Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows 10 Desktop WiFi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows 10 Desktop WiFi

Old 26-12-2018, 07:33   #16
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Windows 10 Desktop WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post

Always remember the old adage - If it works, don't fix it.

Very wise
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-12-2018, 09:12   #17
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Thank you all for your valued comments.

BUT my HP Win 10 PC is only a few days old, has an Ethernet cable from my router connected to it and is WiFi connected to my Virgin Media wireless network together with my printer. The PC works perfectly and the printer prints from the PC as required through Wifi.

Duplication ? Almost certain.
Impossible ? Not at all, it works perfect.

I would like to remove the Ethernet connection, but after the WiFi loss and repeated unsuccessful attempts to connect back to my wireless network, I am reluctant to do this.

Always remember the old adage - If it works, don't fix it.
Remember the other old adage - KISS.

The point others are making is that you have made it unnecessarily complex, so if something does go wrong, it will be harder to fix.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 14:47   #18
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough

STOP PRESS !

I would like to apologise for any confusion, misunderstanding and erroneous remarks made on my part concerning my Wifi PC
and associated connections. I am sorry, but it has all been quite a shock after 14 years on XP to be confronted with
a brand new OS system - Win 10 and WiFi, a feature entirely new to me other than I knew it was a wireless system.

I am now clear about the relationship between WiFi and Ethernet.

My previous interpretation was wrong - you cannot have both Ethernet and WiFi connected at the same time - I now agree that it is impossible. I was wrong.

My present state is that my PC is Ethernet connected from my router/Superhub and my printer wireless connected via the
PC and router to the same network.

WiFi is exclusive to the PC itself and if I go this way, I will disconnect the Ethernet cable and connect my PC
to my wireless network. The printer will stay wireless connected to the PC and router.

Thank you all for your comments and I hope this clears the matter up and you will all forgive me for being rather a pain at times.
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 15:25   #19
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Glad you have it working the way you want.
Old 26-12-2018, 17:34   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
my printer wireless connected via the PC and router to the same network.......WiFi is exclusive to the PC itself......connect my PC.......to my wireless network. The printer will stay wireless connected to the PC and router
you are still getting your nickers in a twist dude.

1) Wifi and wireless are the same thing and are interchangeable terms.
2) The wifi capability of the PC is not exclusive to the PC as all mobile devices can connect via wifi. You should disable the wireless adaptor on your pc and only use a wired connection to the shub.
3) The router maintains your network for all devices regardless of how they connect. You need to understand that the printer and it's connection is completely independent of your PC and neither rely on one another to work. The fact that both are connecting to the shub wirelessly is immaterial. If your PC is blown up the printer will still work quite happily and any networked devices such as another laptop somewhere in the house will be able to connect to the printer and the printer will still print.
5) The printer is connected to the network via wifi to the router and that is the only thing which matters. All it cares about is the router and it doesn't matter if anything else is connected to the network, what type of devices they are or what they do. If any device wants to communicat with the printer it goes through the router.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 19:56   #21
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough

@General Maximus

"you are still getting your nickers in a twist dude. " - You think so do you ?

Well - MY PC is on Ethernet. MY printer is wireless connected to my PC. MY PC is not wireless connected, it is on Ethernet for Internet connection..

See the image. WIFI says NOT CONNECTED. THAT means the PC is NOT connected to the Internet.
Network - virginmedia0945948 says CONNECTED - the Ethernet connection, providing wireless and Internet connection.

Well dude IF Wifi and wireless are the same thing with my PC, HOW can one be NOT CONNECTED and the other CONNECTED ?

The printer is wireless connected to the PC by the router's Ethernet cable.
The PC itself is NOT configured to operate by WiFi for Internet connection. To do this, I would have to disconnect the Ethernet cable and WiFi connect the PC to the router's wireless network channel.

Last edited by beaker17; 26-12-2018 at 20:17.
Old 26-12-2018, 20:16   #22
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Your printer is connected to your router by wifi (wireless connection), then to your PC by the Ethernet connection (the cable) - it cannot connect by wifi over an Ethernet cable, that’s not how it works*...

According to your picture, the wifi connection on your network card is not connected to anything (including your printer).

*wifi = a facility allowing computers, smartphones, or other devices to connect to the Internet or communicate with one another wirelessly within a particular area.
Old 26-12-2018, 21:23   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
You think so do you ?]
oh I absolutely do and this is the last lesson I am going to give you in rudimentary networking and then you can go off and read some links

Quote:
Well - MY PC is on Ethernet. MY printer is wireless connected to my PC. MY PC is not wireless connected, it is on Ethernet for Internet connection..]
well that's funny because in previous posts you said it was connected by wifi but I will agree that it has a wired connection. The wired/Ethernet connection is not exclusively for internet access as you maintain. As I have stated previously, Ethernet/wired and wifi/wireless are just different ways devices can connect to a router. The router creates and maintains a network and if the router happens to have access to a gateway (internet access) then it can forward the traffic. The Ethernet connection your pc has to the router is to provide the pc network access whether it be to a networked printer or access to the internet.

Quote:
See the image. WIFI says NOT CONNECTED. THAT means the PC is NOT connected to the Internet.]
no it doesn't, it means the wireless adaptor on the pc (wifi) has no network connection which means it is not connected to the router and has no access to networked services including the internet. The PC is connected to the internet because it has a wired network connection which is up.

Quote:
Network - virginmedia0945948 says CONNECTED - the Ethernet connection, providing wireless and Internet connection..]
NO NO NO! Ethernet is a communication standard for WIRED cable connections and has nothing to do with wireless communication. You have two completely separate network adapters in your pc, one for wired and one for wireless. As I stated in previous posts, your wired connection takes precedence over wireless so your network connection is active on the Ethernet network adaptor connecting you to the router which is labelled as "virginmedia bla bla". If the router happens to provide access to the internet as well as other networked services (e.g. printing) then great. Your pc is not using any wireless connection and it is in no way whatsoever connected to your printer wirelessly. The list of wireless networks in your screen dump is not a list of connected networks, it is a list of networks which the wireless adaptor says are in range and can try and connect to. You are not connected to any of them until you click on one of them and then enter the necessary credentials such as network password. You have not done this which is why your network adaptor says it is not connected. The network names look similar because it is broadcasting the network name of the shub but note that the wireless network has a 2 at the end to indicate that it is the second network to have this name, the wired one being the first. You can easily avoid this confusion by logging into the shub and giving the shub one name and the wireless ssid (wireless network name) something completely different like Christmas. That way you will always be crystal clear which one you are connected to and also avoid connectivity issues in the future in case you try and connect to a neighbours router which is also called "virginmedia bla bla".

Quote:
Well dude IF Wifi and wireless are the same thing with my PC, HOW can one be NOT CONNECTED and the other CONNECTED ?
because they are the same thing and it is not connected. The wireless network adaptor is not connected to a network thus your pc is not using wifi. You have a wired Ethernet connection which is up and has nothing whatsoever to do with wireless.

Quote:
The printer is wireless connected to the PC by the router's Ethernet cable.
no it is not, the printer is not connected to the pc at all and is not using an Ethernet cable. The printer is a networked device and maintains its connection to the network via a wireless connection/wifi to the router. As stated previously, the printer does not care what is beyond the router or what other devices are connected to the router. Any device such as your pc which needs to communicate with the printer does so by sending the information to the router and router sends it on from there. It doesn't matter which device is Ethernet or wireless as long as they can connect to the router. The router manages the individual connections and makes sure each of the devices can communicate with one another.

Quote:
To do this, I would have to disconnect the Ethernet cable and WiFi connect the PC to the router's wireless network channel.
no you do not, as I have just said above, each device only has to worry about how it is going to communicate and maintain its own connection to the router. It is the routers job to manage the collective connections/network and make sure everything can talk to each other. A wired pc can print something on a wireless printer and a wifi connected tablet can print something on an Ethernet/wired connected printer. They are different types of connections which the router has to manage and allow all the networked devices talk to each other. That is what routers are for. If your want to print something on your pc your pc will send the request through it's Ethernet connection to the router, the router will then see where it needs to go to, see that the requested device is connected wirelessly and send the request over wifi. The printer does not know that the originating device (your pc) has a wired connection nor does it care.

To save your brain exploding I want you to think of this scenario. You work at the Foreign Office and your job is to service diplomatic requests from around the world. Everyday you come to work and your secretary has a pile of requests ready for you on your desk which she has typed up and are all in English in the same standardised report format which you are used to. What you don't know is that Chin Wan in China hand wrote his request in Chinese and it had to be translated, Gunter in Sweden emailed his request, Hans in the north pole sent his via morse code and that Beatrice sent hers through the post in Braille. You are completely oblivious and do not need to know. Each person had their own way of getting the information to the secretary, the secretary put it into a format which you could understand and respond to, you are going to process the request, give it back to your secretary and she is then going to make sure it gets back to the relevant person in the same way they sent it to her.

Last edited by General Maximus; 26-12-2018 at 21:45.
Old 26-12-2018, 21:23   #24
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Resolution.

I have no interest in how many times Beaker posted, what he said, whether he was right or wrong, or even in his newbie role with Win 10 and WiFi is playing with the big boys.

The PC has two means of Internet connectivity. One is by Ethernet cable which connects the PC to the routers wireless network and the other by independently (no Ethernet) tuning in (plugging in) to the routers wireless network.

Only one means of wireless connection is possible, either an Ethernet cable or a wireless network by signal, generally called WiFi, but not both.

My Ethernet connection from the router is providing an Internet connection and a wireless printer connection. Disconnect the Ethernet and there will be no Internet and no printer connection. The PC would need to be connected (plugged in) to the routers wireless network by signal for both the PC to receive Internet and the printer to be actively linked with the PC.

That is why my WiFi is currently showing "no connection", it is correct. I have an Ethernet cable connected system.

AND there is no need to be rude just because one has a million posts notched up, or list a thousand and one previous statements simply to justify a nasty comment.

Last edited by beaker17; 26-12-2018 at 21:56.
Old 26-12-2018, 21:51   #25
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

There is no excuse for rudeness, but unfortunately, frustration at not being listened to can sometimes make people seem rude.

People with technical experience are trying to help you, and you dismiss them out of hand.

Ethernet cable is not wireless, as it is a wire - wireless literally means not using a wire.

The router can be connected to in two ways - one using a Ethernet cable (wired), ond one using wifi (wireless) - you are using the terms interchangeably, and they aren’t.

Last edited by Hugh; 26-12-2018 at 21:54.
Old 27-12-2018, 08:07   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

Time for some links. It would be highly beneficial for you to have a read of:

Ethernet

Wireless

Networks

LANs/your home network
Old 27-12-2018, 10:04   #27
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Thank you again everybody for your help.

If Ethernet does not transmit a wire-less signal to my PC, how does my printer work ? The only wire to that is a power cable, but it prints by wire-less signal from my router via my PC.

Last edited by beaker17; 27-12-2018 at 10:07.
Old 27-12-2018, 10:35   #28
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thank you again everybody for your help.

If Ethernet does not transmit a wire-less signal to my PC, how does my printer work ? The only wire to that is a power cable, but it prints by wire-less signal from my router via my PC.
As you have been told several times your PC contacts the router via a wired (ethernet) connection, the router then passes on the print request to the printer via wireless.

It is the router that facilitates and manages contact between devices on your home network.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 11:05   #29
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think I understand what Beaker17 means. Ethernet does transmit the wire-less signal to the PC. It does this in the router which where it converts the signal from the wireless device into a form that can be transmitted along a cable .
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 11:17   #30
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I think I understand what Beaker17 means. Ethernet does transmit the wire-less signal to the PC. It does this in the router which where it converts the signal from the wireless device into a form that can be transmitted along a cable .
Bravo and thank you.

We are dealing with wireless, even though the PC is Ethernet connected.
The PC itself is not connected independently (no Ethernet) to a wireless network - WiFi, as WiFi is not connected - see my earlier image. But it has the wireless transmitting capabilities to communicate with my printer when the printer is "plugged in" to the PC. Wireless no cables.

The connection between my PC and printer is wireless not cabled.
My Win 10 PC is wireless enabled, my XP is not. I used to connect my printer by USB to the PC.

Last edited by beaker17; 27-12-2018 at 11:30.