Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Doctor Who

Old 03-02-2020, 10:28   #511
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Doctor Who

I don't get why some people keep sayings it's preachy and PC, or there is agendas.

It was an alien virus that just happened to use plastic to spread. Not that different to the Nestene/Autons.

Also a gay couple, no problem with that.

I enjoyed it as I always do, I am just watching a fun sci-fi show.
Old 03-02-2020, 14:13   #512
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Just in case you missed the last lecture, they rammed it in again this week.

Oh, and just to tick another PC box, the married couple were of course both male.

Its getting very tiresome now.
I hope they were of different ethnicity too,otherwise that wouldn't be diverse enough.
Old 03-02-2020, 15:05   #513
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Oh, and just to tick another PC box, the married couple were of course both male.

Well, I've enjoyed the new series of Doctor Who, far more than I have any series since David Tennant left. I've enjoyed them all, but this one the most.

Personally, where they do include couples, I have no problem with those couples being gay. I think that Dr Who has just about got the balance right this series. The fact the couple in last night's episode were gay wasn't a thing itself, they just were. As Grace and Graham (Bradley Walsh's character) were treated as just a couple, without fanfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Got bored with it towards the end of David Tenants run, interest was piqued mildly when John Hurt was in it but that soon dissipated and not really watched it since, doesn't sound like I've missed much, I thought the show in desperate need of a hiatus years ago and now by the sounds of it needs to be put out of it's misery
Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean others don't. I hate Mrs Brown's Boys, but that doesn't mean I am calling for it to be axed and replaced with a decent comedy.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Actually, seeing all these moans reminds me of what was apparently Viz's first letter, which just moaned the magazine wasn't as good as it used to be.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 22:08   #514
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Quote:
RANI: Would PHB or PES do?
DOCTOR: What?
RANI: I asked you a question!
DOCTOR: Did you? Mel, there's something caged in there.
RANI: Yes, I dare say. Would PHB or PES do?
DOCTOR: Eh?
RANI: As a suitable material for the machine.
DOCTOR: Oh, yes. PHB. It's biodegradable. We don't want to litter up Lakertya with non-destructible waste like they're doing on your planet, Mel.
RANI: What are you looking for?
DOCTOR: Sugar and starch. We can ferment our own.
RANI: You won't find it there. What about the alternative?
DOCTOR: PES? No, not so good. It's a petroleum based plastic.

Time and the Rani, 1987
Quote:
DOCTOR: No, no, no!
BRIGADIER: But, Doctor, it's exactly your cup of tea. This fellow's bright green apparently, and dead.
DOCTOR: Lethbridge Stewart, I'm not a policeman. Neither are you, for that matter.
BRIGADIER: Ah, but there are international implications, you see. Possibility of sabotage at Global Chemicals. It's UNIT's duty to protect them. My duty.
DOCTOR: Then do your duty, Brigadier.
BRIGADIER: But, Doctor, surely you must see the
(Jo enters carrying a bag and wearing a white sheepskin trimmed coat.)
BRIGADIER: Ah, Miss Grant, I've a little job for you. I want you to
JO: I'm sorry, Brigadier, I can't.
BRIGADIER: Can't? Can I remind you, Miss Grant, that you are
JO: That I am a member of UNIT. Orders, court martials and all that. But unless you arrest me, I mean, unless you actually seize me and fling me into a dungeon, I
DOCTOR: Ah, Jo, all ready?
JO: Oh dear. Doctor, I mean it. I'm going to go to South Wales because they have got to be stopped.
BRIGADIER: Who's got to be stopped?
JO: Well, Global Chemicals, of course. Can't you see the harm this go ahead will do?
BRIGADIER: No, Miss Grant, I can't. Cheap petrol and lots of it. Exactly what the world needs.
JO: No! No, look it's time to call a halt! It's time that the world awoke to the alarm bell of pollution instead of sliding down the slippery slopes of, of, of, whatever it is.
DOCTOR: A very pretty mixed metaphor.
BRIGADIER: Yes, I seem to recognise the style. This fellow, Jones, isn't it? The Nutcake Professor, isn't that what the papers call him?
JO: That doesn't make him wrong, does it.
BRIGADIER: And you want to go down there to help him in his noble fight against the windmills, down to Llanfairfach.
JO: I'm sorry, Brigadier. I'm going to go even if it means resigning from UNIT.

The Green Death, 1973.
Quote:
DOCTOR: Brigadier, Brigadier! Have you brought me two hundred and seventy million miles just to sort out a little trouble at sea?
BRIGADIER: Three serious disasters, Doctor!
DOCTOR: When I left the psionic beam with you, Brigadier, I said it was only to be used in an emergency.
BRIGADIER: This is an emergency.
DOCTOR: Oil an emergency? Huh! It's about time the people who run this planet of yours realised that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense. Now, the energising of hydrogen ...

Terror of the Zygons, 1975
Doctor Who’s interest in topical environmental issues is just about as old as the show itself. It really is nothing new.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 20:31   #515
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a30727...3B17631C089284
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:35   #516
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Doctor Who’s interest in topical environmental issues is just about as old as the show itself. It really is nothing new.
Three examples across 15 years ..... and pretty tame at that.
Blink and you would miss two of them, and the other was throwaway lines about Jo leaving, not the subject of the episode.
That as opposed to multiple episodes in one season (and bluntly rammed down your throat multiple times, lecture style).

---------- Post added at 02:35 ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Seriously ? So it's ok to kill a character now, as long as they are not gay ?
Quote:
While it's vital that queer characters are treated like any other, it's damaging to see underrepresented groups killed off disproportionately ..
Doctor Who kills characters all the time, and no one cares (Daleks are really good at it). Kill one gay and suddenly its disproportionate. FFS.

[.. and I guess all these twitter idiots have completely forgotten how the show made Captain Jack Immortal ]

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 15:12   #517
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Three examples across 15 years ..... and pretty tame at that.
Blink and you would miss two of them, and the other was throwaway lines about Jo leaving, not the subject of the episode.
That as opposed to multiple episodes in one season (and bluntly rammed down your throat multiple times, lecture style)
Three examples off the top of my head, that I could remember without doing any looking up. Pretty sure I could find plenty more, especially from the Pertwee era which was famous for it. Incidentally, the Green Death dialogue is from the beginning of part one, not Jo’s exit scene - the environmental debate was part and parcel of the entire story, and did indeed play its part in her decision to leave.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 22:47   #518
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Also it's not as if it's only Doctor Who which does this. I think people notice it more in the recent Doctor Who episodes but messages within storytelling have always existed. People use the art of a certain time as a way to explore the period.

I think it's easier to spot it in scientific fiction because the created world makes it's more obvious when the writer has made an intentional choice of what to include in it. If they've created a society which has a class system for example it's clear the writer did that intentionally rather than it being a mere accident of the location it's set. It also gives the writer more scope to explore whatever issue they want since they're less limited.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 19:40   #519
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Seriously ? So it's ok to kill a character now, as long as they are not gay ?
It is gender discrimination and a protected characteristic so if you are gay it means everyone can die as long as it is not you
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 21:09   #520
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

It's all got too complicated, Daleks exterminating everyone I could understand. I sort of see where they were coming from now...
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 22:24   #521
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It is gender discrimination and a protected characteristic so if you are gay it means everyone can die as long as it is not you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3E7D5CA-D926-4CFE-B2C2-6D1061449A8E.jpg (122.2 KB, 8 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 17:38   #522
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I was being sarcastic. It was the best thing I could come up with because I couldn't find all the posts to quote where Paul said "you moan a lot" and "if you don't like don't watch it"
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:32   #523
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Perhaps because they dont exist ....

.. and this weeks lesson was ?
(not that hard a question, they even gave the phone number out at the end, just in case you were not paying attention at all )

Old 23-02-2020, 22:59   #524
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

At last, a decent episode, not trying to be Preachy or PC.

Still confused what the side story with the policeman is about, but even so, a good entertaining episode, lets hope the final one is as good.

Old 23-02-2020, 23:48   #525
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

That was proper edge of the seat stuff there.

I have a feeling that the Irish folk will be or something to do with the timeless children and they are either the origins of the Timelords, or at least where the Timelords, learned about regeneration from. The 4th and 10th doctors both joked about Gallifrey being in Ireland.

The Cybermen are finally scary again.