Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DOCSIS 3.1 & Hub 4.0 news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

“Soft” first quarter at Virgin Media

Old 08-05-2019, 18:54   #1
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
“Soft” first quarter at Virgin Media

Quote:
In the three months to March 31, 2019, Virgin’s ARPU was down to 51.36, from 51.58 12 months previous.

However, it was far from a bad quarter for Virgin, which put on 60,000 RGU additions.

It also increased its top broadband speed to 500 Mbps, while introducing a new Intelligent WiFi system designed to improve customers’ in home experience.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...-virgin-media/
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2019, 21:27   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: “Soft” first quarter at Virgin Media

Maybe this is why they are pushing V.VIP so much, to get their ARPU up?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 21:44   #3
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Probably why they are making it more difficult to get discounts for people who aren't genuinely intending to cancel. There's no point in having price rises if people can essentially opt out.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:12   #4
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Probably why they are making it more difficult to get discounts for people who aren't genuinely intending to cancel. There's no point in having price rises if people can essentially opt out.
True, but surely a retentions deal just serves to delay a price-rise by 9/12/15 months..
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 21:08   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

...and a retention deal with a lower profit is better than losing a customer altogether.

These days they do seem to be letting people go ahead and cancel though and then contacting them later on during the notice period to try to get them to stay.

A family member and a friend had both been with cable for donkeys years and rang to say that they found the latest price rises were unacceptable. Nothing was done to try and keep their custom, so they both set up new (cheaper) suppliers to start after the cessation of their VM services.

Calling their bluff and contacting them towards the end of the notice period certainly backfired in these cases as their reduced price offer simply came too late. I'm certain that had something been done in a timely manner, they would have stayed with VM.
Old 10-05-2019, 21:22   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Yeah, I've had a soft quarter too. Mainly due to bloodsucking offspring....
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 13:55   #7
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
...and a retention deal with a lower profit is better than losing a customer altogether.

These days they do seem to be letting people go ahead and cancel though and then contacting them later on during the notice period to try to get them to stay.

A family member and a friend had both been with cable for donkeys years and rang to say that they found the latest price rises were unacceptable. Nothing was done to try and keep their custom, so they both set up new (cheaper) suppliers to start after the cessation of their VM services.

Calling their bluff and contacting them towards the end of the notice period certainly backfired in these cases as their reduced price offer simply came too late. I'm certain that had something been done in a timely manner, they would have stayed with VM.
Only if the customer actually intends to leave though.

If the customer doesn't intend to leave then it's revenue lost. Yes, taking a hard line will result in some customers moving on, but if the proportion of chancers is high then a hard line will benefit revenue and profits in the long run. Less customers isn't a bad thing if those remaining are higher quality.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 12:11   #8
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

I switched my TV from VM to Sky a few years ago and one of the things Sky tend to do now is advertise the majority of their offers to both new and existing customers, the latter tying you into a new contract.

Surprised that VM haven’t followed suit as it surely alleviates a lot of the faux cancellations if existing customers can just select a new deal if they are happy with a new contract.

With the amount of cord cutting, service providers, etc, these days, I think Sky have it spot on as retention is as valuable as attracting new customers in this day and age.
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 20:27   #9
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post
I switched my TV from VM to Sky a few years ago and one of the things Sky tend to do now is advertise the majority of their offers to both new and existing customers, the latter tying you into a new contract.

Surprised that VM haven’t followed suit as it surely alleviates a lot of the faux cancellations if existing customers can just select a new deal if they are happy with a new contract.

With the amount of cord cutting, service providers, etc, these days, I think Sky have it spot on as retention is as valuable as attracting new customers in this day and age.
Before being bought by Comcast, Sky UK/Ireland ARPU fell to £45 a month down from £47 the previous year which puts Virgin's 22p decline (£51.36 from £ 51.58) into perspective.

According to BARB estimates, Sky has lost 900,000 DSat customers in the UK over the past 7 years and, unlike Virgin, Sky/Comcast refuse to reveal actual UK DTH subscriber numbers which in itself suggests Sky do not have it quite so spot on as you think they do. Plus, let's not forget the best deals from Sky (and Virgin) remain exclusive to those who refuse any new deal and cancel.
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 21:12   #10
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Long may it continue I'm all for paying less at contract end.

Jeremy Darroch can worry about the numbers , he gets paid enough.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 11:13   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchain View Post
Before being bought by Comcast, Sky UK/Ireland ARPU fell to £45 a month down from £47 the previous year which puts Virgin's 22p decline (£51.36 from £ 51.58) into perspective.

According to BARB estimates, Sky has lost 900,000 DSat customers in the UK over the past 7 years and, unlike Virgin, Sky/Comcast refuse to reveal actual UK DTH subscriber numbers which in itself suggests Sky do not have it quite so spot on as you think they do. Plus, let's not forget the best deals from Sky (and Virgin) remain exclusive to those who refuse any new deal and cancel.
Do you think this will force a change? The best deals will have to be publicised in future.

https://advanced-television.com/2019...st-deal-rules/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 18:01   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Do you think this will force a change? The best deals will have to be publicised in future.

https://advanced-television.com/2019...st-deal-rules/
I think this is a good idea. Many people are too busy, are shy, have cognitive difficulties or lack the confidence to haggle and end up being penalised for this.

I wonder, however, if they will still be able to offer certain customers a bespoke price. I wrote to complain about the latest price rise (I can't leave at the moment as i'm still in contract domestically for a few more months) and have had the price rise extinguished plus a bit more off on top.

I was told that this discount is open ended and will never expire. I told them that i'd been told this before and had experienced hassle further down the line, so they have put this in writing for me to prevent a repetition.
Old 29-05-2019, 18:54   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I wonder, however, if they will still be able to offer certain customers a bespoke price.
Yes they can. See my earlier post on the subject.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 19:09   #14
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Yes they can. See my earlier post on the subject.
You may have to link or cut'n'paste it as it's not on this thread spiderplant.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 21:41   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

It's ok, i've found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
No, they only have to show generally available tariffs.

"We acknowledge that, where notifications include the cheapest generally available tariff, a customer may be able get a cheaper price than that shown by negotiating directly with the provider or purchasing via a third party."

"there is also nothing that prevents providers from presenting alternative tariffs to their customers, where they are lower than the cheapest generally available tariff and the provider decides to make them available"

Source: Ofcom
It's good to know that my pricing won't change, but that those unable/unwilling to negotiate are still able to benefit from this.