Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 20:18   #5986
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Various sources that are fundamentally opinion pieces.

I linked only last week at how linear remains the most popular viewing type in the UK,
despite the vast, vast majority of homes never having to view television in this way if they choose to not.
You did indeed, but I don't see how that is pertinent to 2035. We are not in dispute about what is happening now. Linear TV reducing rapidly, on demand viewing increasing rapidly....
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2019, 20:20   #5987
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Besides, even the media companies themselves don't know how things will play out over the next few years, but at least it gives us something to talk about, as media has been pretty static until the rise of Netflix.

As I see things currently, with the (old) media companies, it's still usiness as usual apart from they're all trying to get bigger. They don't seem to understand how to "do" streaming yet.

Netflix has shown them how to "do" streaming, so my assumption was everyone else was going to copy them. I assumed wrong. All the old media cos are trying to replicate in the streaming world what they've always had, which is mulitple services, mulitple prices and a whole spaghetti western of third party licensing deals. Weren't we meant to be in a new age of doing things?

They shouldn't all be launching mulitple streamers each, but they are. They also should be keeping all their own new content on their own services, but it looks like in many cases, that won't be the case either. A good example is the Jack Ryan series. It's been great for Amazon, but its made by Viacom. It should be on Viacom's service.

CBS and Viacom will likely announce their re-merger on Monday (or soon afterwards) and then find someone else to join up with, so the original Hollywood Big 6 companies will probably be no more than four in the end, but they still don't seem to understand how Netflix has changed their industry or what they need to do to adapt to the new reality.

So, until they figure it out, I think we're quite entitled to debate the ins and outs of it too because no one can predict what will happen over the next few years, but we can all take take a good guess though.
They probably want to find out how to do it without $20bn of debt though.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:21   #5988
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
No actually, I don't.

If streaming content doesn't appeal that's a problem for the streamer - not the viewer. Trying to apply arguments in favour, that are fundamentally incorrect, isn't helpful to the debate.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

You have now resorted to baseless insults.

I don't know how in any capitalist system challenging you to justify your arguments based on economics and consumer behaviour is flawed.
What about justifying yours?

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

Quote:
You just cannot see beyond that, can you?
Old 10-08-2019, 20:21   #5989
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You did indeed, but I don't see how that is pertinent to 2035. We are not in dispute about what is happening now. Linear TV reducing rapidly, on demand viewing increasing rapidly....
Yes, and as I said above if you applied that logic to iPhone sales 2007-11 every single person on the planet would have bought one in 2017.

That's not how consumer behaviour works in practice.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:21   #5990
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Fundamentally people want to watch content and care little for the delivery model. It's a radical transition for the low cost streamers to take the step up - indeed as I've often pointed out Amazon made no meaningful bids in the first round of Premier League rights last time around.
Ah, back to that old chestnut again.

As said before, they're testing the waters and if the waters are warm, I think they'll jump in, but we won't know for a couple of years until various rights come up for renewal. As an aside, I noticed Amazon has yet another Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/primevideosport?lang=en-gb

I think Amazon will get very serious about sports, but we'll see.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:23   #5991
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

Yes, and as I said above if you applied that logic to iPhone sales 2007-11 every single person on the planet would have bought one in 2017.

That's not how consumer behaviour works in practice.
Except that I didn't.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:23   #5992
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You just cannot see beyond that, can you?
I fail to see how that is not pertinent - you yourself see a glorious future of multiple streaming options, consumers opting in for a month at a time, binging on content and moving on.

$20bn is a lot of £8.99s a month. Especially when they're having to heavily increase their spend on content due to the studios planning their own options and keeping their own content.

You portray this as a threat to Sky, but bizarrely not Netflix?
Old 10-08-2019, 20:23   #5993
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
As you know full well, the old media cos don't need to fuel their growth with debt, because they have massive archives of content that they can monetise in the streaming world.

Netflix doesn't have that option.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:27   #5994
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Ah, back to that old chestnut again.

As said before, they're testing the waters and if the waters are warm, I think they'll jump in, but we won't know for a couple of years until various rights come up for renewal. As an aside, I noticed Amazon has yet another Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/primevideosport?lang=en-gb

I think Amazon will get very serious about sports, but we'll see.
It's hardly an 'old chestnut'. Funding £5bn of rights and making a profit on it is a challenging task for anyone.

If you're the biggest retail company in the world that being the most effective use of £5bn in terms of a return on investment is another question altogether.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Quote:
As you know full well, the old media cos don't need to fuel their growth with debt, because they have massive archives of content that they can monetise in the streaming world.

Netflix doesn't have that option.
I do know this, which is why the incumbents aren't in as bad a position as some would portray on this forum.

Netflix on the other hand has to pay for it's content and service the debt. A higher price point than similar services will leave it a soft target in the market.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:40   #5995
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
I fail to see how that is not pertinent - you yourself see a glorious future of multiple streaming options, consumers opting in for a month at a time, binging on content and moving on.

$20bn is a lot of £8.99s a month. Especially when they're having to heavily increase their spend on content due to the studios planning their own options and keeping their own content.

You portray this as a threat to Sky, but bizarrely not Netflix?
On the maths, you work out what 151 million customers paying $10 is worth. A lot of wonga.

And I just mentioned about the studios keeping their own content and it appears that doesn't look like it will be the case according to recent interviews all the companies have done, apart from perhaps Disney. Viacom/CBS, AT&T and Comcast all seem keen on keeping some third party licensing deals in place, rather bizarrely.

That's a gamble. They get guaranteed revenues, but lose the opportunities to monetise off all their own content. But this may all change when the services actually launch.

Giving Amazon the international rights to the new Star Trek Picard show, seem bonkers to me, but that's exactly what CBS has done.

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Quote:
It's hardly an 'old chestnut'. Funding £5bn of rights and making a profit on it is a challenging task for anyone.

If you're the biggest retail company in the world that being the most effective use of £5bn in terms of a return on investment is another question altogether.
Or Apple, with their massive customer base. Or Microsoft, they seem to still have a few customers.

Quote:
I do know this, which is why the incumbents aren't in as bad a position as some would portray on this forum.

Netflix on the other hand has to pay for it's content and service the debt. A higher price point than similar services will leave it a soft target in the market.
I can't speak for what others may or may not have said, but Netflix are servicing that debt and banks are still happy to give them more. Again, 151 million customers and rising.

Disney + has zero customers because it doesn't exist yet, neither does HBO Max or the others. Netflix has a massive advantage here, can you not see that?? And if Amazon, Apple, Microsoft or even the Chinese (they're starting, Tencent bought some of Universal Music Group the other day) if these companies get serious about streaming whether it be drama or sport or everything, that is a major threat to the incumbents.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:46   #5996
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Very good post, Horizon.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:56   #5997
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And if Amazon, Apple, Microsoft or even the Chinese (they're starting, Tencent bought some of Universal Music Group the other day) if these companies get serious about streaming whether it be drama or sport or everything, that is a major threat to the incumbents.
YouTube Premium , Apple TV bet the incumbents are worried sick.
Old 10-08-2019, 20:57   #5998
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Might try it in December (using the free month offer) - assuming they don't want a card to pay for further subs which I have no intention of taking up.
They do need a card, but cancelling is very straightforward. I have no interest in streaming, but I sign up for Prime when I want free next-day delivery.
Old 10-08-2019, 21:08   #5999
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
YouTube Premium , Apple TV bet the incumbents are worried sick.
Not a chance..
Old 10-08-2019, 23:02   #6000
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
On the maths, you work out what 151 million customers paying $10 is worth. A lot of wonga.
Except it isn’t that straightforward. Sales taxes apply to that figure, and it’s not the same price in every country. In Turkey it falls to about £2.50 a month (currency fluctuations apply). Plus there’s the actual operating costs of Netflix itself.

Quote:
And I just mentioned about the studios keeping their own content and it appears that doesn't look like it will be the case according to recent interviews all the companies have done, apart from perhaps Disney. Viacom/CBS, AT&T and Comcast all seem keen on keeping some third party licensing deals in place, rather bizarrely.

That's a gamble. They get guaranteed revenues, but lose the opportunities to monetise off all their own content. But this may all change when the services actually launch.

Giving Amazon the international rights to the new Star Trek Picard show, seem bonkers to me, but that's exactly what CBS has done.

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Or Apple, with their massive customer base. Or Microsoft, they seem to still have a few customers.

I can't speak for what others may or may not have said, but Netflix are servicing that debt and banks are still happy to give them more. Again, 151 million customers and rising.
Every company that collapses services debt at some point until there’s a trigger, and creditors pull the plug. Ability to service debt in the short term does not equal ability to do so in the long term. Especially in a competitive market with an easily disposable product.

Quote:
Disney + has zero customers because it doesn't exist yet, neither does HBO Max or the others. Netflix has a massive advantage here, can you not see that?? And if Amazon, Apple, Microsoft or even the Chinese (they're starting, Tencent bought some of Universal Music Group the other day) if these companies get serious about streaming whether it be drama or sport or everything, that is a major threat to the incumbents.
And presumably a major threat to Netflix, if so?
Closed Thread