Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 14-02-2021, 14:18   #1681
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
OB shifts the goal posts more times than VAR.
Old 14-02-2021, 16:41   #1682
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
What is your point? I was criticised for referring to those TV channels as linear back in the day!

You are just playing with words. You know perfectly well what I am saying.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I think you are hallucinating, Legendkiller. My goalposts are still in place. Nothing has moved.
Old 14-02-2021, 16:53   #1683
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Everyone else separately and independently is playing with words Old Boy, and pretending to misunderstand you, just for our own entertainment.

Occam's razor, Old Boy. Those goalposts are indeed the most mobile since I played Subbuteo.
Old 14-02-2021, 18:05   #1684
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Old 14-02-2021, 18:42   #1685
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

From mid last year.

https://www.protocol.com/plex-live-tv-linear-streaming
Quote:
With 24/7 programming, the future of TV looks a lot like its past

Plex is the latest video service to add linear online TV channels, a trend that could accelerate cord cutting.

Plex is bringing back the cable grid. The popular media center app added 80 live TV channels Thursday, complete with a programming guide that will look very familiar to anyone who has ever subscribed to pay TV, albeit with a few key differences: Plex's new live TV service is free to use, and it doesn't feature popular cable channels like CNN, TBS or Lifetime.

Instead, its lineup includes channels like Reuters, Toon Goggles and the Bob Ross Channel. This type of ad-supported linear programming is growing in popularity across the industry; with consumers forced to tighten their belts, it could further contribute to cord cutting and fasten the shift from cable bundles to online video — a future that may, at least to consumers, look very much like the best of TV's past.

Plex has long positioned itself as an app for cord cutters, with free on-demand video and DVR functionality for broadcast TV networks. With its 80 new live TV channels, the company wants to offer its customers an experience that's closer to the lean-back viewing known from traditional pay TV. The Los Gatos-based startup has plans to add another 50 to 100 channels in the coming months.
Quote:
The trend toward 24/7 linear streaming is in part driven by a handful of startups, including Frequency, Wurl and Amagi, that have developed technology to program video assets in a TV-like fashion. While linear streaming channels used to be little more than playlists, they now feature channel IDs, and ad breaks aren't interrupting actors midsentence anymore. The next step will be to marry those linear channels with on-demand assets, allowing viewers who stumble across a certain show to explore the rest of a season. "Linear as a discovery tool to other content is really important," Opeka said.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 14-02-2021, 20:07   #1686
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What is your point? I was criticised for referring to those TV channels as linear back in the day!

You are just playing with words. You know perfectly well what I am saying.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

I think you are hallucinating, Legendkiller. My goalposts are still in place. Nothing has moved.
Tbf i probably am as my team Wolves won so not sure if it's real or not.
Old 14-02-2021, 22:24   #1687
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I think there's a debate to be had about the future of the EPG or how we access content. But I'm not sure we're they're yet in this slippery thread.
Old 15-02-2021, 10:37   #1688
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think there's a debate to be had about the future of the EPG or how we access content. But I'm not sure we're they're yet in this slippery thread.
Really I'm not so sure , all the streaming services in the USA what carry live TV still use some form EPG.
Old 15-02-2021, 12:52   #1689
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Really I'm not so sure , all the streaming services in the USA what carry live TV still use some form EPG.
Indeed it does this is a screenshot from my hulu showing the EPG.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (568.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 15-02-2021, 12:55   #1690
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
There was a (small) bit about that in the linked article above.
Quote:
A better integration of live and on-demand could ultimately also lead to better interfaces than the traditional grid guide, Birgfeld said. "The guide has always been a necessary evil," he said, adding that many companies simply stuck to it for legacy reasons. "It's not because it's the best solution."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 15-02-2021, 12:56   #1691
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Indeed it does this is a screenshot from my hulu showing the EPG.
Looks more like the late 1990s than the 2030s to me
Old 15-02-2021, 14:00   #1692
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Looks more like the late 1990s than the 2030s to me
Yeah lol they do need to update it it is better on the Sheild though quick slick.
Old 28-02-2021, 01:15   #1693
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Everyone else separately and independently is playing with words Old Boy, and pretending to misunderstand you, just for our own entertainment.

Occam's razor, Old Boy. Those goalposts are indeed the most mobile since I played Subbuteo.
Thank you for confirming that all these posts over many years now are just the nonsense that I have thought they were.

How childish. However, boys will play...
Old 28-02-2021, 09:43   #1694
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Thank you for confirming that all these posts over many years now are just the nonsense that I have thought they were.

How childish. However, boys will play...
I read jfman's comments as being sarcastic and indicating two possible versions of events:
1) Everyone else is playing with words and pretending to misunderstand you.
2) You have given everyone the impression that you move the goalposts when you are in danger of losing the discussion, by time frame or by definition of what is being discussed.
Old 28-02-2021, 11:30   #1695
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I read jfman's comments as being sarcastic and indicating two possible versions of events:
1) Everyone else is playing with words and pretending to misunderstand you.
2) You have given everyone the impression that you move the goalposts when you are in danger of losing the discussion, by time frame or by definition of what is being discussed.
No, I haven't shifted goalposts. The usual suspects are simply trying to create that impression. I'm not going over this again.