Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:13   #5191
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

You might not sit through them but you may have no choice to see the key interesting content that you want to see. After all, you are the one telling us there’s virtually nothing worthwhile on linear television.

Netflix aren’t harvesting all the data on your household viewing habits just to make suggestions. The obvious step is targeted advertising on the platform.
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2019, 12:38   #5192
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A not very innovative way to pay off $20bn of debt.
Adding millions more subscriptions every year, is though.

Quote:
Netflix aren’t harvesting all the data on your household viewing habits just to make suggestions. The obvious step is targeted advertising on the platform.
Yep. They'll all be at it soon. The market is worth an absolute fortune.

Without taking the thread too off topic, people don't seem to realise what all these tech companies like Google, Amazon, Apple etc are all about. It's about collecting as much data as they possibly can on people, then monetising that.

Last edited by Horizon; 02-05-2019 at 12:42.
Old 02-05-2019, 13:20   #5193
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Adding millions more subscriptions every year, is though.

Yep. They'll all be at it soon. The market is worth an absolute fortune.

Without taking the thread too off topic, people don't seem to realise what all these tech companies like Google, Amazon, Apple etc are all about. It's about collecting as much data as they possibly can on people, then monetising that.
If you can’t see the product they’re selling, you’re the product...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 02-05-2019, 13:33   #5194
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It seems like OB has finally had one of those light bulb moments.
Old 02-05-2019, 13:51   #5195
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It seems like OB has finally had one of those light bulb moments.
Don't worry there is more to come.
Old 02-05-2019, 15:37   #5196
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You might not sit through them but you may have no choice to see the key interesting content that you want to see. After all, you are the one telling us there’s virtually nothing worthwhile on linear television.

I think they would soon change their minds if huge numbers abandoned a streaming service that started to ram commercials down our throats. A subscription option with no ads is the only service I would subscribe to.

As I said originally, there is no reason why an option to view free of charge (or at a lower cost) without adverts cannot be made available alongside the existing service.
Old 02-05-2019, 17:49   #5197
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think they would soon change their minds if huge numbers abandoned a streaming service that started to ram commercials down our throats. A subscription option with no ads is the only service I would subscribe to.

As I said originally, there is no reason why an option to view free of charge (or at a lower cost) without adverts cannot be made available alongside the existing service.
But I thought it was the high quality content, not available on linear television, you were after?

If (or rather, when) they all do it the consumer will not have a choice. No-one will be able to develop the breadth of content on offer without that money. Advertisers need to push their products, and in different ways, streaming will not be immune to it.

It’ll start subtle - a brief advert before your programme - before it ramps up.
Old 02-05-2019, 19:53   #5198
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

A little correction here! I meant to say:

'..there is no reason why an option to view free of charge (or at a lower cost) with adverts cannot be made available alongside the existing service.'

Sorry about that!

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Quote:
But I thought it was the high quality content, not available on linear television, you were after?

If (or rather, when) they all do it the consumer will not have a choice. No-one will be able to develop the breadth of content on offer without that money. Advertisers need to push their products, and in different ways, streaming will not be immune to it.

It’ll start subtle - a brief advert before your programme - before it ramps up.
I think you must be misunderstanding me as I don't see how your point applies to what I have said.

It is of couse high quality content I want, but I don't want it interrupted by ads.

The principle I am putting forward is the same as ITV and Channel 4 have adopted. The catch-up service is offered free of charge with advertising or by subscription with an enhanced selection and no ads.

In both scenarios, the streamers get income, either through subscriptions or through commercials. Everyone wins.
Old 02-05-2019, 20:37   #5199
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Except advertisers. Your proposal only offers them access to a 'lower quality' subscriber, likely to have less disposable income - a key desirable demographic will be absent.

Streamers will get more in total from advertisers and subscribers by adopting both in the same model. They understand so much more about their viewer base - not just what they watch but when they watch it - so they can offer targeted advertising in a much more sophisticated way.

The premium they can charge for advertising is for the paying customers, not the 'will take something if it's free' consumer.

Being the one, or one of two, put in front of a programme will attract an even higher price premium at relatively minor inconvenience to the subscriber. They could perhaps see 8 ads in an evening, but from advertisers trying really hard to get to them.

Last edited by jfman; 02-05-2019 at 20:41.
Old 02-05-2019, 20:45   #5200
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Except advertisers. Your proposal only offers them access to a 'lower quality' subscriber, likely to have less disposable income - a key desirable demographic will be absent.

Streamers will get more in total from advertisers and subscribers by adopting both in the same model. They understand so much more about their viewer base - not just what they watch but when they watch it - so they can offer targeted advertising in a much more sophisticated way.

The premium they can charge for advertising is for the paying customers, not the 'will take something if it's free' consumer.

Being the one, or one of two, put in front of a programme will attract an even higher price premium at relatively minor inconvenience to the subscriber. They could perhaps see 8 ads in an evening, but from advertisers trying really hard to get to them.
Not all high earners subscribe to Netflix and probably less would do so if they had to sit through hours of mindless adverts. They would lose custom like mine and the advertisers wouldn't gain one iota from the likes of me.

YouTube seem to be doing all right, attracting a higher proportion of young upwardly mobile viewers.
Old 02-05-2019, 20:55   #5201
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Who has got the time to watch all this TV? No wonder diabetes is on the rise.
Come the Corbyn revolution, it'll a max of 30 mins a day TV. The rest of the day, you'll need to work on the land with your neighbours/community. And you'll be happier
Old 02-05-2019, 20:55   #5202
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Not all high earners subscribe to Netflix and probably less would do so if they had to sit through hours of mindless adverts. They would lose custom like mine and the advertisers wouldn't gain one iota from the likes of me.

YouTube seem to be doing all right, attracting a higher proportion of young upwardly mobile viewers.
You seem to be misunderstanding demographics - at no point did I imply that 'all' high earners would take subscription services and that no low earners would. That's a ridiculous assertion, but very much a straw man argument on your part because it simply isn't what I said.

Streamers will be able to gleam so much useful information about their subscriber base, location, working pattern - even social habits and holiday habits. Is the viewer in on Friday and Saturday nights? Do they log in from Dubai, Benidorm or Blackpool when away from home?

Youtube isn't selling premium content, it's selling 'no adverts'.

Last edited by jfman; 02-05-2019 at 21:01.
Old 02-05-2019, 21:56   #5203
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Who has got the time to watch all this TV? No wonder diabetes is on the rise.
Come the Corbyn revolution, it'll a max of 30 mins a day TV. The rest of the day, you'll need to work on the land with your neighbours/community. And you'll be happier
I watch an absolute maximum of 2 hours in an evening (but sometimes up to six hours on a Friday or Saturday evening when we don't go out, staying up to about 2am).

I'm very active during the day and am fairly slimline these days.

It's not about quantity, but quality.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 02-05-2019 at 22:40.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:21   #5204
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

The absence of ads on Netflix is, for me, a major incentive for subscribing. That and the option to watch shows in a series back to back. Conversley, the presence of (un-skippable) ads on, for instance, All 4 is a major disincentive for viewing anything at all. There is much in the Walter Presents programmes that appeal to me - but not at the cost of being obliged to sit through the commercials. Perhaps Channel 4 will join Britbox when it's launched and make the Walter Presents shows available ad-free. And, then again, perhaps that's just a pipe dream.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:33   #5205
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
The absence of ads on Netflix is, for me, a major incentive for subscribing. That and the option to watch shows in a series back to back. Conversley, the presence of (un-skippable) ads on, for instance, All 4 is a major disincentive for viewing anything at all. There is much in the Walter Presents programmes that appeal to me - but not at the cost of being obliged to sit through the commercials. Perhaps Channel 4 will join Britbox when it's launched and make the Walter Presents shows available ad-free. And, then again, perhaps that's just a pipe dream.
Top tip, record things then Fast Forward through the ads. This is top secret, don't tell anyone else
Closed Thread