Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 25-01-2021, 19:22   #3601
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Well if they do go independent they should NOT be allowed to keep Sterling.
Old 25-01-2021, 20:02   #3602
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
My late grandad was born in Glasgow (Gorbals), but grew up in Edinburgh.

He fought in WWII to defend the UK and not Scotland, he would be spinning in his grave at how the SNP are attempting to destroy the Union and bankrupt Scotland.

I would like to know how the SNP will fund all of Scotland needs with 5.46 million people, bearing in mind roughly 1/2 of these will not be taxpayers. (bearing in mind London has a population of 9.3 million).

They would lose their free prescriptions to start, would they be allowed to keep and use Stirling, I guess the Army they would have to pay for, and we should protect the waters around the island.

But what about the border, Scotland would be in neither the UK nor EU, so would need some kind of ID to enter the UK to access the ports to Europe in the South.
Not to mention the loss of the Barnett formula, declining revenue from North Sea oil and the cost of all those new government departments they’d have to set up.

The SNP does not appear to have a plan on how to make up the huge revenue deficiency that would arise from separation.

Incidentally, the analogy with Brexit is just plain wrong. Most Brexiteers saw either better job prospects for themselves or better global trading opportunities. They did not vote to be poorer. That was just Remainer hype.
Old 25-01-2021, 20:03   #3603
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Anyone who thinks that Boris leaving would make any difference is living in fantasy land.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 20:13   #3604
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Anyone who thinks that Boris leaving would make any difference is living in fantasy land.
Quite. It’s the English that are their perceived problem.

They begged to be part of us a few hundred years ago when they were bankrupt.

What will happen next time they ask, when they realise they can’t make it on their own?
Old 25-01-2021, 21:28   #3605
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Others disagree. Stephen Glover for example. Look at the evidence - two key issues fanning independence are Boris and Brexit. We can't change the folly of Brexit but we can change Boris.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 21:44   #3606
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Others disagree. Stephen Glover for example. Look at the evidence - two key issues fanning independence are Boris and Brexit. We can't change the folly of Brexit but we can change Boris.
So there was no appetite for independence before Boris or Brexit?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 22:11   #3607
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

No, andrew just likes to argue with everything, I think hes jfmans twin brother

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 22:36   #3608
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Isn't that what threads like this are for?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 23:43   #3609
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
So there was no appetite for independence before Boris or Brexit?
Can you show me where I said there was no appetite for independence before Boris or Brexit?
---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I agree, Seph, but equally I accept that others may not agree with us.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 25-01-2021 at 23:46.
Old 25-01-2021, 23:49   #3610
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:

Sounds more like his Wife if you ask me ...
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 12:00   #3611
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I don’t think so, Seph, I think these forums are for discussions, not nitpicking arguments.

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Quote:
Can you show me where I said there was no appetite for independence before Boris or Brexit? [
You implied it, Andrew, by saying that Boris and Brexit were the problems preventing the Scots from voting for the union.
Old 26-01-2021, 12:11   #3612
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You implied it, Andrew, by saying that Boris and Brexit were the problems preventing the Scots from voting for the union.
I didn't say or imply that which is why Nomad King was unable to answer my question. I said "two key issues fanning independence are Boris and Brexit". Perhaps I should have typed a longer sentence like ""two key issues fanning the flames of independence are Boris and Brexit" to avoid any misunderstanding.

That doesn't mean that there wasn't an independence movement around before these two aspects came into play. There clearly was as there was a referendum in 2014.

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Quote:
I don’t think so, Seph, I think these forums are for discussions, not nitpicking arguments
Citing two articles which point out that Boris is unpopular in Scotland and is therefore increasing the independence vote is not nick-picking in my book but I appreciate that you may see it differently.
Old 26-01-2021, 12:13   #3613
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I didn't say or imply that which is why Nomad King was unable to answer my question. I said "two key issues fanning independence are Boris and Brexit". Perhaps I should have typed a longer sentence like ""two key issues fanning the flames of independence are Boris and Brexit" to avoid any misunderstanding.

That doesn't mean that there wasn't an independence movement around before these two aspects came into play. There clearly was as there was a referendum in 2014.
Which is why if we didn’t have Boris and Brexit, the whining of the separatists would continue anyhoo! They will always find an excuse for yet another referendum!
Old 26-01-2021, 12:26   #3614
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Which is why if we didn’t have Boris and Brexit, the whining of the separatists would continue anyhoo! They will always find an excuse for yet another referendum!
I agree that Scottish Nationalists would continue to make their case, but there seems to be a correlation between Brexit and BoJo and the rise in Scottish nationalism.

The fact that both are unpopular north of the border and that polls are now tilting in favour of independence cannot be denied.
Old 26-01-2021, 12:40   #3615
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I agree that Scottish Nationalists would continue to make their case, but there seems to be a correlation between Brexit and BoJo and the rise in Scottish nationalism.

The fact that both are unpopular north of the border and that polls are now tilting in favour of independence cannot be denied.
There is some detailed polling here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-55803103

The rise in support for independence is not being driven by the completion of Brexit; that was priced in after the 2016 referendum. The way the covid crisis has unfolded and perceptions of how Sturgeon and Boris have handled it are at the root of current polling.

Polls like these are largely driven by emotional considerations. Hard practicalities are faced in the polling booth - this is why opposition parties poll well mid-term and then go on to lose the next election. We all like to believe the grass might be greener but when it’s decision time we need to be pretty sure it is before we take the leap.

The fundamentals that drove the vote in 2014 haven’t changed. Scotland would pay an exorbitant bill for taking itself out of the UK and would face social and economic upheaval in its relationship with England that would make the problems we presently face at the channel ports look like a Wednesday afternoon in Trumpton. Every single argument against Brexit can be levelled against Scexit, except it’s exponentially worse, because Scotland’s economic and social ties to England run far deeper than those of the UK to the EU, while Scotland’s resources deployable in mitigation of the upheaval are far less. Yet these sorts of questions tend not to be addressed by people answering opinion polls.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote