Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the European Elections?
Conservative Party 3 4.92%
Labour Party 5 8.20%
Liberal Democrats 14 22.95%
Brexit Party 24 39.34%
Change UK - The Independent Group 4 6.56%
Greens 1 1.64%
SNP 1 1.64%
UKIP 1 1.64%
Other 2 3.28%
Will not be voting. 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2019, 20:09   #2191
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 200Mb Tivo STB
Posts: 4,712
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Good News. Chlorinated chicken will be coming out way soon ! Enjoy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8914621.html
Me and Mick are vegetarians, so we're alright.
You do realise the EU ban was because it is TOO GOOD at getting rid of any bugs.
Link

Quote:
It's not consuming chlorine itself that the EU is worried about - in fact in 2005 the European Food Safety Authority said that "exposure to chlorite residues arising from treated poultry carcasses would be of no safety concern". Chlorine-rinsed bagged salads are common in the UK and other countries in the EU.
But the EU believes that relying on a chlorine rinse at the end of the meat production process could be a way of compensating for poor hygiene standards - such as dirty or crowded abattoirs.
After washing it would pass any hygiene tests. No doubt it was to impose on the rest of the EU, the more expensive abattoir standards of Germany.


Quote:
A study from the University of Southampton last year found that chlorine could make food-borne pathogens undetectable, giving lower microbial counts in testing, but without actually killing them - so they might remain capable of causing disease.
Lower levels sounds good, doesn't it?


The EU alternative is "washing" with air and water. Therefore the chlorinated wash is additional. It's ruled safe by the EU, so what exactly is their problem? Other than shutting out the US.
Quote:
But the practice has been banned in the EU since 1997, where only washing with cold air or water is allowed.
The EU argues that chlorine washes could increase the risk of bacterial-based diseases such as salmonella on the grounds that dirty abattoirs with sloppy standards would rely on it as a decontaminant rather than making sure their basic hygiene protocols were up to scratch.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-05-2019, 20:19   #2192
Mr K
Lefty Liberal Remoaner
 
Mr K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a goldfish
Posts: 4,877
Mr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appeal
Mr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appealMr K has a bronzed appeal
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
You do realise the EU ban was because it is TOO GOOD at getting rid of any bugs.
Link

After washing it would pass any hygiene tests. No doubt it was to impose on the rest of the EU, the more expensive abattoir standards of Germany.


Lower levels sounds good, doesn't it?


The EU alternative is "washing" with air and water. Therefore the chlorinated wash is additional. It's ruled safe by the EU, so what exactly is their problem? Other than shutting out the US.
The only reason the US need to chlorinate their chicken is because their hygiene standards are inferior to the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...al-agriculture
Quote:
Agriculture in the US remains quite backward in many respects. It retains a position of resisting more information on labels to limit consumer knowledge and engagement. Its livestock sectors often suffer from poor husbandry, which leads to more prevalence of disease and a greater reliance on antibiotics. Whereas we have a “farm to fork” approach to managing disease and contamination risk throughout the supply chain through good husbandry, the US is more inclined to simply treat contamination of its meat at the end with a chlorine or similar wash.
However its irrelevant to me, enjoy !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 20:32   #2193
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 8,790
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Yes we said that about the Euro. Done a lot better than the pound over the last 3 years.

It's strange Brexiteers seem desperate for the EU to fail. In or out of the EU they are our largest trading partner, so it would directly affect us. Don't expect that bloke, who can't be mentioned, from over the pond to do us any favours. He along with Putin would be happy for the EU to break up. United we stand, divided we fall.
The pound has faltered owing to the uncertainty, that is all. It will rise again post Brexit.

I am a Brexiteer but I don't want the EU to fail.But it's because I know it will, due to the sheer inefficiency and mismanagement of Le Project, it is better to be out of it when the fallout spreads.

As Mick says, our trade with the EU will continue beyond Brexit, and our opportunities in the bigger world are vast. Your pessimism doesn't change those facts. Look again.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
We haven't being doing well in recent times for some reason. Our growth was temporarily boosted in the last quarter thanks to all our stockpiling for a Brexit that didn't happen !
Canada's the place to emigrate to if they let us in and don't get paranoid about immigration....
Canada, you say? You mean that country that just arranged that trade deal with the EU without being a member of it?


---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
You keep calling it the corrupt EU, is nowhere else corrupt that we would be trading with outside the EU?
Oh yes, probably. But at least we wouldn't be IN it - just trading with it.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Good News. Chlorinated chicken will be coming out way soon ! Enjoy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8914621.html
Me and Mick are vegetarians, so we're alright.
Better buy British, then, Mr K. The choice is yours. If you eat meat, of course, which you say you don't!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 15-05-2019 at 20:40.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 20:35   #2194
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 200Mb Tivo STB
Posts: 4,712
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The only reason the US need to chlorinate their chicken is because their hygiene standards are inferior to the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...al-agriculture


However its irrelevant to me, enjoy !
As your post pointed out.

Quote:
the US is more inclined to simply treat contamination of its meat at the end with a chlorine or similar wash.
Why is a chlorinated wash ok for salads? IE includes vegetarians.


Doesn't mean standards in the US are necessarily worse.


Germany has a habit of imposing it's own more expensive standards on the rest of the EU, in order to stop others having an economic advantage. All to do with maintaining the "level-playing field", as with the conditions the EU is still trying to impose on the UK, post-Brexit.
Quote:
With a view to ensuring the maintenance of the level playing
field conditions
required for the proper functioning of this paragraph, the provisions set out in
Annex 4 to this Protocol shall apply.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 21:13   #2195
TheDaddy
cf.mega pornstar
 
TheDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,190
TheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver bling
TheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver blingTheDaddy has a lot of silver bling
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The pound has faltered owing to the uncertainty, that is all. It will rise again post Brexit.

I am a Brexiteer but I don't want the EU to fail.But it's because I know it will, due to the sheer inefficiency and mismanagement of Le Project, it is better to be out of it when the fallout spreads.

As Mick says, our trade with the EU will continue beyond Brexit, and our opportunities in the bigger world are vast. Your pessimism doesn't change those facts. Look again.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------



Canada, you say? You mean that country that just arranged that trade deal with the EU without being a member of it?


---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------



Oh yes, probably. But at least we wouldn't be IN it - just trading with it.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------



Better buy British, then, Mr K. The choice is yours. If you eat meat, of course, which you say you don't!
There won't be a choice to buy British when we leave, Patrick Minford has already said agriculture and manufacturing will have to be sacrificed, perhaps we can go back to digging for victory
__________________
Sports Babble
TheDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 21:26   #2196
Mythica
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 435
Mythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
It’s called politics Hugh.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------



Tough. Your question was nonsensical, as we are not in any other union.
I'll try again but staying on topic.

The question wasn't nonsensical, you keep saying the EU are corrupt, but aren't other countries (including us), ones that we will be trading with also corrupt or is it just the EU because you don't like them? I know we aren't in any other union but that wasn't the point of the question.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 22:21   #2197
Mick
Proud Ex EU Citizen.
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 13,047
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I'll try again but staying on topic.

The question wasn't nonsensical, you keep saying the EU are corrupt, but aren't other countries (including us), ones that we will be trading with also corrupt or is it just the EU because you don't like them? I know we aren't in any other union but that wasn't the point of the question.
Every country has a degree of corruption - I have never advocated that there are countries which aren't (ours included).

I go on about the EU being corrupt because it is and the UK Democratically voted to leave it.

The EU way, is that they are Anti-Democratic, they have had other Member States holding important votes again and again and they want us to hold another referendum, they want us to remain but we voted out.

The EU is championing on getting rid of the "Veto" that each member has, so in other words they want to force their ways on ALL member States and cancel the veto each Member state has. Guy Verhoftstadt more or less suggested this is how the EU should be now in a TV interview just recently. They want to steal and rob sovereignty and further powers. Who the hell wants to stay aligned to this BS ?

I urge people, however they voted to go watch that BBC Documentary on Iplayer if it is still on, EU Negotiations - Behind closed doors. The EU have not acted in good faith at all towards us and Theresa May has just allowed them to piss all over us when we should have stood firm. We cannot be allowed to succeed out, they pretty much said that, so have given us a crap deal. Is this not corruption, because it is to me?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 22:40   #2198
Mythica
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 435
Mythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Every country has a degree of corruption - I have never advocated that there are countries which aren't (ours included).

I go on about the EU being corrupt because it is and the UK Democratically voted to leave it.

The EU way, is that they are Anti-Democratic, they have had other Member States holding important votes again and again and they want us to hold another referendum, they want us to remain but we voted out.

The EU is championing on getting rid of the "Veto" that each member has, so in other words they want to force their ways on ALL member States and cancel the veto each Member state has. Guy Verhoftstadt more or less suggested this is how the EU should be now in a TV interview just recently. They want to steal and rob sovereignty and further powers. Who the hell wants to stay aligned to this BS ?

I urge people, however they voted to go watch that BBC Documentary on Iplayer if it is still on, EU Negotiations - Behind closed doors. The EU have not acted in good faith at all towards us and Theresa May has just allowed them to piss all over us when we should have stood firm. We cannot be allowed to succeed out, they pretty much said that, so have given us a crap deal. Is this not corruption, because it is to me?
But will we be any better off dealing with other corrupt nations? Won't we just get shafted in other ways. We were always going to get a crap deal from them. They can't be seen to be dishing out good deals as that will make other countries go for leaving the EU. Do you believe the EU has done anything good for the UK?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 22:50   #2199
Mick
Proud Ex EU Citizen.
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 13,047
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
But will we be any better off dealing with other corrupt nations? Won't we just get shafted in other ways. We were always going to get a crap deal from them. They can't be seen to be dishing out good deals as that will make other countries go for leaving the EU. Do you believe the EU has done anything good for the UK?
No - because if a particular country shafts us - we can simply not trade with them, we cannot do that with the EU, even after we voted to leave them.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 22:56   #2200
Mythica
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 435
Mythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
No - because if a particular country shafts us - we can simply not trade with them, we cannot do that with the EU, even after we voted to leave them.
It's a big game to play based on who might or might not shaft us, especially considering they know we might be more desperate for a deal once we leave the EU. They are no more corrupted than any other union/country. And have brought plenty of benefits to our country.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 23:17   #2201
Mick
Proud Ex EU Citizen.
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 13,047
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
It's a big game to play based on who might or might not shaft us, especially considering they know we might be more desperate for a deal once we leave the EU. They are no more corrupted than any other union/country. And have brought plenty of benefits to our country.
I am sorry but I totally disagree, they are utterly corrupt and they do not provide any benefit to our country either.

They do not bring anything to this country and don't start to go on about investments, as that is our money, we give them, minus their cut, as we are a NET contributor.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 23:21   #2202
Mythica
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 435
Mythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I am sorry but I totally disagree, they are utterly corrupt and they do not provide any benefit to our country either.

They do not bring anything to this country and don't start to go on about investments, as that is our money, we give them, minus their cut, as we are a NET contributor.
So the working time directive isn't a benefit?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 23:31   #2203
Mick
Proud Ex EU Citizen.
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 13,047
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
So the working time directive isn't a benefit?
Not to me it's not, I work in the health care sector, so I am not protected as such, I would not call this a major benefit and we don't need to remain a member of the EU to keep it in UK Law.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 23:39   #2204
Mythica
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 435
Mythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation eraMythica has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Not to me it's not, I work in the health care sector, so I am not protected as such, I would not call this a major benefit and we don't need to remain a member of the EU to keep it in UK Law.
It's not just about you Mick, is it, it's about all of us. It's a huge benefit to millions of people across the UK. If we weren't part of the EU, we might have never had it to begin with.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 07:08   #2205
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁
 
Angua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Expanding Town with crap roads
Age: 59
Services: ? BB, L Digi TV, basic phone.
Posts: 7,465
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
You do realise the EU ban was because it is TOO GOOD at getting rid of any bugs.
Link

After washing it would pass any hygiene tests. No doubt it was to impose on the rest of the EU, the more expensive abattoir standards of Germany.


Lower levels sounds good, doesn't it?


The EU alternative is "washing" with air and water. Therefore the chlorinated wash is additional. It's ruled safe by the EU, so what exactly is their problem? Other than shutting out the US.
The washing is necessary for US chicken as it is a cost saver. Their inhumane system of chicken rearing is the problem that chlorine washing is trying to solve (not always successfully).
__________________
“Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That’s what sin is.”
― Terry Pratchett
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (2 members and 2 guests)
mrmistoffelees, Mr K
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:16.


Server: xenon.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.