Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear 8 port switch help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Netgear 8 port switch help

Old 13-03-2018, 21:30   #1
Arty2K16
cf.member

Arty2K16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Netgear 8 port switch help

Hi all!
I am purchasing an ethernet switch as I have too many wired devices to connect to SuperHub 3 and wanted some advice.

Im not an expert on networking, but am fluent in PC & networking speak.

What I wanted to know is; can I still use said SHub3's WiFi or do I have to put the Hub in modem mode?

I have a plug in wireless access point, but it is only a cheapo N rated, but ideally I need AC wireless..

So can I set the switch to use a fixed IP address and use the switch's DHCP IP range just for the wired side, and use the Shub's DHCP IP range?

Thanks in advance for listening :-)
Arty2K16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2018, 00:03   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Netgear 8 port switch help

You dont need to do anything other than link the hub to the switch via a cable.

If you are running the hub in normal mode you can link any port on it to any port on the switch. It will all then just work, like magic.

(In modem mode, you have to use port 1 on the hub).
You will then have 7 more ports (on the switch) you can use.

Switches dont have (or need) IP addresses.
(Unless its an expensive one with remote management functionality, which you dont need).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 00:25   #3
Arty2K16
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
You dont need to do anything other than link the hub to the switch via a cable.

If you are running the hub in normal mode you can link any port on it to any port on the switch. It will all then just work, like magic.

(In modem mode, you have to use port 1 on the hub).
You will then have 7 more ports (on the switch) you can use.

Switches dont have (or need) IP addresses.
(Unless its an expensive one with remote management functionality, which you dont need).
So to get this right, I can use the SuperHub 3 in Router Mode for the Wifi AND connect a patch cable from the superhub to the switch and use the switch to manage the wired connections?
The switch I am going for is the Netgear GS108UK 8 port gigabit switch.
I may have to tinker a bit as a few of my devices have a static (and reserved in Shub) IP and would like this to stay the same too if possible.

Thanks for your reply Paul :-)
Old 14-03-2018, 10:01   #4
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty2K16 View Post
So to get this right, I can use the SuperHub 3 in Router Mode for the Wifi AND connect a patch cable from the superhub to the switch and use the switch to manage the wired connections?
The switch I am going for is the Netgear GS108UK 8 port gigabit switch.
I may have to tinker a bit as a few of my devices have a static (and reserved in Shub) IP and would like this to stay the same too if possible.

Thanks for your reply Paul :-)
I have a NAS disc plugged into a switch and it uses a static IP address. All the switch does is remember which device is on each port. Just consider it as an extention to the router.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 10:56   #5
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Switches and hubs (not SHub) don't operate at the IP level so (generally) don't have IP addresses. They are very similar as far as home use/devices are concerned so the difference really isn't important. Just think of both as being port expanders essentially giving you more ports on the SHub. Networking wise it will be invisible, you won't need to adjust any IP addresses or settings, you just get an additional 7 ports (one used to connect switch to SHub).
Old 14-03-2018, 22:18   #6
Arty2K16
cf.member

Thanks all for your replies, you have helped immensely :-)
Old 15-03-2018, 23:46   #7
Arty2K16
cf.member

EDIT:

Right just to update you all, in the end I opted for the TP-Link TL-SG108E 8 port gigabit Easy Smart Switch as no store around my town had any Netgear ones..
It didn't quite go as smoothly as I expected, as the default IP address of it is the same as the Shub, and after a bit of playing around with the included Easy Smart Configuration Utility, I was able to successfully change the tp-link's IP to 192.168.0.24 (which is the last IP address in the pool), rebooted and it all works perfectly, even managed to update its firmware too! Only downside I have found is that it didn't come with even a short patch lead, so I will have to purchase a permanent lead for it :-)

Thanks all for listening!
Arty.