Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ddos issues for gamer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Ddos issues for gamer

Old 12-11-2018, 10:55   #16
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Ddos issues for gamer

Yes auto detect should work.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2018, 12:31   #17
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

I don't have to factory reset the Superhub?
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 13:05   #18
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

No need to factory reset. It will take a while for the ASUS to obtain an IP address.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 18:31   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
No need to factory reset. It will take a while for the ASUS to obtain an IP address.
no it won't, the shub might take a few mins to boot up if it is rebooted/powered down but once it is online and connected to the VM network the Asus router will get an ip address in less than a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
I don't have to factory reset the Superhub?
no, if you reset the shub it will put it back into router mode and that is the last thing you want. When you put it in modem mode it is like starting with a blank slate and any of the settings you may have changed in router mode vanish and are no longer in effect including port forwarding and anything else. The whole point of modem mode is to allow a proper router to take over and do all the hard work and all the shub has to do is maintain a connection to the VM network for you.

Quote:
Guys when setting up my asus router with SH2 in modem mode do I just let it auto detect everything once they are connected. Only looking at the manual for Internet connection in the GUI for auto set up it has
Host name (optional) and MAC address (optional). Do I just skip this and press next?
screw auto setup, you don't know what settings it is going to preconfigure for you. The best thing you can do is go into the gui at 192.168.1.1 and do it yourself. It is self intuitive and there isn't that much to do:

Main Menu/summary page when you log in

WAN/Internet Connection
This bit is really really important and also very easy. There are 2 parts to it; setting up your external ip address from VM and configuring your dhcp servers. By default it will automatically be set to obtain ip address automatically so you do not need to change that option. The only thing you need to do in this tab is set your dns servers to the same as what I have and they are google's dns servers. If you do not know what dns servers are you can read up on it later and just trust my advice atm. Have a look here later as I have explained it in more detail for another user recently. Whenever you make any changes in any tab, even under the same section like if you were moving between internet connection and dmz for example under the WAN menu, make sure you click apply and save any changes everytime you navigate to another page otherwise you will lose those changes.

Port Forwarding
This bit is important for you because you mentioned in an earlier post that you had an Xbox or PS3. You'll probably need to forward some ports for it and this is where you do it. You also queried static ip addresses and this is the perfect example of why people need them and use them. You need your game console to have the same ip address assigned to it from the shub so the shub knows where to forward the traffic to:

LAN ip addressing scheme
This is more of an optional thing but is the first page on the LAN tab. The fields are populated by default as 192.168.1.100 and 255.255.255.0. Only change them if you understand subnetting.

DHCP server/reservation (static ips on your lan)
This is an important option for you and is another tab under the main LAN section. This is where you will set a desired address for your games console as well as all the other permanent devices on your lan such as networked printers, pcs, tablets, tvs etc. You can read all about it here because I have explained it for someone else recently. It is worth reading! By default the server will be enabled and your subnet will be populated with the ip address you specified under the lan ip tab. If I remember correctly the dns server address is also automatically carried over from the primary dns entry you set under the WAN tab. By default manual assignment is set to "no" so you'll have to change it to "yes". Any devices, wired or wireless, which are connected to your network will be displayed in the drop down menu with their mac address. You can select each device individually, type in the address you would like it to have and then click "add" and it will be added to the permanent list below the drop down box.

Wireless
Another page full of complicated options but it is really easy because they are pre-configured and you can leave them at the default. The only thing you need to do is set your ssid (network name) and password, click on "apply" and then select 5ghz in the drop down list in the first option and do the same again.

Another option I won't go in to because I have already explained it in one of the links I have provided above are guest networks. As you appear to have dodgy things going on on your network you may want to setup some guest networks when your son/children have friends round. They'll still have normal internet access but restricted lan access and you won't have to give them your normal wireless passwords, they'll have their own special ones. You'll see a separate menu option on the left for guest networks.

VPN
Quote:
I've seen some routers have built in VPN is that as good as paying monthly for one?
I wouldn't normally go into this but I am going to explain it so you don't get your knickers in a twist. Built-in VPN means the router can act as a VPN server or client, it doesn't mean you don't have to pay for anything. You can read all about VPNs at your leisure but I am going to explain the basics for you so your don't make a mistake and choose the right option.

At the moment Virgin Media is your isp and all of your internet traffic goes through your router to VM's cmts and off into VM's network to be managed and routed to wherever it needs to go and VM decide how they are going to route the traffic and what they are going to allow on their network. VPNs are used for many reasons and one of the big ones is to bypass routing restrictions. When you use a VPN you are establishing a secure connection to another server and you can think of it as a direct link or tunnel right through your router, through VM's network to the end point. For all intents and purposes the server you are connecting to is your new isp, you will get a new non-VM ip address from them and your internet traffic will go straight to them and the server will send it off from their over the VPN provider's network to where it needs to go.
This is something you are investigating and there are two options you need to think about. Do you want a vpn for one device on your network or for all the devices on your network? Most people will have a vpn setup on their PC for example so the pc can access a corporate intranet or sites which have been blocked by VM for example. The vpn and settings will be configured on the pc only and all the other devices on the network such as laptop and tablets will continue to use the internet as normal and for example use VM's dns servers if you haven't set your own.
Option 2 though, and this is what you may need to use, is setting up the vpn on the router so that all of your external internet traffic from your network goes over a vpn. This is analogous to using dhcp and setting your dns servers. Can you manually set your dns server on every single client on your network but it is an unnecessary faff and if you set it on the router then that setting is distributed to all connected clients on the network.
If you setup the router to act as the VPN client then your lan can operate as normal and the only difference is that every time something needs to go off to the internet from any connected device on your network, whether it be an email or web browsing, it is going to bypass VM, it is going to go straight to the VPN provider's server and then routed from there. This option really applies to you only if you can't setup the vpn on the client. I have never had a games console so I don't know what network options they have but I doubt they'll have vpn support.
Whether you setup the VPN on your games console or on the router you are still requesting access to a service which you are going to have to subscribe to and/or pay for. Whether the client is a pc, games console or router, you are wanting to use a VPN as asking someone to provide a service for you. The difference to you at what point in your network the tunnel starts. The "built in vpn" bit as far as the router is concerned is a bonus feature which meets your needs and just means you can setup the router as the client if you can't do it on your console or configure as a VPN server (role reversal which you don't need).

I think that is pretty much it. Any questions just ask, there are many other forum users who have got Asus routers as well who will be happy to chip in. I know it seems like a lot of information but if you know what you are doing it is literally a 5 minute job and the best bit is that once you have done you'll never need to do it again. The beauty about spending all this money on a proper router is that once it is setup that is it. You don't have to do any stupid periodic reboots like you do with the shub, worry about wireless range or performance or scratch your head when something random doesn't work. You just leave it humming away in the background and everything works perfectly. And bearing that in mind, if you ignored my advice about dns servers go back and change it to google's. DO IT NOW! That is the whole point of buying a proper router.

Last edited by General Maximus; 12-11-2018 at 18:58.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 10:36   #20
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Great information guys. Thanks a lot.
Old 13-11-2018, 15:51   #21
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Up and running. Thanks everyone. Bit of a learning curve to be DDos'd and changing hardware to cure the problem.
Old 13-11-2018, 17:26   #22
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

np, you may not appreciate it now but it was a blessing in disguise because it gave you a nudge in the right direction to buy a proper router.
Old 13-11-2018, 23:01   #23
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

I know this is probably a stupid question but I turn my devices off at night. Is there a sequence I should follow and for booting in the morning
Old 13-11-2018, 23:14   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
I turn my devices off at night
They arent supposed to be turned off. You can turn off your pc and whatever else you play with but leave tge shub and router on. If the leds bothers you put something in front of them or stick some electical tape over them.
Old 14-11-2018, 00:04   #25
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

I've always turned my SH off at night. This is because you have to access wifi off by the GUD which is a pain but I've noticed the asus has a switch on it for wifi off. The router is in the room next to my bed and I don't want to fry my brain every night
Old 14-11-2018, 00:25   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
I've always turned my SH off at night. This is because you have to access wifi off by the GUD which is a pain
well you don't have to worry about it now because it is a modem and that is it so it can stay on

Quote:
I've noticed the asus has a switch on it for wifi off.
well, I just checked because I thought you was imagining it, I have never noticed it before.

Quote:
The router is in the room next to my bed and I don't want to fry my brain every night
you are permanently frying your brain (not). I don't think you realise that you are immersed in the wireless spectrum 24/7 and you won't go anywhere during the day where traffic isn't being sent from wireless access points or from devices broadcasting and looking for hotspots. Even if I turned my router off my phone will pick up at least another 4 routers in surrounding houses it can connect to.
Old 16-11-2018, 11:12   #27
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Guys when setting up my asus router with SH2 in modem mode do I just let it auto detect everything once they are connected. Only looking at the manual for Internet connection in the GUI for auto set up it has
Host name (optional) and MAC address (optional). Do I just skip this and press next?
Yes, the ASUS should connect okay with the defaults. Once connected, you can play with the other settings to your hearts content. I would also recommend Merlin firmware for the ASUS. Many of the tweaks Merlin makes end up in the official ASUS firmware. That's how good the Merlin firmware is .....
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 22:54   #28
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I keep my kit on.

I plug a Fingbox into my network it stops devices accessing my network.

Any new devices I connect I need to approve via the app.

When I changed the router it remembered the added the kit.
Old 26-12-2018, 12:57   #29
vj531
Inactive

vj531 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just ordered one. thanx

Had an engineer in a couple of weeks back and he just wanted to swap the SH2 out for the SH3. I refused and said I will persevere with SH2.
(I have heard the terrible thing about its onboard wifi). My SH2 though has been losing 2.4ghz wifi for weeks intermittently, even after a few factory resets and countless reboots which were only temporary fixes the thing.

Sadly I've now got the engineer in on 28/12 (Friday).

I'm hoping the Asus will sort all my wifi problems.
I might ask the engineer to help me 'physically' fit it as I'm disabled, fingers crossed.
vj531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 13:23   #30
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj531 View Post
Just ordered one. thanx

Had an engineer in a couple of weeks back and he just wanted to swap the SH2 out for the SH3. I refused and said I will persevere with SH2.
(I have heard the terrible thing about its onboard wifi). My SH2 though has been losing 2.4ghz wifi for weeks intermittently, even after a few factory resets and countless reboots which were only temporary fixes the thing.

Sadly I've now got the engineer in on 28/12 (Friday).

I'm hoping the Asus will sort all my wifi problems.
I might ask the engineer to help me 'physically' fit it as I'm disabled, fingers crossed.

You should have gone for the Hub3, it is not a bad device in my opinion and the wifi is no different from the SH2 and SH2ac from my experience, it also supports 24 downstream channels.