Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | EU Speed Limiters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

EU Speed Limiters

Old 01-12-2021, 11:57   #46
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: EU Speed Limiters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Tesla doesn't have fully autonomous mode available to the general public as yet, drivers are still required to be in full control of the vehicle.

Personally, the sooner we get to a fully autonomous driving state the better, it potentially allows for those with mobility issues or visual impairment who can't currently drive to be able to experience the same freedoms as able bodied drivers currently do.
It's going to be a long long time until cars have the 'technology' advanced to the stage where a 'driver' can input a destination and sit back while the car does everything . . safely, at the right price, and with complete trust in it.

That time will probably arrive, as it did with the radio, televisions, the aeroplane, space flight etc, but there's a long way to go yet.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2021, 12:08   #47
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
It's going to be a long long time until cars have the 'technology' advanced to the stage where a 'driver' can input a destination and sit back while the car does everything . . safely, at the right price, and with complete trust in it.

That time will probably arrive, as it did with the radio, televisions, the aeroplane, space flight etc, but there's a long way to go yet.
Technologically it's not that far away perhaps in the next 5-10 yrs tops, perhaps even quicker.

The delay is going to come from regulation and public acceptance.
Old 01-12-2021, 16:16   #48
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
My TomTom includes lifetime map updates and has mobile chip to get new information on traffic etc, my car doesn't and I don't want and can't afford to have to buy new maps all the time. Who pays for that infrastructure? Oh we will of course.
All new cars in the EU that this will apply to are also mobile network connected as they have eCall.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...l/index_en.htm

Quote:
Compulsory for new car models
If you buy a new model of car, approved for manufacture after 31 March 2018, it must have the 112-based eCall system installed. This rule applies both to cars with no more than 8 seats and light commercial vehicles. If you have a car which is already registered, you are not obliged to retrofit an eCall device but you can have it installed if your car meets the technical requirements.
My car receives maps and other updates over this mobile connection via a data service configured by Skoda, but some of those features require a paid subscription. eCall is not one of those paid features, so it will be a question as to how this speed limit system keeps up to date.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:46   #49
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I never turn on the car's SatNav. I always attach my TomTom unit to the windscreen; there are no subscription catches and a consistent interface across both our cars.

The car speedometer is calibrated to show 30 when I'm actually doing 27 as displayed on the SatNav. It's around 76 on the car when the SatNav (which is correct) says 70.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:28   #50
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

With all the 'extra' gadgets fitted to cars nowadays, isn't it time they also added front & rear 'dashcams' as standard?

At least it would be something that's useful and always used* rather than turned off at the earliest opportunity.

* unless you're doing something illegal
Old 03-12-2021, 10:38   #51
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
With all the 'extra' gadgets fitted to cars nowadays, isn't it time they also added front & rear 'dashcams' as standard?

At least it would be something that's useful and always used* rather than turned off at the earliest opportunity.

* unless you're doing something illegal
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...speed-limiters

Things are moving in that direction.

Quote:
The mandatory speed limiters will be introduced at the same time as a raft of other safety equipment, which includes data loggers, autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, a driver fatigue detection system, reversing sensors or cameras, and pre-wiring for alcohol interlock devices. All new models given type approval from May 2022 onwards will be required to have these systems, while models on the market prior to that date must have them by May 2024.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:59   #52
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...speed-limiters

Things are moving in that direction.

~ autonomous emergency braking . . already got it.
~ lane keep assist . . already got it.
~ a driver fatigue detection system . . already got it (a warning after a lengthy driving time)
~ reversing sensors or cameras . . already got both. (and forward facing too)

still have to purchase 3rd party dash cams though
Old 03-12-2021, 11:10   #53
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I have some of those. Imagine trying to fit to classic cars though. Or many of the older vehicles on the road.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:06   #54
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
~ autonomous emergency braking . . already got it.
~ lane keep assist . . already got it.
~ a driver fatigue detection system . . already got it (a warning after a lengthy driving time)
~ reversing sensors or cameras . . already got both. (and forward facing too)

still have to purchase 3rd party dash cams though
Yup, my old 2013 M class had all of those, the driver fatigue system was particularly annoying (but very good at doing it's job) driving home from Manchester airport at 5am with the buzzer going and the alert on the dash because it detected erratic steering inputs.
Old 03-12-2021, 13:45   #55
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I have some of those. Imagine trying to fit to classic cars though. Or many of the older vehicles on the road.
No other advance in systems has ever been made a retrofit requirement on older vehicles in the UK so I can't see that happening now. Normally the natural attrition of older vehicles means that after a while most cars have the up-to-date systems.

There ia also the "loophole" that vehicles can be built in the UK by the owner to their own requirements or as a kit and so long as they meet conditions and use legislation, an inspection and pass an MOT can be legally driven on the highway and I'm sure most such home builds would not include limiters ar any thing else not essential to the plot.