Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 12:31   #2626
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Coronavirus

Here's the full list:

Quote:
Quote from BBC News:

The checklist to become an NHS vaccinator:

Recognising and managing anaphylaxis
Resuscitation, level 2
Safeguarding adults, level 2
Safeguarding children, level 2
Vaccine administration
Vaccine storage
Health, Safety and Welfare, level 1
Infection Prevention and control, level 2
Introduction to Anaphylaxis
Legal aspects of vaccination
Moving and Handling, level 1
Preventing radicalisation, level 1
Conflict resolution, level 1
Core knowledge for Covid-19 vaccinators
Covid mRNA vaccine BNT162b2 (Pfizer BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine)
Data security awareness, level 1
Equality, Diversity and Human rights, level 1
Fire safety, level 1
Obviously the medical stuff is important but fire safety?
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2021, 12:33   #2627
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Here's a good article on which countries have responded best to the pandemic. Only two are in Asia.
Crushing the curve: New Zealand
Best early action: Taiwan
Best testing: South Korea
Public communication: Finland
Economic protection: Denmark
Best vaccination: Israel
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status...153536/photo/1
Old 06-01-2021, 12:59   #2628
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Here's the full list:

Bit different from schooldays then it was

1 sleeve up

2 shut up

3 get out
Next
Old 06-01-2021, 13:09   #2629
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Here's the full list:

anything other than medical training is totally superfluous
Old 06-01-2021, 13:21   #2630
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You can't be "a month late" approving a process simply because other authorities covering other areas approved it sooner - potentially with a different threshold for authorisation.

France are clear making a hash of it but that doesn't make us "successful" and the more we spend looking down on them the longer our government get away with not taking up to the (I think) 2.34 million a week Boris needs for his latest bombastic target.

Unless of course those pesky Civil Servants are at it again...
There can be quite big differences in the approval processes for drugs in different countries (and blocs of countries)

For example, the FDA (USA) assesses the efficacy and safety of a drug alongside the permitted prescribing information (who can have the drug, what conditions mean you can't and how the drug should be administered as examples) The EMA in contrast has a stepwise process where safety and efficacy are assessed first, then the marketing information. In another example, the EMA look for and do a lot more risk assessments than the FDA ('based on the known science and what limited trial information we have, is this drug safe for patients with disease x, y or z')

The EMA uses local country assessors for drugs alongside their central assessors to ensure that their decisions are compatible with local regulations and guidelines. This of course will slow approval but the advantage is there is a single market for drugs so they can be targeted to the regions of greatest need (if you like that kind of thing) With the MHRA, this 'cross-approval' wasn't needed, hence the faster approval.

There are moves to create a global standard of drug approval so the information package the pharma companies need to provide is constant (https://www.ich.org/) but this has been going on for years with only limited success
Old 06-01-2021, 13:52   #2631
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Now now, you little stirrer.

As you we were ahead as we had a rolling assessment and approval process, nothing to do with any lesser thresholds......

However, success should be celebrated, because we both know if the shoe was on the other foot oooooh, the headlines, the failure, Brexit, the incompetence.......
Were we ahead though? As far as I can tell ours is for emergency use and could be withdrawn at any time. The European authorisation appears more comprehensive to me as it doesn't appear to describe it as emergency use. I think for example our 'emergency use' exempts manufacturers from liability - I'm not sure that's the case for the EU authorisation.

I'm sure neither you nor I know the detailed process of going through authorisation - therefore it's an assumption to believe our process is better because it's British - I know it's the default position for many on the forum but I tend to take a more cynical view.

Success should indeed be celebrated, however token administrative processes aren't my benchmark unfortunately. Getting to 2 million vaccinated a week in timely fashion, I'm sure you would agree, would be success.

Last edited by jfman; 06-01-2021 at 14:18.
Old 06-01-2021, 14:01   #2632
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
anything other than medical training is totally superfluous
I quite agree, however the nature of some people to make a claim for anything nowadays has given rise to this ridiculous situation where all bases need to be covered by being 'trained' in some really obscure and often unrelated areas.
Old 06-01-2021, 15:50   #2633
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I thought this headline was a joke when I read it. I don't think this is a particularly serious violation so am sharing it for humour value.

Jacob Rees-Mogg under fire for ‘crossing tiers to attend Latin mass in Glastonbury’
Old 06-01-2021, 16:05   #2634
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Were we ahead though? As far as I can tell ours is for emergency use and could be withdrawn at any time. The European authorisation appears more comprehensive to me as it doesn't appear to describe it as emergency use. I think for example our 'emergency use' exempts manufacturers from liability - I'm not sure that's the case for the EU authorisation.
A lot of countries' governments take on the liability for vaccine injury. In the UK, the Vaccine Damage Scheme in includes;
  • coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • diphtheria
  • haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • human papillomavirus
  • influenza, except for influenza caused by a pandemic influenza virus
  • measles
  • meningococcal group B (meningitis B)
  • meningococcal group C (meningitis C)
  • meningococcal group W (meningitis W)
  • mumps
  • pandemic influenza A (H1N1) 2009 (swine flu) - up to 31 August 2010
  • pertussis (whooping cough)
  • pneumococcal infection
  • poliomyelitis
  • rotavirus
  • rubella (German measles)
  • smallpox - up to 1 August 1971
  • tetanus
  • tuberculosis (TB)

It kind of makes sense that Governments take on the liability as vaccines are a public health issue, giving drugs to those who are well with a risk of making the patient sick rather than the more common other way round. It's a particularly good idea in countries where immunisation is compulsory
Old 06-01-2021, 16:06   #2635
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Here's the full list:

About to change.

Quote:
Speaking on the Today programme on 4 January, Matt Hancock said that he would remove some of the requirements, including preventing radicalisation training. “At the moment the NHS has all the people that it needs to deliver the vaccine on the current schedule, but is also hiring people, including some retired clinicians, in order to have yet more when the delivery ramps up in the months ahead,” he said. “Some of the training that has been put in place I don’t think is necessary.”

Hancock said he would go through the training requirements for vaccinators “line by line” to check that only what was necessary was included “because training for this role is very important—this is an important, sensitive job—but is not gold plated.”
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n13
Old 06-01-2021, 16:13   #2636
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I thought this headline was a joke when I read it. I don't think this is a particularly serious violation so am sharing it for humour value.

Jacob Rees-Mogg under fire for ‘crossing tiers to attend Latin mass in Glastonbury’
If you’re going to follow Rome you might as well do it right.
Old 06-01-2021, 16:14   #2637
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

I dont think he broke any laws, just guidence.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 06-01-2021, 16:14   #2638
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
A lot of countries' governments take on the liability for vaccine injury. In the UK, the Vaccine Damage Scheme in includes

It kind of makes sense that Governments take on the liability as vaccines are a public health issue, giving drugs to those who are well with a risk of making the patient sick rather than the more common other way round. It's a particularly good idea in countries where immunisation is compulsory
I’m simply pointing out the authorisations aren’t necessarily equivalent.
Old 06-01-2021, 17:19   #2639
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Bit different from schooldays then it was

1 sleeve up

2 shut up

3 get out
Next
... and "Cough". I'm back, btw.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 06-01-2021, 17:32   #2640
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I dont think he broke any laws, just guidence.
I'm not sure that's justification.

A lot of the restrictions are of guidance as opposed to law (country dependent) but the public are expected to follow. them. Ergo, it's a bit rich asking and expecting the public to follow when you have politicians, 'celebrities' * sports people openly flaunting......

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

62,322 cases
1,041 deaths (within 28 days of a positive test)
>30,000 people in hospital

Those figures make for very unpleasant reading