Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The energy crisis

Old 01-10-2021, 11:03   #91
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Energy companies collapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
You'd think that with all the benefits that Double/Triple Glazing, Loft Insulation and Cavity Wall Insulation bring to homes, gas usage would be falling like a brick . . more so given the newer power generating technologies in place (wind turbines, solar power), so who's using it all?

Is the domestic customer paying the price for ever expanding business usage?
No…

https://assets.publishing.service.go...lectricity.pdf

Quote:
Electricity demand reached a record low in 2020 of 330.0 TWh, down 4.6 per cent compared to 2019.

Though electricity demand has been declining year on year since 2015, the larger reduction seen in 2020 was primarily a result of the response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Restrictions in response to Covid-19 led to decreased industrial and commercial electricity consumption, but higher domestic consumption. Industrial use of electricity, including iron and steel, was down 9.3 per cent in 2020 compared to 2019, and consumption by other final users, including the commercial sector, decreased by 11.2 per cent. Conversely, domestic consumption increased by 3.9 per cent in 2020, in comparison with 2019.
Quote:
Total generation capacity decreased in 2020 to 75.8 GW, a 2.7 per cent decrease on the 77.9 GW capacity in 2019. While there were increases in renewable capacity, in particular off-shore wind, this was offset by the closure of coal power station Fiddler’s Ferry and nuclear station Dungeness B.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2021, 11:13   #92
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
The British wholesale gas price for October delivery rose to 253p per therm.

That was up more than 17 per cent from the day before and means costs have more than doubled in a month.

Today marks the official start of the winter gas season when heating demand picks up.

Lower gas flows from Russia to Germany are behind the wholesale rises, coupled with fewer shipments of liquefied gas which is being snapped up by energy-hungry Asia.
Anybody would think this is being masterminded.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:15   #93
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Was just a thought (retired, too much time etc) that maybe the rapid automation of production/manufacturing processes was leading to us chasing our tails

edit: aaah yes, gas flow diverted to Asia, just in time for the Christmas rush in cheap tat
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:38   #94
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Do they? Or is that them just paying off arrears?
Those that can least afford to pay, quite often on pre payment meters, pay more. Aren't we a nice society ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58746953
Quote:
The latest change means:

Those on standard tariffs, with typical household levels of energy use, will see an increase of £139 - from £1,138 to £1,277 a year - to their bill
People with prepayment meters, with average energy use, will see an annual increase of £153 - from £1,156 to £1,309
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:50   #95
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Those that can least afford to pay, quite often on pre payment meters, pay more. Aren't we a nice society ?

It's food for thought on the levelling-up debate.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 14:53   #96
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

All the articles on the price cap always refer to households with 'average' energy use.

What is the definition of "average use" - how many actual KWH ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 15:10   #97
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
All the articles on the price cap always refer to households with 'average' energy use.

Your question got me wondering what the answer was. So far I have found this explanation but have to admit my brain is hurting trying to work out what relevance it has in real life situations as to my way of thinking there are far too many variables.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ology-note.pdf

I am sure many people use comparison sites, I use the MSE comparison site which uses my actual yearly usage to provide a more errr accurate guesstimation of what it would cost between the different suppliers. I refuse to class myself as part of an average family unit.
Old 01-10-2021, 15:22   #98
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I simply want to know what they base it on, so I can see how far above average my useage is, and therefore calculate roughly the maximum I should be paying.

That pdf seem to state ;
Quote:
To allow for equivalent comparisons in price year-to-year, domestic bills are calculated using
set, consistent levels of consumption for each type of energy used (Gas and Electricity).

Since March 2020 the revised levels are

• 13,600 kWh for Gas
• 3,600 kWh for Standard Electricity, and
• 5,100 kWh for Economy 7 Electricity

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

If they are true, then my electricity use is about average (except my Standard/E7 split, I use more Day, less Night). My Gas usage is definitely over average.

Old 01-10-2021, 16:15   #99
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
I simply want to know what they base it on, so I can see how far above average my useage is, and therefore calculate roughly the maximum I should be paying.

That pdf seem to state ;

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

If they are true, then my electricity use is about average (except my Standard/E7 split, I use more Day, less Night). My Gas usage is definitely over average.
That's what I found. I don't believe that an 'average usage' is anything more than an average calculation. The average can only reflect the parameters of the information gathered...real life has to many variations to allow such a calculation to be in any way accurate for any specific household .

OK my brain is complaining I have feeling that the twaddle I've just posted is beyoung understanding. , so I'm going to lie down in a dark room and just be glad I don't need to revisit this conundrum ever, ever again.
Old 01-10-2021, 16:29   #100
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
You'd think that with all the benefits that Double/Triple Glazing, Loft Insulation and Cavity Wall Insulation bring to homes, gas usage would be falling like a brick . . more so given the newer power generating technologies in place (wind turbines, solar power), so who's using it all?

Is the domestic customer paying the price for ever expanding business usage?
It's global warming it makes your house colder.
Old 01-10-2021, 16:32   #101
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
It's global warming it makes your house colder.
You just feel colder, becasue its so hot when you are outside.

Eventually, all that electricity will be for coolers, not heaters

Old 01-10-2021, 18:53   #102
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Wow!

I currently (until June 22) pay 16.467p per kWh for electricity & 3.182p per kWh for gas (plus standing charges).
I'm with Orbit. I suggested them to friends around the UK, but the "postcode lottery effect" gave them much higher quotes, but still better than they had.

Once the prices settle down, I'll be comparing for a better deal. But I suspect many companies will go to the limit to enable them to recoup the losses they are making with Fixed Deals.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Quote:
This something that OFGEM has never clarified AFAIK.

If you use less than the price cap level, can they charge you right up to the cap level?

If you use more than the price cap level, does all your usage get charged at a higher rate?

It is totally murky trying to get answers.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 19:19   #103
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

Why would those least able to pay be forced to remain on prepayment meters, unless they've had arrears at some point in the past? The bill still has to be paid.
I only had a PAYG meter because that is how it was when I moved in. It had to be freshly installed(fire damage from previously tenant) before they knew who was going to move in. I couldn't switch away from PAYG until a smart meter was installed, which I did 3 years ago.
One thing with prepayment meters is that they have to pay the retailers for having people top-up in person. Same as using credit cards. That is an extra cost.
My PAYG rate was cheaper than the credit meter rate by 0.56p/Kwh. Based upon my current smart meter device readings and the letters about the new rates, if I was still on PAYG I would be paying 1.44p/KWh less.
Difficult to be totally sure, because SSE have made such a mess over the tariffs they've informed me about. So many conflicting pieces of info from them.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I'm with Orbit. I suggested them to friends around the UK, but the "postcode lottery effect" gave them much higher quotes, but still better than they had.

Once the prices settle down, I'll be comparing for a better deal. But I suspect many companies will go to the limit to enable them to recoup the losses they are making with Fixed Deals.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

This something that OFGEM has never clarified AFAIK.

If you use less than the price cap level, can they charge you right up to the cap level?

If you use more than the price cap level, does all your usage get charged at a higher rate?

It is totally murky trying to get answers.
If you were charged more because of going above the price cap level, then surely your supplier would have to give you at least 2 different rates depending on usage. Does that happen for anyone?

Last edited by nomadking; 01-10-2021 at 20:24.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 20:27   #104
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
If you were charged more because of going above the price cap level, then surely your supplier would have to give you at least 2 different rates depending on usage. Does that happen for anyone?
I vaguely remember paying 2 different rates at one point a few years ago. But that was because there was no Standing Charge I think.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 20:44   #105
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I vaguely remember paying 2 different rates at one point a few years ago. But that was because there was no Standing Charge I think.
But they would have to inform you of those 2 rates, which is what I said. It couldn't be a hidden thing as Taf is suggesting.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote