Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dynamic EPG

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Dynamic EPG

Old 16-06-2012, 11:41   #1
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Dynamic EPG

I know, historically, VM has not supported a dynamic EPG..

Just after 10pm last night, we were watching BBC News channel on 601, scrolled on the miniguide and set BBC1 "News at Ten" to record, and our local news at 10.25pm.

Noticed a few minutes later that the record light had not come on, so checked the guide and planned recordings. The listings had been updated, and "the ten" was now showing as starting at 10.10pm and finishing at 10.35pm, local news 10.35pm-10.45pm, all the subsequent programs also pushed back by 10minutes. The planned recordings all reflected the late running, and recorded accordingly.

Have VM introduced dynamic EPG?
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2012, 23:31   #2
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
Re: Dynamic EPG

I've noticed similar.
The recordings I plan in most cases start from the channel's on screen EPG followed by the sponsorship ad then program.
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 10:52   #3
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

I'd suggest that people wait until the second week of Wimbledon before confirming whether VM has finally introduced a dynamic EPG, and if so it will be interesting to see if it has been made available to all customers rather than just to those who pay for Tivo.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 22:02   #4
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Probably related to this, I have noticed the occasional random gap in the V+ 7day listings, where the schedule will show "no programme information".

A current example is Tuesday 26th on Ch142 & 143, after 10pm. I actually want to set a series link that should be in this hole, so am waiting for this particular gap to be filled :-)
Old 25-06-2012, 15:14   #5
VirginMediaPhil
cf.addict

Services: 2x TiVo
VirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud of

Well, it didn't work on Family Guy last night.
VirginMediaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 15:33   #6
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

The Epg was out after the football last night, so it is safe to assume that the EPG is still not dynamic.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 15:35   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
The Epg was out after the football last night, so it is safe to assume that the EPG is still not dynamic.
Absolutely correct but l am sure it will arrive in good time.
Old 25-06-2012, 16:51   #8
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Probably only on Tivo boxes though, V+HD boxes seem to be losing services all over the place and Tivo getting them all. Makes me more stubborn to not change over, I'm afraid. I like being the last person to switch to things.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 17:44   #9
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Providing we have the option to turn it on or off, I don't mind. Not being able to turn it off, as I seem recall it was reported that a mod on the VM Tivo forum had said, could lead to potential recording dissasters.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 17:45   #10
japitts
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well, maybe it's being trialled. It didn't work last night admittedly... but it certainly worked the week before. I guess Wimbledon fortnight will be a test.

Stating the obvious too, I guess it takes two to tango. Broadcaster to supply the data, and VM to implement it in real-time.
Old 25-06-2012, 17:49   #11
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Probably only on Tivo boxes though, V+HD boxes seem to be losing services all over the place and Tivo getting them all. Makes me more stubborn to not change over, I'm afraid. I like being the last person to switch to things.
Eventually VM will probably want to get rid of V+HD completely. And you will probably be able to get the Tivo without paying any extra.

Just say to VM that you would rather keep your box, and they should give you the Tivo free as a sweetner. But the Tivo is far better anyway.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Maybe a member of VM staff could tell us what is happening.

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Well, maybe it's being trialled. It didn't work last night admittedly... but it certainly worked the week before. I guess Wimbledon fortnight will be a test.

Stating the obvious too, I guess it takes two to tango. Broadcaster to supply the data, and VM to implement it in real-time.
Haven't the broadcasters been supplying the data for years? Remember Video Plus?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 17:55   #12
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

I set my v+ up to recorded my program's and half the time it misses the start so I extended my rec to 10 mins to start rec and it never does starts dead on the time it's ment 2 start
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 19:30   #13
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I agree, the Tivo does sound better than V+, but I am one of those who has to be slowly converted to things. Don't like change to routine, and things I am used to.

But I will probably wait until nearer my birthday and call to see if they can do me a deal for my birthday.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 23:09   #14
japitts
cf.geek

Sorry to bump an old thread..

Tonight I had BBC News 22:05-22:20 & regional news immediately after - set to record. It soon became apparent that SPOTY was running seriously late, and just after 22:05 the EPG hadn't changed, so set the 22:30 MOTD to record just to catch that timeslot.

I noticed just before half past, that the EPG had updated with late-running times and the revised versions of network and regional news both showing set to record, but the *original* timings showing as planned/actual recordings.

The weird bit.. I cancelled MOTD2 recording a few minutes after it had started, but a long time before the revised timing was due to start. V+ didn't put this into the recordings list as "actual recording" as it had done with the other two.

So V+ definitely has dynamic EPG, but recording wasn't totally seamless. And I've got a 10minute recording that's black-holed somewhere.
Old 17-12-2012, 10:01   #15
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

I dont see a Dynamic EPG coming to Vm anytime soon
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote