Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Antivirus / anti spyware / Firewall, and computer health thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion

Antivirus / anti spyware / Firewall, and computer health thread

Old 28-07-2007, 02:34   #16
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Antivirus / anti spyware / Firewall, and computer health thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Whoops! thanks for adding the link. You'll have to forgive me - one can be a bit of a slack git at times, sigh................!

Si thee
bw41101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2007, 19:39   #17
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

There is, of course, a third free anti virus - Active Virus Shield.

I've known about this for a while, but they've only just released a Vista compatible version. The footprint is OK (It runs on my virtual machine OK with only 512 MB RAM in Vista) and it's based on Kaspersky so the reliability is fine.

Oh, and you might as well see a few screenshots too.

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 13:45   #18
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

Advice please

I acquired a new machine (HP lap) that comes with Norton "3 months free" as part of the package. I have NOT, repeat NOT, activated/ registered the Norton facility in any way - and have no intention of doing so because my one experience with Norton a year or so ago was a disaster. ANYWAY I have McAfee with a licence for 3 machines as part of my home business set up so I can freely install McAfee on the laptop.

OK, there will be many who tell me McAfee is just as bad as Norton - but I have used McAfee for 6 years with no problems.

When I try to install McAfee it tells me that the machine has Norton and they will clash. It does have Norton but not "activated". McAfee does not seem to cope with that. If I try to use add/ delete programs to remove Norton the damned thing tells me I must have it running before I can delete it. BUT - I do not want to activate and run Norton.

I am sure it is not viable to simply delete all the Symantics folders from the C drive. I did try just renaming them because that sometimes fools a 'launch' option of may have fooled McAfee - but without success

Guidance form the technically minded will be appreciated

SV
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 18:00   #19
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Norton Removal Tool

Run that, and then install the package of your choice.

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 20:41   #20
DISCO_CRYPTONITE
Inactive

Services: virgin media
DISCO_CRYPTONITE is an unknown quantity at this point

The only Anti-virus i would ever use is Nod32 from Eset it has a very light system foot print IE it wont slow down ya pc like Mcrappy or that norton rubbish does lol , i have used Avast though.....and then got rid of it cos ...again another system hog lol.AVG however was not a system hog, it just doesn't find anything lol...load of rubbish in my opinion .

so nod32 all the way it rocks...
DISCO_CRYPTONITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 00:29   #21
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodvan View Post
but I have used McAfee for 6 years with no problems.
Deviating slightly - now that's what I like to see, someone who still uses "legacy" software. I've been using version 7 - the last of the "true" designed antivirus packages for years without any problems either.

To me, the rot set in when V8 was introduced, I mean those earlier versions didn't install a load of additional (memory hogging) extras that weren't needed - they did/do exactly what it says on the box "and" they still work with the dat/super dat updates as well.

Progress, sigh............!

That's it and Si thee.
bw41101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 14:46   #22
r00t
Inactive

Services: Your pseudo 'tech' ego.
r00t has reached the bronze age
r00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze ager00t has reached the bronze age

http://moon-secure-antivirus.en.softonic.com/

Moon Secure Antivirus aims to be the best Free Antivirus for Windows under GPL license. It offers multiple scan engines, Net shield, Firewall, On access, on Exec scanner and rootkits preventions plus features from Commercial Antivirus applications.
r00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 15:13   #23
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
Nicely put together.

You should mention that Norton 2007 is the only third party firewall that is Vista compatible at the moment, Zonealarm has been saying 'real soon now' for months. Also I would recommend CBOclean as an ant-malware tool, this used to be the paid for BOclean but Comodo bought the company and released it as freeware http://www.comodo.com/boclean/boclean.html
ZoneAlarm does actually support Windows Vista fully...

http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm-Wi...-10710112.html

also you can head over to www.zonealarm.com/beta and download ZA Security Suite 7.1 Beta im currently using that and it is more stable on Windows Vista then any retail "Vista" version of ZA at the moment.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 23:39   #24
mouqeet
cf.addict

Services: VM
mouqeet is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Kaspersky internet security it is for money
mouqeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 12:49   #25
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy

Super Anti Spyware is pretty good as well I've had this for a while and had no probs

http://www.superantispyware.com/
PeteTheMusicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 22:48   #26
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

FYI: Firewall tests and comparisons here:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 17:45   #27
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Extreme bump!

This is a Bitdefender Total Security Free 6 month Trial if anyone is interested, the deal expires on 15/01/19.

https://www.bitdefender.com/media/ht...7&cid=aff|c|IR

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

The link is currently giving out random 404 page errors so please persevere.
Old 14-01-2019, 11:14   #28
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Just a heads up, this 6 month free trial expires on the 15th (tomorrow) if anyone has missed it, it seems to be a great piece of software with great reviews so 6 months free isn't to be sniffed at!
Old 04-01-2020, 13:29   #29
johanparker535
godfather

johanparker535 is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally prefer to use Avast antivirus.I can say this is by far the best one i have used.Not only it provides internet security but also gives double layer protection while doing online transactions through it avast bank mode features.One should definitely try this antivirus for its 2 in 1 action.
johanparker535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:36   #30
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Still using Eset Nod 32.Not found any good reason to leave.