Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 30-10-2014, 10:22   #1261
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
They cant seem to spell professional right on the header.
I've just told them.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2014, 12:51   #1262
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Well if they drop the ESA payments, I hope they also drop the requirement to pay towards council housing rent (which JSA recipients don't).

But knowing this lot, they'll just make JSA recipients start paying towards council housing rent.

Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 19:02   #1263
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
There is no time limit to where you can he in the support group as such. The work related group is for 1 year and can stop after that. I haven't heard of anyone having their money stopped without notice whilst in the support group. I can't find much info online either.
As far as I am aware you can only be in the support group for up to a maximum of 36 months based on any single assessment. You can be reassessed at any time, any number of times, during a spell in the support group.

The current system appears to be in such chaos that many offices are using ordinary CS decision makers to reassess claimants based solely on information already held.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 19:11   #1264
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
As far as I am aware you can only be in the support group for up to a maximum of 36 months based on any single assessment. You can be reassessed at any time, any number of times, during a spell in the support group.

The current system appears to be in such chaos that many offices are using ordinary CS decision makers to reassess claimants based solely on information already held.
You are correct, 3 years is the max before being reassessed, though 2 seems to be the norm. It's well know that if you're in the WRAG group income based then 6 monthly assessment is very common.

I've spent a bit of time trying to find some evidence of payments being stopped whilst in the support group for those that are due to be assessed and I still can't find anything. (Not saying it doesn't happen, just no info is available).
Old 30-10-2014, 19:19   #1265
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Wouldn't you expect your payments to stop if you didn't send / hand your renewal paperwork in?
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 19:21   #1266
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Income-related ESA is not time-limited. Similarly contributory ESA for claimants receiving the support component is not time-limited. However, contributory ESA for claimants receiving the work-related activity component is limited to a maximum of 365 days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employm...port_Allowance
Old 30-10-2014, 19:25   #1267
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
Wouldn't you expect your payments to stop if you didn't send / hand your renewal paperwork in?
Well yes, that's a given. If the DWP are lying about sending out forms then that's something else. I know I got either a letter or a telephone as a reminder that the form needs to be in so not getting either of those nor for the forms x2 seems very odd. Unless it's down to the post of course.
Old 30-10-2014, 19:27   #1268
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Well yes, that's a given. If the DWP are lying about sending out forms then that's something else. I know I got either a letter or a telephone as a reminder that the form needs to be in so not getting either of those nor for the forms x2 seems very odd. Unless it's down to the post of course.
I don't know if the DWP are lying and to be fair I doubt it - and if it was just the once then I'd have left it at that but for it to happen twice to people I know seems odd indeed.

edit - the last time I did it all I had a phone call then a letter.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 19:40   #1269
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Sadly, and wrongly. This is the way the government will make cutbacks to save money.
In the view if you can move any part of your body, walk, laugh and talk, no matter how ill you are.
You can work, for a pittance of a wage.

The government will force people back to work, this is why the unemployment's figures are going down.

I my son is disabled - through autism and Asperger. He is trying to find work but no one will employ him.

He is on countless agencies, but no one has offered him work - as they feel they cannot offer him anything.

Yes, he wants to become an actor. But he tried a scheme from the JC. And it was working for a clothing company in a shop - for NOTHING for a week. They claimed it was job experience. He was left on his own, all day.

The government always hit the sick and disabled, its cruel. And what makes me sick is that Tory voters will always back these idea's.

What we should be doing, if saying, why doesn't the government stop people coming into this country and conning the voter of this country.

I read on Monday that immigrants that come into this country, get £35.00 - WHY.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 19:50   #1270
peanut
NUTS !!

It doesn't matter what's been said, the sick / disabled is the easiest target, it's immune from any kind of scandal it causes and IDS seems to get away with everything he does.

But touch child support for those on 40k-60k oh what a different kettle of fish it is.
Old 30-10-2014, 21:36   #1271
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post

If the current rate of case reviews continues at the present level, it will take 38 years to complete.

Because they are so far behind, many new claims for ESA are being simply shoved into the Support Group and reviews are being waved through.

This, the mess that they have made of trying to introduce Universal Credit and the transference of claimants from DLA to PIP has caused them to be spending more and not less as intended on sickness/disability benefits.

I think that the reasons that they will try to cut ESA will be to simply balance the books ie making sick and disabled people pay for their mistakes. If these proposals were in place today, affected ESA recipients would receive the equivalent of JSA + 50p.

To give people an idea of the severity of these cuts, the current rates of JSA for single people are £51.75 for people aged 18 to 24 and £71.40 for those aged 25 and over.

I was part of an advisory/consultation body to the Government on welfare reform. Time and time again the Government were urged to test out new systems and take things slowly.

They ignored many of our recommendations and went ahead anyway, believing that they knew best.

Despite all these obvious problems, Ian Duncan Smith is still spouting on that Universal Credit will be introduced on time. Even DWP staff are anonymously talking to the media about a lack of training, IT systems that don't work etc.

I've never known the social security system in this country to be in such a mess.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Sadly, and wrongly. This is the way the government will make cutbacks to save money.
In the view if you can move any part of your body, walk, laugh and talk, no matter how ill you are.
You can work, for a pittance of a wage.

The government will force people back to work, this is why the unemployment's figures are going down.

I my son is disabled - through autism and Asperger. He is trying to find work but no one will employ him.

He is on countless agencies, but no one has offered him work - as they feel they cannot offer him anything.

Yes, he wants to become an actor. But he tried a scheme from the JC. And it was working for a clothing company in a shop - for NOTHING for a week. They claimed it was job experience. He was left on his own, all day.

The government always hit the sick and disabled, its cruel. And what makes me sick is that Tory voters will always back these idea's.

What we should be doing, if saying, why doesn't the government stop people coming into this country and conning the voter of this country.

I read on Monday that immigrants that come into this country, get £35.00 - WHY.
This sounds like asylum seekers. They receive the normal JSA rates, minus 40%. To these people this is still a lot of money and is paid in full by the British taxpayer as these people haven't paid anything into the system and are not allowed to work.

Whilst I agree that the social security budget has to be brought under control, I don't think that targetting the most vulnerable in our country is the right way to do it. They could make a start by stopping the sending of Child Benefit abroad to the families of EU migrants for children that have never set foot in this country.

Action should be taken to deal with families where generations have never worked and where women have child after child expecting us to pay for it. Ultimately, I believe that in the most extreme cases the Government will have to consider forced sterilisation. Such families have become an underclass who contribute nothing to society or themselves. These people give genuine benefit claimants a bad name and need to be taught that having children is a privilage and not a right.

I also believe that all immigrants should be screened for diseases that are dangerous to us and costly to the NHS. For the first time in years, the number of cases of AIDS has increased, mostly due to immigrants arriving here with the disease.

Ascertainment should also be sought as to what immigrants* are going to BRING to the UK, as opposed to how we can help them- no matter how dire their circumstances are. We are not and can never be a world social security system. *The issue of EU immigrants is problematic, unless reform or withdrawal is considered.

The Government has decided that it is not only the unemployed who should look for work, but also most sick and disabled people, their carers and lone parents with a child over school age.

Where are all these jobs going to come from, especially if immigration is not brought under control??

I believe that the Government know that there aren't the jobs for all these people and just want to reduce their benefits.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 22:01   #1272
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If the current rate of case reviews continues at the present level, it will take 38 years to complete.

Because they are so far behind, many new claims for ESA are being simply shoved into the Support Group and reviews are being waved through.

This, the mess that they have made of trying to introduce Universal Credit and the transference of claimants from DLA to PIP has caused them to be spending more and not less as intended on sickness/disability benefits.

I think that the reasons that they will try to cut ESA will be to simply balance the books ie making sick and disabled people pay for their mistakes. If these proposals were in place today, affected ESA recipients would receive the equivalent of JSA + 50p.

To give people an idea of the severity of these cuts, the current rates of JSA for single people are £51.75 for people aged 18 to 24 and £71.40 for those aged 25 and over.

I was part of an advisory/consultation body to the Government on welfare reform. Time and time again the Government were urged to test out new systems and take things slowly.

They ignored many of our recommendations and went ahead anyway, believing that they knew best.

Despite all these obvious problems, Ian Duncan Smith is still spouting on that Universal Credit will be introduced on time. Even DWP staff are anonymously talking to the media about a lack of training, IT systems that don't work etc.

I've never known the social security system in this country to be in such a mess.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

This sounds like asylum seekers. They receive the normal JSA rates, minus 40%. To these people this is still a lot of money and is paid in full by the British taxpayer as these people haven't paid anything into the system and are not allowed to work.

Whilst I agree that the social security budget has to be brought under control, I don't think that targetting the most vulnerable in our country is the right way to do it. They could make a start by stopping the sending of Child Benefit abroad to the families of EU migrants for children that have never set foot in this country.

Action should be taken to deal with families where generations have never worked and where women have child after child expecting us to pay for it. Ultimately, I believe that in the most extreme cases the Government will have to consider forced sterilisation. Such families have become an underclass who contribute nothing to society or themselves. These people give genuine benefit claimants a bad name and need to be taught that having children is a privilage and not a right.

I also believe that all immigrants should be screened for diseases that are dangerous to us and costly to the NHS. For the first time in years, the number of cases of AIDS has increased, mostly due to immigrants arriving here with the disease.

Ascertainment should also be sought as to what immigrants* are going to BRING to the UK, as opposed to how we can help them- no matter how dire their circumstances are. We are not and can never be a world social security system. *The issue of EU immigrants is problematic, unless reform or withdrawal is considered.

The Government has decided that it is not only the unemployed who should look for work, but also most sick and disabled people, their carers and lone parents with a child over school age.

Where are all these jobs going to come from, especially if immigration is not brought under control??

I believe that the Government know that there aren't the jobs for all these people and just want to reduce their benefits.
A) nice to see eugenics rearing it's ugly head again....

B) re AIDS stats - do you have a link for your assertion, as the latest National HIV Surveillance Stats show a year on year decrease in both HIV and AIDS diagnoses.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...iv-data-tables 1st spreadsheet on the page, tab ND 1A-3

HIV diagnoses have gone from 7892 in 2005 to 6000 in 2013, and AIDS diagnoses from 978 in 2005 to 319 in 2013.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 23:03   #1273
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Everybody knows that already.

a vast amount of people agree with it.
a vast amount of people would be happy that they didn't receive any money at all.

a vast amount of people don't realise just how dumb they really are.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 00:18   #1274
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
These people give genuine benefit claimants a bad name and need to be taught that having children is a privilage and not a right.
Blinking nora, Eugene.

Having children is a biological imperative, a religious observance, a human right ... take your pick of any or all of those. It is also a privilege, but not by virtue of it having been granted or withheld by the State.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 09:54   #1275
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Blinking nora, Eugene.

Having children is a biological imperative, a religious observance, a human right ... take your pick of any or all of those. It is also a privilege, but not by virtue of it having been granted or withheld by the State.
Whilst what you say is correct, what are we to do about these feckwhits who keep having kids without the private means to support them?