Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | M1000 is available. How to order?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

M1000 is available. How to order?

Old 27-01-2020, 16:59   #61
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
I have also came back to VM after leaving them 8 years ago and having max speed on a BT FTTC 80/20 connection. G.Fast was rolled out and because I was just outside of the range of it I was not allowed to order it.

I went for the jump and ordered the Gig1 service and it was installed in late November (Bracknell area fed from Reading hub)

The speeds and service are so much better than back in the days on their 60 meg service and huge congestion issues. I am running from the hub 4 at the moment. Interesting to see what you all do with regards to modem mode.

Good to see Sephiroth still here. He helped me so much back in the day. Masses of knowledge.

All my speed test are max on 940 down and 52 up. The only way to get the full speed on a test is using samknows.com/realspeed/ which runs directly from the router.
I'm in modem mode. Now more usually around the 820/52 mark but when at its fasted, 940/54. In router mode, I got 980/54 but I didn't stay in router mode too long because I needed to get back to my 192.168.1.1 peripherals. For the couple of days that I was in router mode, I got the feeling that the WiFi was better than the Hub 3 in reach terms - but I don't know why.

When I can afford it, I'll go to an AX11000 router so that my iPhone can work at top speed; I need it like a hole in the head but I like the idea.

Thanks for your kind remarks.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-01-2020, 18:32   #62
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

When I can afford it, I'll go to an AX11000 router so that my iPhone can work at top speed; I need it like a hole in the head but I like the idea.

Thanks for your kind remarks.

best thing for SH3. Just purchased an ASUS RT-AX88U and stuck the new Merlin firmware on it. What a difference. the ax1100 is the one with the 2.5G port on it yes? should see a nice turn of speed
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 19:47   #63
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Just watch out Seph as the AX1100 isn't supported by merlin (None of the ROG's are). Unless you have an actual need for that 2.5G port (And you won't for several years with Virgin) I would consider the AX88U over it as the functionality from asuswrt-merlin is far better.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 19:59   #64
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Just watch out Seph as the AX1100 isn't supported by merlin (None of the ROG's are). Unless you have an actual need for that 2.5G port (And you won't for several years with Virgin) I would consider the AX88U over it as the functionality from asuswrt-merlin is far better.
Thanks Kush. But I always stay with stock firmware. I'll look at the AX88U, though.

Old 28-01-2020, 20:07   #65
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

That's fair. I have the AX88U myself so I am happy to answer anything about it. As far as I know, it shares the same Broadcom chipset as the AX1100, it's just not got the 2.5G port or the 802.11a bands. Everything else (including performance) is the same.
Old 28-01-2020, 21:54   #66
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That's fair. I have the AX88U myself so I am happy to answer anything about it. As far as I know, it shares the same Broadcom chipset as the AX1100, it's just not got the 2.5G port or the 802.11a bands. Everything else (including performance) is the same.
Same the AX88U is fantastic and the latest update from merlin is so satiable
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 13:10   #67
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

I thought 1000Mbps download should be 100Mbps upload as a 10.1 ratio? What the point of 1000/52 for £62 a month.
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 15:37   #68
Kushan

The network hasn't been upgraded to handle faster upstream speeds. Upstream is still DOCSIS 3.0, not 3.1
Old 01-03-2020, 20:57   #69
Tazz
cf.member

Services: BT Infinity 2 80/20 Sipgate VOIP
Tazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
The network hasn't been upgraded to handle faster upstream speeds. Upstream is still DOCSIS 3.0, not 3.1
What kind work is required to get the US to DOCSIS 3.1 in your guys opinion.
Tazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 19:21   #70
Kushan

I don't know a huge amount about it, but from what I understand it's a considerable amount of work and not happening any time soon (at least in HFC areas).
Old 02-03-2020, 20:07   #71
Sephiroth
Simples

Somene may correct me but something like three times the current upstream fibre capacity would need adding with associated upgrades the the fibre nodes in the street.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:24   #72
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road

Virgin are going to start struggling to compete with BT soon then. Virgin expect to roll out 1Gbps by 2021, and my city is on BT's list for full FTTP by end of 2021 too. If Virgin don't sort out the crap upload speeds, I'll finally have the option to leave Virgin as BT are rolling out 1000/115.
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:32   #73
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I don't think Virgin have anything to worry about, not everyone lives in a city, so if VM are their best option then they will stay.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:52   #74
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I don't think Virgin have anything to worry about, not everyone lives in a city, so if VM are their best option then they will stay.
Many of the new BT FTTP installations are in towns and boroughs, not just cities.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...band-plan.html

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86 View Post
Virgin are going to start struggling to compete with BT soon then. Virgin expect to roll out 1Gbps by 2021, and my city is on BT's list for full FTTP by end of 2021 too. If Virgin don't sort out the crap upload speeds, I'll finally have the option to leave Virgin as BT are rolling out 1000/115.
Not to mention Vodaphone rolling out 900Mb up and downstream.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:18   #75
Kushan

Virgin has always lagged behind in upload speeds, headline download speeds appeal more to most and arguably the need for 100mbit upload speeds is much reduced.