Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Channels switched to MPEG4

Old 16-04-2019, 10:35   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Channels switched to MPEG4

Although these have tended to be posted in other discussions, like Coming Soon, given most of these switches of channels from MPEG2 to MPEG4 are just the same content delivered differently I am going to post any I find, here instead.

There's still plenty to be switched over, so this thread should be active for a wee while yet.

Mostly people won't notice any difference when channels are switched, unless the channels in question are moved about which has the unfortunate side effect of unFavouriting them from a user's Favourite Channels list (if you use it)

I'm not going to retroactively list any that have switched prior to this post.

--------------------

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

First up. The main BBC Red Button (on VM TV guide at 991), which I, briefly, thought has switched yesterday, until I checked on my box in the afternoon, has now switched over to MPEG4. It is showing as such on my V6 box now.

There doesn't seem to be any other changes overnight.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

------------

I see Media Boy has compiled two lists on his blog/website on the MPEG4 switches.

Channels still to move over - here
Channels moved to MPEG4 previously - here

Last edited by cheekyangus; 16-04-2019 at 10:41.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2019, 16:20   #2
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Channels switched to MPEG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
There doesn't seem to be any other changes overnight.

DBR's UK cable listing hasn't been updated and is marked as OFF. Any overnight changes won't be listed.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 16:38   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
DBR's UK cable listing hasn't been updated and is marked as OFF. Any overnight changes won't be listed.
I'm still new to DBR and hadn't looked at the front page before! I see what you mean epsilon. Thank you
Old 16-04-2019, 20:50   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Well the DBR website may not be updating for VM in the UK, but at least 3 more channels definitely switched over. They disappeared from my Favourites was the first clue and I then confirmed it by checking on my V6 box.

The channels that changed are Universal Channel, Movies 24, Movies 24+.

It's not the whole of Tsid 9 as I also checked CNBC and Syfy, and those were still MPEG2.

I may check more channels on Tsid 9 if I get a spare moment.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 16-04-2019 at 20:57.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:30   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

The DBR website is still not updating.

However two of my Favourited channels are no longer favourited, and again on further investigation they have both been switched over to MPEG4.

The two channels that have changed are Eurosport 1 (ch 523) and SyFy (ch 135).

That now makes 6 that have required re-Favouriting in the last few days (Universal Channel, Movies24, Movies24+ and BBC Red Button 1 being the others).
Old 17-04-2019, 15:14   #6
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

We can reveal the following channels has moved over to MPEG4 this week and HAS moved to new streams:

Tuesday:
-Quest Red
-God Channel
-Islam Channel Urdu
-Movies 24
-Movies 24+
-Universal Channel
-SYFY +1
-Universal Channel +1
-BBC Red Button 1

Wednesday:
-SYFY
-CNBC
-B4U Movies (We do not know if this channel has moved)
-B4U Music
-E!
-Sky Sports Football
-Eurosport 1
-Love Nature

Channels still to moved over to MPEG4:

-SkyWitness +1
-Television X
-Turner Classic Movies
-Adult Previews
-Comedy Central Extra
-FOX+1
-Eurosport 2
-Sky Sports News

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

UPDATE: B4U Movies has gone over to MPEG4.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 18:23   #7
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Channels still to moved over to MPEG4:

-SkyWitness +1
-Television X
-Turner Classic Movies
-Adult Previews
-Comedy Central Extra
-FOX+1
-Eurosport 2
-Sky Sports News
We posted that wee bit at the end of list due to Eurosport 1 and Love Nature being on the same stream as the channels listed until today.

We feel the channels listed will move to MPEG4 as soon as tomorrow.
Old 17-04-2019, 18:46   #8
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
We posted that wee bit at the end of list due to Eurosport 1 and Love Nature being on the same stream as the channels listed until today.

We feel the channels listed will move to MPEG4 as soon as tomorrow.
I was thinking the same. It worked that way last week.
Old 18-04-2019, 08:25   #9
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

We can reveal the following channels has moved over to MPEG4 today and HAS moved to new streams:

Thursday:
-SkyWitness +1
-Television X
-Turner Classic Movies
-Adult Previews
-Comedy Central Extra
-FOX+1
-Eurosport 2
-Sky Sports News
Old 18-04-2019, 10:36   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
We can reveal the following channels has moved over to MPEG4 today and HAS moved to new streams:

Thursday:
-SkyWitness +1
-Television X
-Turner Classic Movies
-Adult Previews
-Comedy Central Extra
-FOX+1
-Eurosport 2
-Sky Sports News
Well that switch obviously messed something up. I'm getting none of those channels now, just an "unavailable" V53 error message on the 6 of those I tried. And that was after a reboot.
Old 18-04-2019, 12:07   #11
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

I'm getting the same error with Turner Classic Movies, Fox +1, Comedy Central Extra and Eurosport 2. I've also rebooted the V6 and reset the network
newapollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:21   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapollo View Post
I'm getting the same error with Turner Classic Movies, Fox +1, Comedy Central Extra and Eurosport 2. I've also rebooted the V6 and reset the network
The ever helpful spiderplant is looking into it. It's not happening for everyone apparently.

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

----------
It's been fixed for me now. Thanks to spiderplant.
Old 21-04-2019, 18:37   #13
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ve=209&lang=en

Digital BitRate is updating again.

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

10 Streams has still to join MPEG4 so we have work out.

-If Virgin Media add 5 streams to MPEG4 every two weeks we feel it will end on May 14th.

-We feel the next streams will join on April 29th.

C046
-alibi +1

C053
-Kerrang

C054
-ITVBe

C064
-I.D.

C065
-Sky Action

C067
-Sky Sports Racing

C068
-Desi Entertainment

C069
-BBC Parliament

C070
-New Music On Demand

C073
-Vevo
Old 22-04-2019, 09:56   #14
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Another week, another set of switches on the way (based on DigitalBitRate).

There are no names and no screen grabs, just a several sets of "New San Nom", so no idea which ones are changing over. There are 9 on Tsid 3 and 10 on Tsid 2.

What is clear is they will be moving stream so will require to be re-added to your Favourites list if they were on it.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 22-04-2019 at 10:02.
Old 22-04-2019, 10:13   #15
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Those look more like data right now than tv/radio channels.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote