Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All folders empty on network PC?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

All folders empty on network PC?

Old 08-06-2018, 16:03   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
All folders empty on network PC?

I have two PC's on my home network that worked perfectly well with Windows 10 v1709 using Homegroup, I could view and edit files on both PC's.

Due to major problems with the Win 10 update on the laptop it was rolled back to v1709 until a couple of days ago.
We also had a new Hub3 fitted last week.

Retried the Win 10 v1803 update manually on the laptop and this time it seems so far to be working fine but still having problems getting the PC's to network correctly.

I solved the 'Network credentials ' problem by switching off password protected sharing on both PC's.

From my desktop I can now see the laptop on the network but when I click on the icon and then click on Users all I can see is a faded Default folder and a desktop.ini. Clicking on the Default folder shows a list of ten folders Docs, Pics etc but the are all empty???

Any suggestions?

Jim.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2018, 20:47   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: All folders empty on network PC?

It might be a rights issue.
Old 11-06-2018, 21:08   #3
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Been away a couple of days so only just got back to trying to sort it.
The frustrating thing is that six months ago using Homegroup it took a matter of minutes to set up and has worked seamlessly until the latest Win 10 update.

Did a bit more poking around and thought I had cracked it as I found the laptops network profile had somehow been reset to Public, I changed it back to Private but it has made no difference.

I can see the laptop on my desktop but not access any files, the laptop cannot see the desktop or itself either but can see the wireless printer.
Old 11-06-2018, 22:26   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Are the PCs both using the same group?

Why not buy a NAS drive and put file that are needed by both PCs on there?
Old 11-06-2018, 23:11   #5
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Pardon my ignorance but you lost me there.
Old 15-06-2018, 13:42   #6
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Things have moved on a little.

It wouldn't justify getting a NAS drive for the use we give it.

Things have changed though.

I can now see the laptop on the desktop and access all files and folders perfectly.

The laptop however still cannot see itself or the desktop but can see all the other network devices such as printer, TV, router, CCTV pvr.

I have double, double checked all of the settings and permissions and even used the Network Reset option to no avail.

Still it's progress of a kind.
Old 15-06-2018, 17:50   #7
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

And a little more progress, using this info .

Push Win Key and type "Services", locate those services, start them and set Start type to Automatic (Delayed Start).

Services are:
- Function Discovery Provider Host
- Function Discovery Resource Publication
- SSDP Discovery
- UPnP Device Host

The laptop can now see itself on the network but still does not see the desktop PC.

Almost there though.
Old 16-06-2018, 11:55   #8
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

And breath.

Finally got the darned thing sorted, mainly through following the instructions.

HERE

At my tender age it really is satisfying to eventually crack something like this without anyone else touching the keys.

Jim.
Old 16-06-2018, 12:41   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
And breath.

Finally got the darned thing sorted, mainly through following the instructions.

HERE

At my tender age it really is satisfying to eventually crack something like this without anyone else touching the keys.

Jim.

Lets hope it doesn't go tits up again on the next Windows update!