Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 21-02-2021, 22:44   #3721
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Whether or not an independent Scotland eventually was able to join the EU, there would have to be a hard border and tariffs, with England, Wales, and NI, and the EU.

If a Scotland-UK agreement was reached, that would block any potential EU agreement, that is unless the premise of the NI backstop situation was totally bogus.
Scotland would lose any access to any trade agreements the UK, has and may come to.
Any advantage Ireland has had from the boom in tech industries, would not be available to Scotland. What is the likelihood of new major Google type industries starting up that could set up in Scotland? Any advantage that there might be for Scotland in that situation, would apply even more so to England, Wales, and NI.
If Scotland left the UK, there's no reason why it couldn't negotiate to remain in the UK single market and customs union which would mean no hard border with the UK. And no reason why it couldn't negotiate a smilar tariff-free trade deal with the EU. I'm not sure what makes you think this is impossible.

In time, both the UK and Scotland could join the EU but it would be easier if they did so at the same time.

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Seemed to me and a lot of others as a self-evident truth.
You're still the Remainer you ever were.

I think the only political thing upon which we agree is the folly of Scottish independence.
I'm sure you and Hugh agree on hundreds of political things from the market economy to human rights to the rights of a country to defend itself with arms. No one agrees on everything which is why discussion forums are always more interesting than echo chambers.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2021, 22:46   #3722
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If Scotland left the UK, there's no reason why it couldn't negotiate to remain in the UK single market and customs ......I'm not sure what makes you think this is impossible.
Absolutely not impossible, access to their fishing, oil, etc.............would all be on the table.
Old 21-02-2021, 23:01   #3723
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
If Scotland left the UK, there's no reason why it couldn't negotiate to remain in the UK single market and customs union which would mean no hard border with the UK. And no reason why it couldn't negotiate a smilar tariff-free trade deal with the EU. I'm not sure what makes you think this is impossible.

In time, both the UK and Scotland could join the EU but it would be easier if they did so at the same time.
So why did the EU(especially Ireland) insist on there being effectively a border between GB and NI. The same EU arguments would still be there, eg preserving the integrity of the EU single market.
Considering that to join the EU, Scotland would have to have their own currency, reduce their deficit to less than 3%, and maintain it for at least 2 years(iirc), then Scotland joining the EU is very much a non-starter, and by some miracle would still be years away.
The only thing Scotland has to offer the EU, is fishing waters. Is that going to be enough, considering how much Scotland will cost the EU.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 23:10   #3724
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

By the time they might get independence, there'll be a much smaller market in England for their oil.

Obviously it makes sense for us to import "Scottish" fish. But this will be EU fish and a hell of a bunfight over fishing rights generally can be expected. Scotland won't have control.

What would the "etc" be? Pity you stopped there. I can't find on a quick trawl figures for Scottish meat supplied to England but I can't see anything stopping England from compensating production accordingly.

I think that Scottish independence would be a very bitter affair.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 23:27   #3725
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
So why did the EU(especially Ireland) insist on there being effectively a border between GB and NI. The same EU arguments would still be there, eg preserving the integrity of the EU single market.
Considering that to join the EU, Scotland would have to have their own currency, reduce their deficit to less than 3%, and maintain it for at least 2 years(iirc), then Scotland joining the EU is very much a non-starter, and by some miracle would still be years away.
The only thing Scotland has to offer the EU, is fishing waters. Is that going to be enough, considering how much Scotland will cost the EU.
It's not me who's suggesting that Scotland will join the EU any time soon! Others have suggested this will happen in the event of an independence vote and you have suggested some reasons as to why it won't. But I'm not sure a country having its own currency is an EU entry requirement.

It's WTO rules that necessitate require trade borders.

How much would Scotland cost the EU? It's far richer than accession country Republic of North Macedonia.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 21-02-2021 at 23:31.
Old 21-02-2021, 23:41   #3726
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It's not me who's suggesting that Scotland will join the EU any time soon! Others have suggested this will happen in the event of an independence vote and you have suggested some reasons as to why it won't. But I'm not sure a country having its own currency is an EU entry requirement.

How much would Scotland cost the EU? It's far richer than accession country Republic of North Macedonia.
That's not saying much for Scotland!

On the cost of Scotland joining the EU, this is useful:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55921961

Quote:
A new economic study into trade concludes that the costs of Scottish independence would be two to three times greater than the impact from Brexit, and that joining the European Union would do little to offset that cost.

The SNP response is that there is no reason why Scotland cannot emulate the success of other countries of a similar size.

Old 21-02-2021, 23:56   #3727
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:

There would still need to be hard borders etc, in the meantime.
They need their own currency in order to demonstrate fiscal responsibility.
They would then have to give up that currency to adopt the Euro.
Whatever way you look at it, Scotland is running a deficit of well over 3%. Scotland and Wales are looking for the EU to prop them up.
If by some miracle Scotland no longer had a deficit, then they definitely would have, after contributing to EU funds.
North Macedonia's deficit for 2019 was around 2%.

The amount of Scotland's annual deficit is more than 10 times the amount of North Macedonia.

EU countries cannot have trade agreements outside of the EU. Scotland cannot have a trade deal with the UK and be a member of the EU.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 00:26   #3728
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Seemed to me and a lot of others as a self-evident truth.
You're still the Remainer you ever were.

I think the only political thing upon which we agree is the folly of Scottish independence.
How can someone saying
Quote:
Reasons given included extra costs and delays in getting the goods into the UK and an unwillingness to buy EU goods given the attitude of the EU to trade with us in recent months.
when that wasn’t one of the reasons given, be a "self evident truth"?

He stated something was in the survey results that wasn’t in the survey results - or, as everyone who can recognise reality would call it, a lie...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 00:40   #3729
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
How can someone saying when that wasn’t one of the reasons given, be a "self evident truth"?

He stated something was in the survey results that wasn’t in the survey results - or, as everyone who can recognise reality would call it, a lie...
I accept that unwillingness to buy EU goods as a valid extrapolation. He's absolutely right in the totality of what he says.

Is there a public backlash towards the EU? I certainly think so. And there will be a similar backlash against Scotland, perhaps even more severe, if it gains independence.

Old 22-02-2021, 10:28   #3730
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I accept that unwillingness to buy EU goods as a valid extrapolation. He's absolutely right in the totality of what he says.

Is there a public backlash towards the EU? I certainly think so. And there will be a similar backlash against Scotland, perhaps even more severe, if it gains independence.

I think you need to prove intent with lying. So a statement that "we hold all the cards" may be factually incorrect, but if the person saying it believes it be true, then it's not lying.

Of course, if they're daft enough to promote such incorrect information then they shouldn't be in a position of responsibility anyway!
Old 22-02-2021, 10:33   #3731
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
I think you need to prove intent with lying. So a statement that "we hold all the cards" may be factually incorrect, but if the person saying it believes it be true, then it's not lying.

Of course, if they're daft enough to promote such incorrect information then they shouldn't be in a position of responsibility anyway!
well, of course but only to the extent that the EU’s likely hostility should have been foreseen.

Old 22-02-2021, 10:53   #3732
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
well, of course but only to the extent that the EU’s likely hostility should have been foreseen.
Regardless of anything else that was to come, we did not hold all the cards.
Old 22-02-2021, 13:08   #3733
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Regardless of anything else that was to come, we did not hold all the cards.
But for Mrs May, we had a reasonably strong hand - called £39 billion. She gave way by letting them dictate the order of negotiations.
We should have simply walked away with the offer that they could approach us with their offer/suggestions.

She royally screwed us over.

Old 22-02-2021, 14:31   #3734
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Made stuff up that wasn’t said - OK, then...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 14:36   #3735
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Made stuff up that wasn’t said - OK, then...
Artistic licence