Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Old 29-07-2018, 16:42   #13156
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star
Re: The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Good Luck to him Weenie
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2018, 16:53   #13157
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Thanks, nash he is quite excited tbh but at the same time not getting his hopes up (he is quite level-headed my youngest) I must admit the hours would be ideal as it's for Tesco weekend work, Saturday & Sunday 13:00-18:00 what we liked about these hours as his parents is the fact it will not interfere with his studying/homework plus the opportunity of overtime during the school holidays Christmas, Easter & summer etc where most need this time off to care for their children he is available if needed, hopefully, the store manager will see this point of view as a huge plus sign
Old 30-07-2018, 09:54   #13158
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
My youngest has his first job interview on Tuesday at 12-3pm.

Keep my fingers crossed for him weenie
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:06   #13159
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
My youngest has his first job interview on Tuesday at 12-3pm it seems it will be a group interview and since his Dad, brother and I have no experience of a group interview we can't advise all we can do is hope he gets it.

The main thing is to be proactive and ensure you're noticed I think. Offer helpful suggestions, interactive with people in a positive and constructive way and so on. Pretend the other people are your co-workers already.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:38   #13160
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Thank you, Tinky his big brother logged in to his Tesco-careers page and they went over things last night in where he discussed a lot in where he gave his little brother some examples of what may be asked and here are some questions with what my youngest answered.

Describe a time you have been put in a position of trust.
At the cadets, I'm trusted with another cadet to do the tuck shop this duty is for senior cadets where trust has been gained as it entails handling money and letting our Squadron Leader know if anything needs to be bought for the tuck shop for the following week.

Name a time a manager has introduced something you disagreed with, how did you react?
I have no experience of this as this is my first time applying for a job but at my school, we got a new headmaster two years ago in where he applied a new rule in regards to when he walks into a class the pupils have to stand, while I don't agree with this I do it out of respect of my Head Master the way I see it his school his rules.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully, I will be working in Tesco while studying at Uni.

Describe a time you worked in a team to reach a target.
At the RAF Cadets, we needed to raise funds we managed this in a variety of ways and what we did as part of a team was bag packing, 2 mile sponsored walk and selling raffle tickets by working as a team we quickly raised the funds we needed to keep our minibus running. (his brother has said do not say I did but refer to the answer as we did)

Describe an example of good customer service.
Good customer service is always being positive and willing to assist your customers to the best of your ability.

Name a time you have been disappointed.
When my best friend moved up to Aberdeen when I was 12, but we still stay in contact via the Xbox and calling each other plus when he comes down to visit family we always make time to catch up.

All we can hope now is he remains calm tbh I have no worries here as my youngest is quite level-headed compared to his peers.

---------- Post added at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The main thing is to be proactive and ensure you're noticed I think. Offer helpful suggestions, interactive with people in a positive and constructive way and so on. Pretend the other people are your co-workers already.
Just showed my youngest this and he say's will do and thanks

As my youngest has said if he does not the job at least it's experience which I think is a really good outlook on it.
Old 31-07-2018, 10:40   #13161
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I should say when 'pretending the other people are your co-workers' I mean in a cheesy advert 'everyone is nice' sorta way and not start slagging off customers kinda way.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 15:50   #13162
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Just sitting outside the store now and my tummy is in knots, I really hope he enjoyed his 1st interview and with a bit of luck his 1st job offer all being well.
He was there 15 minutes early don't know if this is the norm but I just thought better to show up early at that way it shows he is keen.
Old 31-07-2018, 18:37   #13163
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Update he does not think he has got the job as the lady who was interviewing him said if your not successful don't give up keep please keep applying as you made it this far and that alone is an excellent achievement for someone your age naturally this comment has now placed some doubt but overall he is delighted and said it was a great experience.

He was the youngest there and the closet to his age was a 19 year old.
Old 31-07-2018, 18:43   #13164
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Update he does not think he has got the job as the lady who was interviewing him said if your not successful don't give up keep please keep applying as you made it this far and that alone is an excellent achievement for someone your age naturally this comment has now placed some doubt but overall he is delighted and said it was a great experience.

He was the youngest there and the closet to his age was a 19 year old.
He may not get the job but it will have been a good learning experience and will have given him a good idea of the interview process. A more normal one to one interview will be a lot easier next time now he has seen how things work. Having said that I hope he gets offered a job. Fingers crossed.
Old 31-07-2018, 19:41   #13165
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Update he does not think he has got the job

Don't give up hope weenie, you may yet be pleasantly surprised.

My happy thought, I was dreading going to the dentist as I was diagnosed with mandibular tori

three months ago, and since then I have been ultra sensitive about lumps and bumps in my mouth. I recently 'discovered' small lumps on my front lower gums, but the dentist says they are perfectly normal saliva glands, it cost me £21.60 to find out, money well spent me thinks.
Old 31-07-2018, 21:57   #13166
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My niece "K" is still doing her strict diet, where she's eating more calores a week.

On Saturday we all went to Camden Market, but she had her own lunch box, and she did have a bad day with the amount of calories.

While there my sister asked me if she could go on holiday with us as she cannot be trusted to stay at home on her own while her GF is at work, of course I said.

So I phoned up the camp to make sure it wouldn't be an issue as its up to us if we want to put 5 people in a four person caravan.

The only thing is my sister has to come on Thursday to take her home on Friday for her councilling.

Last edited by Hom3r; 31-07-2018 at 22:21.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 00:49   #13167
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

@ Jo thank you, overall his group interview lasted a whopping three and a half hours but he seemed to have enjoyed the experience. A very nice lady who is being made redundant from The Royal Bank Of Scotland seemed to have taken my son under her wing today and for that I'm truly grateful and for what my youngest has said about her we both hope that she is successful in getting the job at Tesco.

@ Tinky thank you and yes that is £21.60 well spent, in regards to your sore mouth I find this mouthwash fantastic for things like mouth sores etc.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/s...h/910000392806

On a final note the pay shocked him when the group was told that should they be successful they would get £9.64 an hour so my son asked what his pay would be for under 18s and the lady said £9.64.

Last edited by weenie; 01-08-2018 at 00:53.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:50   #13168
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
@

On a final note the pay shocked him when the group was told that should they be successful they would get £9.64 an hour so my son asked what his pay would be for under 18s and the lady said £9.64.

Thanks for that weenie. Wow £9.64 per hour is a fortune, how times change. When I first started work aged 15, I got paid £125 per YEAR i.e. £2.50 per week 9-5 Mon-Fri + 9-12 Sat morning. Didn't get paid for the two weeks the firm closed in July. Gave my Mum £2 and had 50p to spend, off which I had to pay my bus fare to work 12 1/2p per week, so 35p left for stockings and entry to the Palais de Dance. Happy days!

Hope they get the job, keep us posted.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:39   #13169
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

I agree Tinky that is a really good pay for a 16-year-old and trust me I will be posting an update on the job front.

He has just applied to Asda but we have been told that Asda usually only employ 17-year-old but he just thought what the heck you don't try you don't get

Now he know's the pay supermarkets give he really does not want KFC, Subway, or McDonald's but saying that if this is all he can get then fast food restaurants it will be. His exact words were this would do for now as this would give me the experience needed, customers, tills, and the working environment.

Last edited by weenie; 01-08-2018 at 12:50.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:42   #13170
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

I know me again talking about my youngest and his job hunt

Well no news as yet on Tesco interview but last night he received an email from Asda stating that his application was unsuccessful and I could not believe what he did, he phoned Asda this morning and asked why his application was rejected and what he could do better his chances and they replied that although he passed the online assessment the job he applied was on counter and you need to be 18 but they do employ 16-year-olds and have advised him to keep looking, they advised him if he see's a job as Ambient Store Colleague or Produce Store Colleague then this job would be suited to his age so he got some really good feedback from them and now know's that Asda takes on 16-year-olds.

He is certainly on a mission as yesterday he went on the Home Bargains job log in page and printed off his CV and application form then got on his bike and cycled down to our local Home Bargains asked to speak to the manager and handed her the envelope containing this and you will never guess he has literally just got a phone call from our local store and he has been offered an interview tomorrow at 1 pm and IMO after the 3 and a 1/2 hour interview he had at Tesco this should be an easy one in comparison.

The pay is totally different from Home Bargains as his pay would be £5.22 whereas Tesco is £9.62, both jobs would be ideal but the pay in Tesco swings it in my opinion tbh even though it's 12 miles away, therefore, he would be relying on us to take him which is not a problem in any way, whereas Home Bargains is only walking distance from both our house and his school so location would be ideal for him.

These two jobs would suit him Tesco for the pay and Home Bargains simply because the location is ideal. He has asked me this morning if he get's offered both jobs what one should he take and I said Tesco, son but it's up to you.

Last edited by weenie; 02-08-2018 at 12:52.