Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 10-11-2020, 10:33   #61
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Yeah the Hub 4.0 has to be the least "future proof" and hopefully shortest lived hub from virgin ever.
It will have no issue with all of the lower-than-1Gbit tiers of service once DOCSIS 3.1 is available across the network.

So I'd think it's going to be around for a while.
Old 10-11-2020, 18:16   #62
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

From a consumer point of view, I do wish Virgin would offer at least the choice of having a dedicated cable modem. After all, the people who will actually make good use of such high speeds as 1Gig will likely want to use their own router (they may even have an old PC dedicated to this task) and other networking hardware.

I'm on 350 Meg (given the choice, I'd go for the Gig) and I have *never* used my Superhub 3 as a router. I would far rather have a dedicated cable modem.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 21:06   #63
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Glad to see they are keeping the webpages up to date. From my account:

Our broadband doesn't get quicker than this.
You're on our top speed broadband tier!

Meanwhile there's a banner stating that 1Gb is available now
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 13:46   #64
oscarandjo
cf.member

oscarandjo is on a distinguished roadoscarandjo is on a distinguished road

Now they've got to fix the price.

In my city (Southampton), Toob 900/900 down/up FTTH = £25/month. Virgin 1000/52 down/up Copper = £62/month.

Who in their right mind would pick Virgin's string and copper network over a brand new FTTH symmetrical connection for 2/5ths the price?
oscarandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 21:44   #65
horrorwood
cf.member

horrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarandjo View Post
Now they've got to fix the price.

In my city (Southampton), Toob 900/900 down/up FTTH = £25/month. Virgin 1000/52 down/up Copper = £62/month.

Who in their right mind would pick Virgin's string and copper network over a brand new FTTH symmetrical connection for 2/5ths the price?
Those that don't know any better unfortunately.
horrorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 21:48   #66
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

I came across this recent technical discussion for bonding LAN ports together on the Virgin / Arris Superhub series to give greater than 1Gbit throughput on modem mode.
https://tech.msh100.uk/virgin/networ...ter-than-gbit/
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 11:14   #67
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

Yet business is still stuck on 500/35. (I could actually do with the upload increase when transferring stuff to the office)
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 15:33   #68
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

They haven't, in the past, done automatic speed upgrades on business, so suspect little prospect of the 500/35 service going to 600 as residential has done. Would be great if they did though.

The 1 Gb/s service requires a new hub, so they would need one with business firmware to support the fixed IP options. Suspect one will be available in due course though.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 12:22   #69
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road

1 gig service being installed today in Belfast. Wish me luck.
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 13:25   #70
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 13:33   #71
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
They haven't, in the past, done automatic speed upgrades on business, so suspect little prospect of the 500/35 service going to 600 as residential has done. Would be great if they did though.

The 1 Gb/s service requires a new hub, so they would need one with business firmware to support the fixed IP options. Suspect one will be available in due course though.
I'm not expecting a free upgrade, I'd happily pay extra for the service.

Just seems odd that the Residential service has a higher tier (double the download and a reasonable bump on upload) than the business service, obviously new hardware is required but that's something that is in their control.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 21:29   #72
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Hopefully the faster tiers will come to the business service soon. I seem to remember the business 200 Mb/s service was before residential, but usually the business service lags a bit when new tiers are available.

I wonder if they have decided on a business hub for the 1Gb/s service that caters for the fixed IP address options.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 05:25   #73
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Is the 1GB upgrade available to Ultimate Oomph subscribers - once their area is enabled?
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 09:34   #74
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes, but that's a paid increase in top of Ultimate Oomph with M500 or M600
Old 19-11-2020, 14:42   #75
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Thanks - any idea on what the standard difference is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes, but that's a paid increase in top of Ultimate Oomph with M500 or M600
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote