Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Old 18-12-2015, 16:18   #226
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Just saw it. Mind = blown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2015, 06:16   #227
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Managed to grab another viewing last night - never going to turn down a freebie ticket especially for Star Wars

I was partly on edge during the first showing, desperately hoping they wouldn't screw it up and boy did they not screw it up! They've carried on the story perfectly, it had everything a proper SW film needed. The characters were well developed, the bad guys truly were nasty and it's great to finally have a badass dark Jedi - IMO in a shorter space of time he's nastier than Vader. General Hux is also an awesome baddie, perfectly psychotic and very 'Adolph Hitler'.

Only a few slight criticisms, not going in to details as I don't want to spoil anything but those who have seen it will understand, certain characters develop certain skills a little too quickly and easily in my view. It didn't take anything away from the story though. Plus one of the characters, given their background and history appeared to have unexpected difficultly in combat with a less experienced individual. But again that didn't spoil the scene or overall story.

I'm heavily biased obviously but The Force Awakens has to be one of the greatest films I've seen. It's not for everyone but they've done a great job, can't wait for the next one. Loved Daniel Craig's cameo (he's the one who's a victim of a Jedi mind truck), the humour was just right, and although they obviously needed to have some things aimed at kids for merchandising, thankfully no Jar-Jar Binks-level Annoying characters.

The future's bright, the future's JJ Abrahams
Old 19-12-2015, 22:54   #228
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

JJ is not directing any of the others, tho he will be an executive producer, whatever that means.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 00:23   #229
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

All an exec producer does is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_producer
Quote:
In motion pictures, an executive producer oversees the filmmaking with regard to film finance. Executive producers liaise with the line producer and report to production companies and distributors
So not a lot to do with the actual movie making.
Old 31-12-2015, 18:56   #230
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I've just got back in from watching it.

Spoiler: 
Han is Dead, Leia felt it.

Finn & Ray will marry and have kids (Episodes 10, 11 &12)?

But I think Ray is the Daughter of Luke.
Old 31-12-2015, 19:06   #231
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Saw it on Tuesday. Loved it. It very much benefits from the decision to row back on excessive use of CGI creatures and the focus on a relatively simple core plot, instead of the bloated, overly complex mess Lucas gave us in eps 1-3.

The only downside is that we are asked to accept that a lot of stuff is the way it is "just because", but TBH I thought it was quite refreshing and the pace of the story benefited from there being no great long exposition.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 00:21   #232
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Well, the Original Trilogy didn't explain a lot (or anything) of what happened before it.

With TFA, all I really would have liked a bit more detail on was:

Spoiler: 
The Republic and the Resistance. The (rather excellent) Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary explains the galactic backstory, but it would have helped to have a bit more detail in the film, either just a bit more dialogue or an extra line in the opening crawl.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 18:07   #233
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Re-watch the original. So much has been said and written since, we forget how little of the back-story was even hinted at in the first instalment. I really quite liked it this way. There's plenty of time to fill in the gaps. Gives us all something to look forward to.
Old 02-01-2016, 23:42   #234
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Spoiler: 
Simon Pegg was Unkar Plutt

The Strom trooper forced by Rey to release her was played by none other than Daniel Craig (aka Bond)

http://screencrush.com/daniel-craig-...ameo-revealed/

http://screencrush.com/the-force-awa...eos-star-wars/
Old 03-01-2016, 01:12   #235
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Re-watch the original. So much has been said and written since, we forget how little of the back-story was even hinted at in the first instalment. I really quite liked it this way. There's plenty of time to fill in the gaps. Gives us all something to look forward to.
Oh, I know.

I watched the Despecialized Editions of the Original Trilogy in the run up to seeing The Force Awakens

I do still think though that:

Spoiler: 
Empire versus Rebellion in the OT was more straightforward and obvious than First Order versus Resistance-while-the-Republic-is-also-knocking-around-doing-something. The crawl explained that the First Order rose from the ashes of the Empire, which is fair enough and all you need for that. But I would have liked some info on the Resistance/Republic relationship, rather than having to make assumptions or read external sources.

---------- Post added 03-01-2016 at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was 02-01-2016 at 23:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Only a few slight criticisms, not going in to details as I don't want to spoil anything but those who have seen it will understand, certain characters develop certain skills a little too quickly and easily in my view. It didn't take anything away from the story though. Plus one of the characters, given their background and history appeared to have unexpected difficultly in combat with a less experienced individual. But again that didn't spoil the scene or overall story.

Spoiler: 

Remember how little training Luke had in the Original Trilogy?

He grew up as a moisture farmer on a desert backwater, and had never before left his home planet until going off with Obi-Wan and co on the Falcon, and yet he was able to pilot and dogfight with an X-Wing during the Battle of Yavin. And not only that, he also managed to make the kill shot on the Death Star, without a targetting computer, all because Obi-Wan told him to "Use the Force".

Luke's actual Jedi training in A New Hope consisted solely of a quick go at using a lightsaber to deflect blaster bolts from a remote, while the Falcon was travelling to Alderaan. He also witnessed Obi-Wan use the Jedi Mind Trick once and use a lightsaber once, before boarding the Falcon.

Three years later, in The Empire Strikes Back, Luke was able to use the Force to remotely grab his lightsaber while he was hanging upside down in a wampa's ice cave. This was despite him never having been taught that particular Jedi technique, nor even seeing it before, and despite him not actually having any Jedi training since that brief play with a lightsaber on the Falcon.

He then flew to Dagobah, where he had a very brief period of training with Yoda (we know it was brief as it happened at the same time the Falcon was in the asteroid field and then off to Bespin).

During this brief bit of training, Yoda tried to teach Luke Jedi mediation, Force Lifting, and other things, and tried to teach Luke the importance of patience and control and self-belief. Unfortunately, Luke failed his training with Yoda, and then recklessly and emotionally abandoned it to go off to Bespin and try and rescue his friends.

At Bespin, Luke then managed to hold his own in a lightsaber duel against Darth Vader, someone who had had many years of actual training and practice, while Luke himself could not have had actual duelling practice or training before, as you can't do that with a remote and there would have been no one for him to duel with. Of course, Vader was toying with him and just wanted to capture him.

One year after that, in Return of the Jedi, Luke had clearly used the off-screen time gap to try and practice what Yoda had tried to teach him back on Dagobah.

Despite not having any additional formal training from an actual Jedi Master since The Empire Strikes Back (as we know that Luke never returned to Dagobah until ROTJ), Luke had *finally* learned patience and control and focus and self-belief, and as such was now able to fully use the Jedi Mind Trick, Force Pull, etc., and also fully able to *properly* fight with a lightsaber, leading to his second duel with Vader at the end of the film. No longer was he a reckless and impatient whiner.

So, The Force Awakens...

Rey is clearly a natural pilot - just like Luke and Anakin.

Rey is clearly very strong with the Force - just like Luke and Anakin.

But, *unlike* pre-ROTJ Luke, Rey is already clearly shown to be possessed of patience and control and belief in herself, and is already clearly shown to be capable of fighting and of defending herself.

Rey already has those qualities that Luke lacked when Yoda tried to train him - those things the lack of which caused Luke to fail when with Yoda.

So, once "Awakened", why shouldn't Rey develop her Force abilities as quickly as we saw? It's not about formal training in specific Jedi skills - it's about control and patience and believing that you can do it.

The only ability I think is a bit of a stretch is the Jedi Mind Trick on Daniel Craig's Stormtrooper, which was played for laughs. But I think that can be explained by her "Awakening" to the Force and by her exposure to Jedi mind powers from Kylo Ren's Force Interrogation.

The Kylo Ren / Finn / Rey fight:

Rey -

As above.

Finn -

He has been trained since childhood to be a Stormtrooper. His whole purpose in life has been to fight for the First Order. He also presumably would have been trained in using that stun baton thing we saw another Stormtrooper use against him earlier on (in a scene that would have been better with Captain Phasma as the opponent, to give her something to do).

Kylo Ren -

Clearly very strong with the Force, plus he had been trained by Luke *and* by Snoke (but not yet fully trained). Light and Dark.

But, as repeatedly shown in the film, he was very undisciplined, and prone to temper tantrums, and prone to showing off and trying to be flashy.

And, of course, two important things happened to Kylo Ren just before the fight: 1) He had been shot by Chewie's Bowcaster, something that would have instantly killed anyone else and then blasted them off that bridge (the film repeatedly and deliberately showed us just how powerful it was), and 2) He had just killed his own father, thinking that it would end his inner turmoil and end the "call of the Light".

So, when he faced off against Finn, and then Rey, he was *not* at his best!

He also looked like he was toying with Finn (we know he's both a show off and reckless, and could have just Force Choked Finn).

But, despite Kylo Ren's emotional and physical handicaps, and despite him not really full-on trying to kill Finn anyway, Finn only managed to get *one* lucky strike in before Kylo Ren sliced open Finn's back and left him for dead.

And then Rey joined the fight... Strong with the Force and recently "Awakened", already capable of fighting and of defending herself (unlike Luke at the same point in his hero journey), and already patient and in control and possessing belief in herself (unlike Luke at the same point in his hero journey).

And so she held her own, when Kylo Ren wasn't trying to kill her and wanted to turn and train her (like Luke and Vader in ESB), and then got the upper hand when she fully opened up to the Force (and - it seemed - let her anger out too... ).

I have various issues with the film, despite utterly loving it, but I have no problem with Rey, Finn, and Kylo Ren's skills in general or with the final fight.

Anyway. Awesome film. I've seen it three times now, and want to go again
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:46   #236
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

What are your views on a Rey & Finn "Marriage" thus potential carrying on the saga beyond Episode 9?
Old 03-01-2016, 14:30   #237
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So not a lot to do with the actual movie making.
I get the impression that the Exec producer can have a lot to do with the movie, if he or she is allowed, but it can also be used to keep someone's name on the credits without giving them any power.

I remember reading once that the reason Gene Rodenberry was an executive producer on the original Star Trek movies is because they couldn't really make the movies without him being apparently involved and he kept submitting scripts that somehow ended up with Kirk on a grassy knowl in Texas in 1963 holding a gun..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 15:38   #238
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Shatner's autobiography of that period is fascinating, if a bit one-sided. I see Roddenberry and Lucas as being similar in many ways. They were ideas men, most of their ideas were loony tunes, but they had just one really *big* idea, in the right place, at the right time, which, with the right support, paid off. But after that (c.f. Star Wars V and VI; all the Trek movies) it was a matter of keeping them on a tight leash.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:17   #239
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

One possible idea that's been mentioned - when Ren says "I will finish what you started" he may have been referring to Anakin rather than Vader, suggesting he's on some sort of path where he feels he needs to 'go Dark' to complete his destiny, maybe to win Snoke's trust in order to defeat him. As the Light Side would never allow the death and evil Ren has caused it would be likely he'd eventually make a noble self-sacrifice at the end.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:40   #240
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I remember reading once that the reason Gene Rodenberry was an executive producer on the original Star Trek movies is because they couldn't really make the movies without him being apparently involved and he kept submitting scripts that somehow ended up with Kirk on a grassy knowl in Texas in 1963 holding a gun..
I'm sure that story wouldn't have been any worse the 'Star Trek - The Motion Picture'.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote