Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2019, 10:36   #3646
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Always amuses me when people denigrate research and fact-finding, as if it is a negative thing - having been an Intelligence Analyst for 6 years in a previous career, I was taught to not just research, analyse, collate, and present information, but also to look at the source of the material for validity; the truth is out there, it just needs to be found and verified.

Too busy eating Gelato in Rome to google...
I suspect doing robust research along the lines you suggest throws up the wrong kind of answers.
Enjoy Rome.
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2019, 10:40   #3647
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Always amuses me when people denigrate research and fact-finding, as if it is a negative thing - having been an Intelligence Analyst for 6 years in a previous career, I was taught to not just research, analyse, collate, and present information, but also to look at the source of the material for validity; the truth is out there, it just needs to be found and verified.

Too busy eating Gelato in Rome to google...
Pip stole my line....There is nothing amiss in researching, and fact finding, the thing that you do. But it’s the way you do it. The determination that you must try prove a forum opponent wrong and I say opponent, because that is how you characteristically treat the poster, you’re responding to and you apply this approach mainly to folk who are not politically aligned with you.
Old 24-06-2019, 10:41   #3648
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I suspect doing robust research along the lines you suggest throws up the wrong kind of answers.
Enjoy Rome.
Or throws out millions of different answers, it's tedious work picking out the ones you agree with
Old 24-06-2019, 10:53   #3649
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Step back and reassess things for a minute. You link a blog that claims all will be well. I point out that there is no evidence just claims and you say I am pompous and pedantic!!

You are blind to facts and reason. Get out of your Tory membership bubble and live in the real world for a while.

You claim something will happen? Fine but back it up with reasoning and evidence. If you cannot, it is just that, a claim ..
Erm, all you ever do is post claim after claim, with zero evidence. I told you forecasts are not evidence and never will be and that is the end of it.

Also. I told you to stop demanding others provide evidence when you never do. Ignore me again ianch, at your own peril.
Old 24-06-2019, 11:18   #3650
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Surely the only true debates you can have apart from philosophical ones are information-based ones. This should be commended and not denigrated. You can never assume another's motives here.
The alternative is of course the I'm right/No, I'm right argument which doesn't get us anywhere.
Of course, the information cited may not ever be perfect and probabilities may be attached to it. But we're all logical human beings so should be able to factor this in.
Old 24-06-2019, 11:48   #3651
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Surely the only true debates you can have apart from philosophical ones are information-based ones. This should be commended and not denigrated. You can never assume another's motives here.
The alternative is of course the I'm right/No, I'm right argument which doesn't get us anywhere.
Of course, the information cited may not ever be perfect and probabilities may be attached to it. But we're all logical human beings so should be able to factor this in.
We cannot have a situation where someone demands evidence all the time, and you can be guilty of this at times, but then provide absolutely none yourself, when you cast off your own dispersions of opinion.

The problem here is Brexit has not occurred so there is no evidence of fact. Remainers want to write off Brexit because they are so against it, and put forward claims of chaos. The so called experts said the millennium bug would be a massive issue, a disaster for the tech industry, it wasn’t. They said not joining the EURO, would be catastrophic for the British Economy, it wasn’t.

You and ianch telling the rest of us that this expert opinion or forecast for the millennium bug and not joining the Euro, is evidence, because that is quite frankly, bullshit.

We are a single country that has voted to become independent again, of the EU, we do not need to be in their overpriced club to do trade. But we’re too busy here, well, some of us are, trying to still argue the toss that we should leave or not, that boat has sailed. The UK voted to leave.
Old 24-06-2019, 12:14   #3652
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Erm, all you ever do is post claim after claim, with zero evidence. I told you forecasts are not evidence and never will be and that is the end of it.

Also. I told you to stop demanding others provide evidence when you never do. Ignore me again ianch, at your own peril.
I have posted many times with links to evidential articles detailing ways No Deal is disadvantageous to this country. Here are some more for you:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...alysis__1_.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.go...March_2019.pdf

Look, you just don't care what anyone says about what is likely to happen, you just want the outcome at any cost. I get that but I care what happens to this country and I care what happens to my children.

If someone says No Deal will not adversely impact this country, like John Redwood does, I will say prove it .. every time ..
Old 24-06-2019, 12:38   #3653
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I have posted many times with links to evidential articles detailing ways No Deal is disadvantageous to this country. Here are some more for you:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...alysis__1_.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.go...March_2019.pdf

Look, you just don't care what anyone says about what is likely to happen, you just want the outcome at any cost. I get that but I care what happens to this country and I care what happens to my children.

If someone says No Deal will not adversely impact this country, like John Redwood does, I will say prove it .. every time ..
Wonderful, you have linked to more opinions and waffle.

And It’s not about caring, it’s about believing. Past Forecasts and disaster predictions have been historically false.
Old 24-06-2019, 12:41   #3654
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
We cannot have a situation where someone demands evidence all the time, and you can be guilty of this at times, but then provide absolutely none yourself, when you cast off your own dispersions of opinion.

The problem here is Brexit has not occurred so there is no evidence of fact. Remainers want to write off Brexit because they are so against it, and put forward claims of chaos. The so called experts said the millennium bug would be a massive issue, a disaster for the tech industry, it wasn’t. They said not joining the EURO, would be catastrophic for the British Economy, it wasn’t.

You and ianch telling the rest of us that this expert opinion or forecast for the millennium bug and not joining the Euro, is evidence, because that is quite frankly, bullshit.

We are a single country that has voted to become independent again, of the EU, we do not need to be in their overpriced club to do trade. But we’re too busy here, well, some of us are, trying to still argue the toss that we should leave or not, that boat has sailed. The UK voted to leave.
1) I've never demanded a higher standard of evidence than I am prepared to supply myself, that's inaccurate.
2) I've never mentioned the Millennium Bug (what a joke that was, lol) or advocated joining the Euro or we will suffer on this forum. Experts do sometimes get things wrong but mostly they get it right - experts built this forum's software, the device you have typed into and the power station that supplies the electricity for doing so.
3) Forecasts are not bullshit. They represent the best available information out there and those supplied to the Government are as impartial as possible and not produced by some underground pact of Remainers. Indeed, the Government was not keen for them to be published.
Old 24-06-2019, 12:44   #3655
Mick
Cable Forum Team

BREAKING: Brexit Party to challenge Peterborough by-election result amid mounting evidence convicted electoral fraudster Tariq Mahmood acted as an “agent” to Labour candidate @LisaForbes_
Old 24-06-2019, 12:48   #3656
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Wonderful, you have linked to more opinions and waffle.

And It’s not about caring, it’s about believing. Past Forecasts and disaster predictions have been historically false.
Those are extremely reputable sources, Mick as they're published by the Government. If you were ranking source accuracy, they would be at the top and sites like RT and InfoWars at the bottom. You may not agree with 100% of their conclusions but you should be able to both understand and agree with a lot of the information in there.
Old 24-06-2019, 13:08   #3657
Mick
Cable Forum Team

You suddenly trust this government, because it fits squarely with your agenda.
Old 24-06-2019, 13:17   #3658
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
If you read this article that Angua linked to, it explains the recruitment question and the New IRA's interest in the border.

The first time that I've heard about our continually pandering to the New IRA is in your post. As far as I'm aware, no one is suggesting that. However, I'm sure you appreciate that it's better not to adopt policies that increase support for terrorism if you can avoid it.
Quote:
The New IRA, one of a small number of groups that opposes Northern Ireland’s 1998 peace deal,
It's just a unsubstantiated claim by them. Every time people say we must or mustn't do X, because of the peace process, is purposefully and blatantly pandering to the terrorists.
Old 24-06-2019, 13:23   #3659
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You suddenly trust this government, because it fits squarely with your agenda.
It's about looking at the source of the material and its purpose.

I think it's right to be sceptical of Government literature issued to households by a Remain government encouraging people to vote remain.

But if a Government commissions analysis to help it plan for different scenarios and then tries to prevent such information falling into the public domain, I wouldn't be as sceptical.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
It's just a unsubstantiated claim by them. Every time people say we must or mustn't do X, because of the peace process, is purposefully and blatantly pandering to the terrorists.
No because as you've highlighted, they don't believe in the peace process.
Old 24-06-2019, 14:09   #3660
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Just my opinion on this . .

You can have as much expert analysis, profiling, research, forecasts etc etc as you like, but it's the way the information is finally presented (and the 'keywords' used therein) at the target that sway the reader in many cases.

Interpretation/Presentation . . open to human fallibility
Closed Thread