs satellite service won't be going anywhere for a very long time.
Old 28-03-2021, 21:42   #11
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
I myself have access to Peacock for around £4p/m it is exceptional value even more so now WWE is on it but one wonders how long they can keep that price point.
HBOMax is considering a cheaper ad option too.
Paramount+ is another one to watch too.

SKYs satellite service won't be going anywhere for a very long time.
Which VPN do you use mate?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 22:06   #12
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Which VPN do you use mate?
I use ibvpn mate they're not cheap.
They recently got took over by strongvpn who don't have a very good reputation so i'm seeing how it goes as my 12 months expires next month. I've had no issues so far though.

Last edited by Legendkiller2k; 28-03-2021 at 22:10.
Legendkiller2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 00:31   #13
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
I use ibvpn mate they're not cheap.
They recently got took over by strongvpn who don't have a very good reputation so i'm seeing how it goes as my 12 months expires next month. I've had no issues so far though.
Cheers mate.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote