Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Old 30-12-2020, 18:11   #481
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

For some strange reason when I upgraded to Oomph last year they sent me a V6 box and a Tivo box which we have upstairs, which is way to big for the shelf it is on. Hopefully will be offered this upgrade a get a minibox upstairs instead.
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2020, 21:21   #482
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
For some strange reason when I upgraded to Oomph last year they sent me a V6 box and a Tivo box which we have upstairs, which is way to big for the shelf it is on. Hopefully will be offered this upgrade a get a minibox upstairs instead.
Sounds more like a downgrade, getting a box with no hard drive.
I use Tivo as my main box and the less obtrusive
v6 upstairs ( quietly tucked away in a drawer). Can access recordings from either box. Tv360 is a backwards step, a snazzy epg isn't enough. New isn't always better.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 10:29   #483
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Sounds more like a downgrade, getting a box with no hard drive.
I use Tivo as my main box and the less obtrusive
v6 upstairs ( quietly tucked away in a drawer). Can access recordings from either box. Tv360 is a backwards step, a snazzy epg isn't enough. New isn't always better.
I'm sure TV360 will improve and become superior to Tivo. But for now, it looks one for the early adopters.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 11:07   #484
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm sure TV360 will improve and become superior to Tivo. But for now, it looks one for the early adopters.
It has to improve a awful lot to do that Andrew.
Old 31-12-2020, 11:16   #485
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I doubt that, especially since the Horizon software is already, at least, two years old and on its 28th release.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:48   #486
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

360 / Horizon updates are done in a different way to TiVo.

There are regular updates made for the 360 box throughout the year, rather than one or two updates per year that TiVo has.

Having 360 on a .28 release doesn't mean that there have been 28 lots of things to fix, just that there have been 28 sets of updates since version 4.00. Some of those will have been fixes to existing features, some updates will have introduced new features.
Old 31-12-2020, 12:48   #487
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It has to improve a awful lot to do that Andrew.
Works fine for me, I don't record masses of programmes ( the wife does that). I don't worry about series links, reminders etc, etc. I like the layout now I have become used to it and the speed difference is quite marked.

I do use the voice control for one or two things such as turning sub titles on and off which can require up to 6 button presses with TV360.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:51   #488
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
Works fine for me, I don't record masses of programmes ( the wife does that). I don't worry about series links, reminders etc, etc. I like the layout now I have become used to it and the speed difference is quite marked.

I do use the voice control for one or two things such as turning sub titles on and off which can require up to 6 button presses with TV360.
Each to their own Jim as it will obviously suit some customers needs perfectly but l cannot say it does it for me.
Old 31-12-2020, 13:30   #489
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

What else can the voice control on V360 do?.. I've seen subtitles mentioned, but this is one-button press on the V6 (and the same on my One4all)
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 13:47   #490
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
What else can the voice control on V360 do?.. I've seen subtitles mentioned, but this is one-button press on the V6 (and the same on my One4all)
Not tried voice control for everything but you can select a channel by name or number, say Home, Apps instead of having to press the Home button then four presses to scroll across to Apps.

Doesn't recognise Pause yet, still playing around with it tbh.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 14:28   #491
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

I've had the 360 software on my two V6 boxes for a few weeks now and I'm rather enjoying it. True, it's missing a few features compared with the former V6 UI but, with the exception of the All4 app, those features were ones I seldom used. I'm sure they will be added soon. It looks a whole lot better, too.

It's clear that many - if not most - people on this forum watch far more television than I do but so far the 360 software does everything I want and does it well. Initially, I thought the voice control was a bit of a gimmick but I'm now a convert. It's actually a quick and powerful way of navigating around the UI and works surprisingly well.

The switchover itself was fast and without problems and the new interface is slick, quick and responsive. I also prefer the new remote with its backlight. Not quite a thumbs up (yet) but certainly not a thumbs down either. Be interesting to see what the next update brings.

Happy new year all.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 15:14   #492
robjw
cf.member

robjw can only hope to improve

Just a quick data point. I'm a relatively new Ultimate Oomph customer and had 2 V6 boxes installed less than a month ago. I upgraded online to 360. This was unsolicited, I just followed the link that's floating around. The order said I'd be sent two new 360 boxes. However, a small box with 2 new remotes showed up a couple of days ago, along with the upgrade option on the V6 home screen.

It all seems to be working well, and amazingly fixed an issue where the box in the living room refused to output 4K to my TV. That now works perfectly.
robjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 20:44   #493
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

why did no one mention the remote lights up when you life it up! almost worth the money alone saying that im quite happy with the setup but then again I was given ultimate oomph for less than i was paying for only one box, so i haven't lost recording abilities etc

voice is very handy, setup the boxes okay, so far no major issues.
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 16:31   #494
Cheile48
cf.member

Services: Mega Volt bundle, 2 V6s, and Freeview HD, Amazon Prime, Google Chromecast/Google TV, Netflix.
Cheile48 is on a distinguished roadCheile48 is on a distinguished road

Apologies if this question has already been answered but I can't see anything so far on this thread. I have two V6 boxes and at the moment I only want to upgrade one box to TV 360. Is this possible, and if so, how do I go about getting this done?
Cheile48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 16:44   #495
lonespeaker
cf.member

lonespeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheile48 View Post
Apologies if this question has already been answered but I can't see anything so far on this thread. I have two V6 boxes and at the moment I only want to upgrade one box to TV 360. Is this possible, and if so, how do I go about getting this done?
You cannot have 2 boxes with different software. They need to be both tivo or tv 360.

If you are on the Ultimate Oomph package you can request an upgrade in myvirginmedia.com
lonespeaker is offline   Reply With Quote